Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kraythe, I want to thank you for encouraging me to give T9 another try. I honestly didn't understand how it worked, and I had dismissed it as crap. On my phone it is called "predictive text" and that gave me the impression that it was guessing at what I wanted based on the first few letters of what I typed. But that's not how it works at all!

T9 always takes the number of characters into account during its search. So when you type, you simply type all characters as their numeric counterpart, and it should have figured out the word 99.9% of the time. If not, then you hit the cycle key or the spell key and correct it.

When I first tried it, I thought I was only supposed to type the first few chars of a word and let it guess. Duh, that's the exact opposite of how to use it. So in the end with T9 you don't save any keypresses per se, but you are able to do the same work with fewer physical keys.

I still need much more practice, and in fact, I curse this Nokia circular key arrangement. Though I am seriously considering sending my Treo 600 back now that I can actually type stuff on my phone. Very cool.
    Sorry to bring back this thread.

But, I could type extremely fast on my Sanyo 8200. I never had the keypad lit and I would never even look. I could literally text someone in my pocket. I knew the exact amount of times I needed to skip to correct the word, etc.

I got my Treo on Saturday and I definitely feel like I've taken a step back. I'm definitely speeding up though. I try to practice with one thumb a lot.

I think I already text as fast, the time I gain in the Treo sending and receiving quicker makes up for the fastness of the 8200.

I just don't see myself ever being able to not look at the board or be sure of what I'm typing. I will always have to double check.
    If you are used to using T9, I am sure you can type fast even with hands behind your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    If you are used to using T9, I am sure you can type fast even with hands behind your back.
    Lol what? With t9 on my 8200, sure. Not on the Treo .
    Quote Originally Posted by chanc
    Lol what? With t9 on my 8200, sure. Not on the Treo .
    I thought you were staying with your Sanyo 8200, hence my comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I thought you were staying with your Sanyo 8200, hence my comment.
    Oh no .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12