Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to hot-sync multiple PDAs to a single Palm Desktop ID/Name?

I run a non-profit org. and I'd like the key staff to all have the same calendar/address book/to do list info.

How can this be done? A related question: Is it possible to have separate 3rd party calendar/address book/to do list that remains independent of the buit-in apps. (so that the built-in apps can remain for the personal use of each staff member, while the 3rd party apps can be used for the organization's data)?
    Palm OS handhelds are designed around the idea of one persons data being synched with a copy of that persons data on their PC. You assign unique usernames to each handheld and this is how the synch software keeps data separate when multiple handhelds synch to one PC.

What you are asking for is not what Palm devices do without some kind of corporate server software addition. Your needs are extremely complex if you consider what it means for a group of poeple to be able to simultaneously modify a group record on disconnected devices. What happens if employee A changes a meeting to Wednesday and meantime employee B has changed it to Tuesday. Who deserves to have their change kept? No software could make that decision except in a temporal sense of 'the last one to synch wins'.

That said, there are some olutions that could help you but not cleanly:

1. Palm offers a free version of the Calendar software that allows a group to synch calendars.http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=44860

2. Group sets of addresses/names can be maintained as long as you use Palm Desktop software rather than Outlook to store the names. There is a little used feature called File Ling that enables you to store a common set of Contacts on a server. Multiple handhelds can synch to the same list. You place a CSV file of contacts on a common drive. Each person can synch to their own PC that sees this drive and get the common list.

This works for Memos too - you could post bulletins in this way.

Be very careful of mixing the latest Palm handhelds (Tungsten 3, E, Zire 21) with older devices. They dont use the same Calendar, contacts databases anymore. They have new conduits and formats that dont play nicely with other devices.

Some advice from HS: http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks mwomwom for the cautionary advice and information. I appreciate it.

I understand the original purpose of the software, meant for individuals to sync to unique ID profiles on the desktop. I agree that syncing multiple PDAs to a single desktop profile is risky, but I wanted to see if there was a way to do it.

In this case, the staff doesn't schedule their own appointments; the office admin. asst. inputs all the calendar items, contacts, etc., so there shouldn't be the type of conflict you indicated could happen with people rescheduling appointments etc.

I will look into the solutions you mentioned.
    Last edited by Munir; 10/19/2003 at 09:05 PM.
    If you use Outlook, I believe it is possible to get it to synch with multiple handhelds using the same profile but the handhelds all have different names.

Try this - In outlook profile that you want to synch, you will see in the folders list a PocketMirror folder. Inside that folder will be a note with the name of the handheld associated with the Outlook profile for synching. Try adding a note with the name of a second handheld that you alsso want to synch with that profilee of Outlook and I suspect it will do what you want. Read the info on www.chapura.com or in the help file of PocketMirror for more info on how to do this.
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    If you use Outlook, I believe it is possible to get it to synch with multiple handhelds using the same profile but the handhelds all have different names.

Try this - In outlook profile that you want to synch, you will see in the folders list a PocketMirror folder. Inside that folder will be a note with the name of the handheld associated with the Outlook profile for synching. Try adding a note with the name of a second handheld that you alsso want to synch with that profilee of Outlook and I suspect it will do what you want. Read the info on www.chapura.com or in the help file of PocketMirror for more info on how to do this.
    This is actually well within Pocketmirror/Outlook's abilities, BUT I can't get it to work. I added a new note with a new name in the Pocketmirror folder, gave my new Treo 600 a new name, and it won't work. I've sent an email to Chapura about it. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with them.