Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    In using a faster GSM/GPRS module coupled with a proxy-less browser, Handspring may well be trying to get out of the business of running a proxy-server farm -- or at least saving the additional costs of upgrading their present equipment.
    Wireless carriers that charge for data by the Kb would have no problem with this, as it would generate more revenue for them than the present proxy-browser arrangement.
    However, carriers that charge a flat rate (Sprint and T-Mobile) would be providing more bandwith to these devices with no additional revenue.
    It seems likely to me that the low-res screen and lack of Bluetooth are concessions HS made to these carriers to inhibit use of the Treo 600's internet capabilities above and beyond beyond casual web browsing using the device itself.

Rusty J
    Treo 270 (AT&T, for now...)
    Treo 90
    Micro Innovations/PocketTop KB
    Originally posted by Rusty J
    It seems likely to me that the low-res screen and lack of Bluetooth are concessions HS made to these carriers to inhibit use of the Treo 600's internet capabilities above and beyond beyond casual web browsing using the device itself.

Rusty J
    I would take minor exception.... While not explicitly endorsed by any of the cell carriers, PDANet will permit the use of the Treo 600 for data with outside computers. Yes it's not Bluetooth, but is that really 'necessary'.

Just my 2 bits.

Scott
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Lack of BT won't stop people from doing it, but I was looking at it more as a subtle discouragement rather an ablolute barrier. It will be a moot point when Palm OS 5 drivers come out for BT Secure Digital cards...
    On the other hand, I happen to think a tethered solution is actually a better way to go, in that the Treo can draw from the laptop's battery. I've used PDAnet -- and while it worked quite well, the price for the bandwidth on my current wireless carrier rendered it unaffordable. This is particularly so because my ISP's desktop client (AOL 8) runs a lot of background data traffic (pushing content and ads) even when doing a simple email check/send).

Rusty J
    Treo 270 (AT&T)
    Treo 90
    Waiting for T-Mo to get off their corporate hineys and support the Treo 600 already!