1.    #1  
    I wanted to beam my Contacts to a second PalmOS device. However, it is maked with a "lock" and gives me a message that "Copy-protected apps and databases cannot be beamed."

Would the proper way to deal with this be from the application itself, chosing Beam Category, with "All" being the category selected?

Which raises a second question. Is there any provision for synching two databases via beaming?

Thanks.
    First download FileZ . Use the app to select the database>details>attributes> and un-select copy protect. That should unlock the file. Then use some like this Database utility to beam the file...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sorry for the shameless self-promotion, but my application FirstBase allows for the beaming of locked databases. It can be found at PalmGear and Handango.
  4.    #4  
    Bobby,

No apologies needed. I asked. I've installed FirstBase, but haven't made sense of the interface yet. IOW, I haven't been able to identify the files which need to be altered to allow beaming.

FWIW, the database I want to beam is the one used by DateBk5. The application beamed over fine, and I thought the data went with it, but not so. I'd appreciate knowing exactly what I'm looking for and what to do on this.

Many thanks.
    Sorry for the UI confusion. FirstBase is a developer tool first, a power user tool second. It makes assumptions that the user is familiar with the workings of the Palm OS memory store. The 3.x generation of FirstBase will (hopefully) not present as much of a challenge to the average user.

DateBk5 appears to be driven by the builtin datebook and todo list databases. These 2 databases are not owned by DateBk5 and therefore have different creator ids.

Beaming an application usually means beaming all the databases with the same creator id. In the case of DateBk5 this means that the datebook and todo list are not beamed as part of this process.

Using FirstBase (or any other app that can beam individual DBs) beaming DateBk5 requires 3 steps:

1) First beam DateBk5 to the target device.
    2) Beam the database "DatebookDB" (creator 'date', type 'DATA') to the target device.
    3) Beam the database "ToDoDB" (creator 'todo', type 'DATA') to the target device.

BTW, in your first post you mentioned the "Contacts" database. I assume you mean "AddressDB" (creator "addr', type 'DATA'). This can also be beamed to another Palm device.

I've run tests between my Treo 600 and Prism and I am getting good results.
    Doh! I forget to post a warning:

WARNING -- Beaming the datebook and todo databases to another device will overwrite the existing databases on the target device.
  7.    #7  
    Bobby,

Thanks. That helped, and explains why the readout didn't make sense. I figured beaming would over-write the target file, if it exists.

I'll take another look.

Michael
    Originally posted by Michael_L

Which raises a second question. Is there any provision for synching two databases via beaming?

Thanks.
    Hey Michael, checkout this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ght=recox.html

Appranetly there is an app called RecoX that will do exactly this!

RecoX is a tool to keep databases on two Palm devices in synchronization. It uses infrared communication to beam records that have changed since the last synchronization to the other device. It cooperates with the build-in applications (Datebook, MemoPad, Addressbook and To-Do) as well as a few others and is independent of other synchronization tools.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    RecoX looks quite promising. Thanks for the info.