1.    #1  
    Group wants phone number plan put on hold
    Last modified: November 18, 2003, 8:12 PM PST
    By Ben Charny
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

A telephone industry association on Tuesday asked federal regulators to stop telephone number portability rules from taking effect on Nov. 24.

Letting people keep old telephone numbers after switching carriers creates an unfair competitive advantage for cell phone companies, the United States Telecom Association (USTA) told the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Monday. The FCC's rules will also cause financial stress on rural telephone providers, the USTA added.

The USTA and telephone service provider CenturyTel gave the FCC until Thursday to suspend the number swapping rules. If not, the USTA and CenturyTel will ask a federal judge to intervene, according to an association statement.

"All we ask is that (regulators) take the time to do it right and live up to its repeated pledge that it would not implement any system that discriminates between (land line) and wireless carriers," USTA Chief Executive Officer Walter B. McCormick Jr. said in a statement.

Representatives from the FCC and the cell phone trade group Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association could not be immediately reached for comment.

The USTA and CenturyTel filing is the second this week by telephone companies regarding the FCC's number portability mandate. On Monday, BellSouth asked the FCC's permission to charge monthly fees to recover the $38 million it spent to allow customers to keep their old telephone numbers after switching to a cell phone provider.
    Originally posted by ravic

Letting people keep old telephone numbers after switching carriers creates an unfair competitive advantage for cell phone companies, the United States Telecom Association (USTA) told the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Monday. The FCC's rules will also cause financial stress on rural telephone providers, the USTA added.

What a laugh.....Unfair advantage...because now the various types of phone companies will actually have to compete.
    update

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday denied a telephone industry association's request to postpone some phone number portability rules.

The United States Telecom Association (USTA) asked the FCC on Tuesday to delay rules for letting landline telephone subscribers keep their phone numbers when they switch to cell phone providers.

"We see no reason, based on the instant petition, to delay these benefits to consumers, carriers and to the competitive marketplace," the FCC wrote in its response. The rules take effect Monday.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Not to mention that they've tried to put it off (and were successful) for years now. I think since something like 1996, when the Telecommunications Act went into effect. Every time the date came up each year, they'd lobby for more time. This time luckily the FCC wouldn't let it get put off any longer. I'm hopeful that this will be great for consumers... it's about time the cell carriers treated us with respect

This is a good article I came across awhile ago with tips on how to make the most of the LNP. Some of it is common sense, but a good read anyway:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...031106consacti
    A possibly-related datapoint - the Saturday edition of The Washington Post has no cellphone ads. Though I have to admit I don't particularly remember details about ==Saturday== I am positive that every other day consistently has had ads.