Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello from Shanghai, I・m near here and wonder anyone can help me to decided whether to buy a Sony P900 or a Treo 600.

Currently I・m using a Sony P800 and quite happy with it but then I saw the new Treo 600 and was amazed with the design and mature software support form Palm. I・m confuse now whether to upgrade to P900 or to buy a Treo 600.
    This has been discussed over and over..please do a topic search.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Well, aside from the spec differences, you have to ask yourself what you primary tasks and needs are for a device. If you truely enjoy and require BT and a numeric keypad, go for the P900. But if you prefer PalmOS and want a thumbboard, then go for the Treo600. That's basically the gist of the differences for me... Of course there are other major points like the better camera capable of video on the P900 and (slightly) higher rez screen but these are overcome in my perspective by the overall design of the Treo600 (yes I'm biased). Furthermore, I can't use any of my required apps on Symbian UIQ, so it's not an option for me but YMMV...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The major difference has to be the OSs.

The size & weight are very similar and feature set is also close. I prefer thumboard over keypad any day which also might tip it the Treo's way.

SE have better support but now that Handspring is part of PalmOne that isn't so much of an issue.

The OS though decides what additional applications are available and PalmOS is ahead of Symbian in that dept.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    FYI, The Register has posted reviews for both the Treo600 and P900. Check them out below for an interesting comparison...

The Register PalmOne Treo 600 smartphone review

The Register Sony Ericsson P900 smartphone review

Another feature I think is significant difference is the stylus free nature of the Treo600 as opposed to the P900. I personally dislike smartphone devices that require me to continuously remove the stylus to enter information/naviagate menus etc. Of course the P900 also has nav pad integration, but it is a much more stylus based interface than the Treo600. In this regard I believe the Treo600 wins hands down...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Well, aside from the spec differences, you have to ask yourself what you primary tasks and needs are for a device. If you truely enjoy and require BT and a numeric keypad, go for the P900. But if you prefer PalmOS and want a thumbboard, then go for the Treo600. That's basically the gist of the differences for me... Of course there are other major points like the better camera capable of video on the P900 and (slightly) higher rez screen but these are overcome in my perspective by the overall design of the Treo600 (yes I'm biased). Furthermore, I can't use any of my required apps on Symbian UIQ, so it's not an option for me but YMMV...
    I own a 270.
    Maybe the best question would be:
    Will the P900 make me forget my Treo or will I spend the rest of my life kicking myself for not upgrading to the T600?

jojoc
    Definitely TREO 600.....

There is no comparison between the two... I like sony for my electronics at home but not for my PDA, I'll stick with my TREO 600..... Problem with P900 is proprietory memory stick.... Does not have qwerty keyboard.... etc.....
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    Originally posted by superman
    Definitely TREO 600.....

There is no comparison between the two... I like sony for my electronics at home but not for my PDA, I'll stick with my TREO 600..... Problem with P900 is proprietory memory stick.... Does not have qwerty keyboard.... etc.....
    I couldn't agree more! But Handspring support here in the Philippines is virtually non-existent.

My internal battery died on me after a year and a half. Called up the local distributor and was told they had NEVER had such stock, and they would have to refer it to the Hongkong main office.

Got an email just now from Hongkong: "Hi User, There is no parts selling from HS, price at HK 800 that around US$ 110-115."

US$110 for a battery?

Of what use is owning a Treo when its product support sucks?

Support for Sony products (spare parts & service) in the Philippines is unparalleled.

I guess I will have to reorient my life with a phone/pda gadget (vs a pda/phone) and get used to living without a qwerty keyboard.

jojo c
    I'm sorry to hear that Jojoc..... I was in the impression that palmone is supporting handspring there....

Just to let you know, Pilipino rin ako..... Ano ba ang Treo mo? kung gusto mo hanap kita ng parts dito.... uuwi ang magulang ko sa pasko.....I can get them to ship it to you.

o sige.....
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    Originally posted by superman
    I'm sorry to hear that Jojoc..... I was in the impression that palmone is supporting handspring there....

Just to let you know, Pilipino rin ako..... Ano ba ang Treo mo? kung gusto mo hanap kita ng parts dito.... uuwi ang magulang ko sa pasko.....I can get them to ship it to you.

o sige.....
    Thanks very much for your offer, Superman.

The Philippine distributor made me a counter offer: Exchange my dead 270 for a new one for about US$ 145.00.

Am mulling it over.

Maybe they're up to their necks in inventory.
    Could be....

Maybe they commiserated with a loyal Treo diehard like me.
    Naahhh....

Food for thought: What was Handspring thinking...that the 270 would be obsolete by the time the battery conks out? Is that why no provisions were made for a replacement battery?

jojoc
    Originally posted by jojoc

I couldn't agree more! But Handspring support here in the Philippines is virtually non-existent.

My internal battery died on me after a year and a half. Called up the local distributor and was told they had NEVER had such stock, and they would have to refer it to the Hongkong main office.

Got an email just now from Hongkong: "Hi User, There is no parts selling from HS, price at HK 800 that around US$ 110-115."

US$110 for a battery?

Of what use is owning a Treo when its product support sucks?

Support for Sony products (spare parts & service) in the Philippines is unparalleled.

I guess I will have to reorient my life with a phone/pda gadget (vs a pda/phone) and get used to living without a qwerty keyboard.

jojo c
    jojoc,

Have your tried ordering a replacement battery for your Treo270 from this site?

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...ref=14-0024-00

It's $49 USD for a new replacement battery...However I don't know how much it would cost to ship to the Philippines....

Have your tried ordering a replacement battery for your Treo270 from this site?

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...ref=14-0024-00

However I don't know how much it would cost to ship to the Philippines....
    Yeah, I've seen that site. Superman offered to send one (his parents are coming over this Xmas) so shipping costs would be no problem.

The local distributor made me a counter offer: trade in my dead 270 for a new one and add about US$ 145.00.

I'm thinking of taking up their offer, give it to my daughter then go buy me a P900. I love my Treo but there comes that time in my life that I have to let go.

What do you think?

jojoc
    hmmm....dead 270 + $145 USD for a new Treo270? I dunno...that doesn't sound like that great a deal to me considering you can get a Treo270 off ebay for around $150-200 bucks anyway...I'ld probably just get a new Treo600!

hmmm....dead 270 + $145 USD for a new Treo270? I dunno...that doesn't sound like that great a deal to me considering you can get a Treo270 off ebay for around $150-200 bucks anyway...I'ld probably just get a new Treo600!
    But I may have a hard time looking for a Treo GSM phone at ebay. CDMA does not exist in the Philippines.

My love for my 270 and my lust for the T600 have not diminished. But with no product support here, I'm resigned to taking a long, hard look at the P900.

By the way, the initial batch of T600s that reached the Philippines are certified lemons. I know of 4 acquaintances who are on their third or fourth replacements.

jojoc
    hey! i'm from the philippines too. and i'm experiencing the same problem now. i can't decide between Treo600 and P900. i know that PDA-wise, it's hands down Treo600 but the features that P900 is carrying is quite hard to turn down. i mean, is there a way for Treo to have mp3 format/.wav file ringtones? and i know that Treo can take videos just as long as an application is downloaded and installed. i know that these concerns are petty but i'm a teenager and i guess i would like to have a phone which can carry mp3s and have .wav file ringtones. i do like the qwerty board of Treo600 though. my aunt and mom are asking me to hurry up in deciding. please help, and would it matter that this is a treo-centered forum? hehehe thanks!
    I'm just a girl.
    Originally posted by juzAgirl
    hey! i can't decide between Treo600 and P900. i know that PDA-wise, it's hands down Treo600 but the features that P900 is carrying is quite hard to turn down. My aunt and mom are asking me to hurry up in deciding. please help, and would it matter that this is a treo-centered forum? hehehe thanks!
    Lemme tell you of this incident. I was at a shop purchasing a screen protector for my brand-new P900 when I spotted this lady trying to have the shop's technician install some programs for her 2-week old T600.

We started comparing our units and she told me that her T600 rattles, she can't read a thing under the sunlight, she wishes it had bluetootrh, the SD card sticks out and she can't install mp3 music files (the reason why she was at this shop).

She was surprised when told that the P900 had everything of the above, the only drawback being there are more Palm applications vs. Symbian (easily rectified as I was able to purchase 2 CDs full of P800/900 applications from E-Bay).

One more thing, she commented that I was accessing her T600 applications with ease and asked if I too had a 600. Nope, I replied. I retired my T270 but learned everything about the T600 by reading the threads at Treo Central.

jojoc
    I too am from the Philippines and I have had my Treo 600 since November 15, 2003.

The unit I bought needed to be serviced last Dec 9. I brought it to the local distributor and I was given a new unit no questions asked. Part of the 1-year warranty.

I also had the firmware and software upgraded by the same local distributor without so much of a fuss.

I have no problems making it play mp3s either. Pocket Tunes is given free when you register. The sound is better with headphones.

I am very happy with the unit. I have been waiting for this product since I used to bring along a cellphone plus a Palm. So now instead of bulging in two places, I need only to bring 1 unit.
    finally decided to get the treo, i hope that i come to love it as you have. my roommate's going to get the P900 so I guess we'll still have both units in sight hehehe. i haven't tried it though coz my aunt still had to order it since globe didn't have one on stock. can't wait to try it out
    I'm just a girl.
    I got both the P900 and the T600. As I've said in an earlier post, the P900 is for people who can't live without bluetooth and a higher resolution screen. And if you like a number keypad, the P900 has the coolest keypad between the two.

The T600's thumboard is the best though. I can navigate and do everything all on one hand. The P900 requires the stylus a lot.

Lastly, if you're a Mac user, the T600 Palm hotsync works very nicely with it. I always have trouble syncing the P900 over bluetooth on a Mac.
    I went from a P800->Treo 600->P900-> and now an o2 XDA II and it's by far the most powerful out of all of them. The p900 is great looking, SYNCS the best IMO VIA BLUETOOTH with iSync, and has good features. The P900 is the best on my powerbook. Being about to use the built in drivers to connect to the net (Without having to go 3rd party on the Treo), and syncing my contacts ALONG with their pictures is fantastic. I did have to get Missing Sync, but it does work well with the XDA II over bluetooth. The Treo is a good phone, but it's already dated. No video recording, no voice dial, no hi rez screen, no bluetooth or wifi, low color count, AWFUL camera..even for a phone/pda, no voice recording, no removable battery, etc. For raw power...the XDA II, the p900 is second (lack of software), and the Treo 600 would be 3rd place. All are great phones, just depends on what you use them for.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast