1.    #1  
    I thought I'd start this thread for discussions about whether Donna Dubinsky lied. Hopefully, this will eliminate finding the same discussion in almost every T600 thread.
    Last edited by MikePA; 10/29/2003 at 07:43 AM.
    No, they spoke the literal truth in an effort - somewhat successful - to mislead.

Big difference between that and lying.
    pardon the ignorance, but what did Handspring 'lie' about?
  4. purpleX
    Must be WMD or sexual relationship.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    No, they spoke the literal truth in an effort - somewhat successful - to mislead.

Big difference between that and lying.
    What is the difference - BIG or otherwise?

Where a person tells you something that is literally true, but is intentionally substantively dishonest, how is it not a lie?
    Originally posted by webslappy
    pardon the ignorance, but what did Handspring 'lie' about?
    I assume they're blathering about the reasoning for using a low rez screenie etc. Really, some people need to get a life...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Many seem up in arms aobut whether or not HS lied. The statements that were made were carefully phrased and all begain with "We expect". Once you hear that, it doesn't matter what else is said.

The real issue is that there are a few (probably numbered in the 10's) people whose frustration at not being able to get a Treo 600 GSM version is boiling over.

Fact of the matter is that we cannot yet order the GSM version of the Treo 600 easily or cheaply in the US. At some point it will become available. Until that point, frustration will continue to run very high, because someone else (e.g. Sprint users) have the new toy that we want.
    Oh Please. Did HS sleep with your wife too?

Dubinsky and the others are sitting in their offices, laughing at the success they have realized in intentionally deceiving you lot. I can hear them now: "Ha! We told them it would be available in October, but we sure fooled them!"

Why can't you all get over it, cut the company a break, and realize that they want to ship these things MORE than you want to buy them. They only make money when you buy them, so it is in their best interest to ship them asap.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    I don't care if they lied or not.

Customers deserve to know what is going on. This is stupid.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I don't care if they lied or not.

Customers deserve to know what is going on. This is stupid.
    Unfortunatly, NDAs and the like are very common in the tech industry. Companies aren't always free to tell customers what's going on.
    Originally posted by oscarc

Unfortunatly, NDAs and the like are very common in the tech industry. Companies aren't always free to tell customers what's going on.
    They are free not to enter into agreements that put them at odds with the interests of their customers.
    Originally posted by whmurray

They are free not to enter into agreements that put them at odds with the interests of their customers.
    Let's not confuse customers and users. A cellphone manufacturer's customers are the cellular carriers. In this case, Handspring's customers are Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc. The carriers purchase from Handspring and resell to end-users like the people posting here. While no cell phone can be successful without end-user support, no cell phone will ever even make it to market without carrier support. Because of this, while cellphone companies (hopefully) care about the end-user, they care much, much more about staying in the good graces of the carriers.
    Originally posted by oscarc

Let's not confuse customers and users. A cellphone manufacturer's customers are the cellular carriers. In this case, Handspring's customers are Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc. The carriers purchase from Handspring and resell to end-users like the people posting here. While no cell phone can be successful without end-user support, no cell phone will ever even make it to market without carrier support. Because of this, while cellphone companies (hopefully) care about the end-user, they care much, much more about staying in the good graces of the carriers.
    Interesting proposition. It would explain a lot.

I have been using the same SIM for so long that it is delaminating. I have been using it much longer than the T-Mobile or HS brands have existed.

When I bought my Treo 270, I purchased it from HS with a list price of $700 plus tax and shipping. It was unlocked and unbranded. I thought of myself as a (later to become loyal) HS customer.

My carrier, then Voicestream, later to become T-Mobile did not sell or support the 270, or for that matter, GPRS. It
    was to be almost a year before they would do so. By the time that they were ready to do so both the sales and support were grudging. As in this case, they maintained a stubborn silence about whether or when they would do so. As in this case, there were rumors galore, many of them on TC.

HS accepted my custom and I thought that made me a customer. I had no evidence or reason to believe that HS did not believe me to be their customer.

My understanding is that both HS and TC are accepting orders from what you would call "users" for the Sprint branded CDMA version of the Treo600.
    I understand that the purchasers must then enter into a separate transaction with Sprint to have the Treo 600 activated and assigned a number on the Sprint network.

Are you certain that those "users" understand that they are not customers of HS or TC? Are you certain that the law does not consider them customers?

Of course, I no longer have sufficient trust or confidence in TC, TM, or HS that I would voluntarily buy anything from any of them, particularly if I am not to be a customer of any of them.