1.    #1  
    I've upgraded twice now, from a Visor Deluxe to a Prism, and from the Prism to my Treo 300. My Treo 600 is on order. (What can I say? Handspring has been good to me.)

In neither previous case was I able to get a clean and complete "switch" to the new machine ... meaning all software transferred and functional by means of one or a couple HotSyncs. In both cases, although I followed instructions provided, I eventually had to perform hard resets and reload everything but the core PDBs from scratch.

I'd really rather not do that again, even though I'm more prepared for the eventuality this time. (I do understand that I may need to re-enter registration keys for registered software.)

Is some kind soul out there willing to jot down step-by-step instructions as to the best way to get a smooth transition? I'd like to keep the same Palm OS username, but that's not particularly vital. And I don't have Backup Buddy (although I do have Z'Cat).
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

Here:

Upgrading to a New Device?

We frequently hear from customers who have recently replaced an old handheld and need new registration codes. This happens because the advice from many handheld manufacturers is to give the handheld a new HotSync user name. What they are really trying to say is; don't choose an existing HotSync account for your new handheld. They are trying to avoid the restoring of system databases originally on the old handheld onto the new handheld.

The intent is good, since the old system databases can cause compatibility problems on the new device. However, this breaks other applications since most 3rd party software registration codes are generated from the HotSync user name.

Our recommendation when upgrading is the following. Prior to synchronizing your new device for the first time, do this:
    Run the Palm Desktop.
    Select the Users command from the Tools menu.
    Select your existing user name from the list (the one assigned to the older device), and click Rename. Rename the older device to something different. One trick is to change the spaces in your name. For example, "John Smith" to "JohnSmith".
    Synchronize the old device so that HotSync Manager will rename the device. This also renames the HotSync user directory for this device.
    Now you can synchronize your new device, and when prompted by HotSync Manager, give this device the original name (the name all of your applications are registered under).
    At this point you can start to install your 3rd party applications just as you would if you had given the handheld a new name
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone