1.    #1  
    Trouble. For the past year I have had no problems at all Hotsyncing. Yesterday, after forgetting my Treo 300 in a coffeeshop (recovered :-)), I decided to activate the password protection in DayNotez. I did this on the Desktop Version of DayNotez and forgot to set the password on the Treo. Today when I went to Hotsync I got the following message repeatedly:

HotSync operation started 10/12/03 12:41:05
    HotSync Error:
    An application failed to respond to a
    HotSync notification. Please check the Palm Desktop for details. (8009)
    HotSync operation complete 10/12/03 12:41:05

I removed the protection from DayNotez and rebooted everything several times to no avail. I set DayNotez and Natara not to Hotsync with the custom hotsync. Nothing, I cannot hotsync at all now. I think something has been broken.

I have searched the board for error message 8009 and have seen that a couple of folks have corrected hotsync problems by reinstalling the Palm Desktop software. I have backed up the entire C:\Program Files\Handspring directory (folder). Will a reinstall of the Palm Software overwrite any Data Files? Please help with any suggestions or advice. Thank you!
    Last edited by copernicus; 10/12/2003 at 03:39 PM.
    I think we already responded to you personally about this, but I thought I would respond here also so that everyone else knows;

The password you set should have no effect on hotsyncing. The password is not shared between the handheld and the desktop, and you can have a password on one side but not the other. If you disabled the DayNotez Desktop conduit and the problem still occurs, then it is probably something with another applicaiton.

Unfortunately, the HotSync log doesn't give enough details to determine exactly which app it was having issues syncing with. The error also seems to indicate that it is having issues with one of the palm apps, and not something on the desktop (HotSync is trying to inform one of the palm apps that it is syncing). If you haven't already, I would try doing a soft reset of the device itself (pin-hole reset).
  3.    #3  
    Bryan,
    Thank you for your suggestions. I haven't received any emails on this subject since I posted yesterday, so I'm not quite sure if you are thinking of the same person. I have reset (pin reset included) and rebooted both machines a number of times with no success. I am at the point where I think I should reinstall the Palm Desktop software but am not sure if my data will be removed if I do so, or what precautions I can take, besides backing up my entire Handspring directory. Is it possible that after just reinstalling the Palm Desktop everything be in its place and working just fine? I would appreciate knowing if I will have to re-install everything and have to dig out all the old User IDs for each and every application. Does re-installing the conduits refer to reinstalling the entire program. What about the data? I suppose you all can see that this is the first time I have encoutered this problem and am really concerned regarding how to proceed. I did install some newsreaders on the desktop to try them out over the weekend and now, after reading your post, am wondering if they somhow corrupted the registry. :-(

Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate your help.

Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    I think we already responded to you personally about this, but I thought I would respond here also so that everyone else knows;

The password you set should have no effect on hotsyncing. The password is not shared between the handheld and the desktop, and you can have a password on one side but not the other. If you disabled the DayNotez Desktop conduit and the problem still occurs, then it is probably something with another applicaiton.

Unfortunately, the HotSync log doesn't give enough details to determine exactly which app it was having issues syncing with. The error also seems to indicate that it is having issues with one of the palm apps, and not something on the desktop (HotSync is trying to inform one of the palm apps that it is syncing). If you haven't already, I would try doing a soft reset of the device itself (pin-hole reset).
    I'm pretty sure you emailed our support team and a reply was sent out. (There was the mention of leaving the treo device in a coffeeshop, etc. so I'm pretty sure it was you.

Try this. Right click on the hotsync icon in the system tray (next to the clock). Select the "Custom..." menu item. From there, start setting all of your conduits to "Do Nothing", then start turning them on one at a time and keep doing hotsyncs until one of them "breaks" the process again. That may give you a clue as to who/what is doing the nasty. If it happens with only the Palm conduits enabled (like datebook, memo, etc.) then you probalby has a corruption of some type on either the Palm or desktop side.

Another trick you could try (at your own risk), is to find your Palm hotsync user directory, then rename the "Backup" directory to something else. Then, do a hard reset on the treo/palm device (hold the power button while doing the pin-poke). That will remove all 3rd party software. Now sync a couple of time w/o installing anything extra to see if the problems still exist. When you want to restore, just copy all the stuff that you still want out of the renamed backup directory into the newly created backup directory, and hard reset it again. Pick your hotsync named when asked, and your "stuff" should get restored. That's one I might try, but then I'm not shy about blowing away all my stuff (got lots of backups to work with).

I would first try the elimination game though.
  5.    #5  
    Well, the disabling of the conduits sounded like a great idea. Unfortunately, in my case it didn't work. I also appreciate the second trick which may very well prove to be what works in the end. I haven't been able to get an answer regarding a reinstall and what happens to the data and the programs, but reinstalling Palm Desktop sounds like the easier way (if it works). I have a backup of the entire directory and I hope that is enough to get me out of whatever mess I get into from here. God help me. :-)

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out!
  6.    #6  
    I tried the reinstall of Palm Desktop to no avail. Same problem. Rebooted everything a couple of times. Funny thing, when an alarm goes off on the desktop, I get about 6 popups of the same alarm. I am at my wits end. I will try to rename the directory now but I am beginning to realize how unnerving this can all be. If anyone has any other ideas I certainly would be grateful. I beginning to feel a bit desperate. Thanks...
  7.    #7  
    For the outcome of this episode see post: "How I Solved It - In a Nutshell"

Thanks you all for your help.