Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It bothers me to see people using other people's serial numbers to sneak past Handspring's "loyal customer" program and get the 600 at a discounted rate.

If you ar buying someone's previously used broken Treo, fine. You own it and the serial number.

Otherwise, unless you are a Treo owner, you are just stealing from Handspring by falsely claiming you are a current owner. Technically, it could land you in jail if you were ever prosecuted.

Am I perfect, no, and I sometimes do things I shouldn't do. But that shouldn't stop me from pointing out that making a misrepresentation to Handspring to save $$$ is just plain wrong.
    I have my own 300 so I'm not worried.

But if a current 300 owner isn't planning on upgrading, then I see no problem with them giving their serial number out to someone.

What I do see wrong, is if someone goes in to a store, writes down the number, and uses that. THAT'S wrong imo.
    I wouldn't say that by doing this, you're screwing handspring. You're still buying a $400 phone and spreading the word by being a first-adopter.

But I agree that selling your serial number's just bad. If you don't need it, give it to someone else. Don't sell it.
    You should look at this from another angle too. Many of the people who are selling their SN already bought a Treo 600 from Sprint at $599. Now they find out that they could have gotten the phone from HS for $399, and can't send the Sprint units back because they opened them. These people are just trying to recoup some of that $200 they lost. Most of these numbers are only being sold for $50 dollars anyway so these individuals are still $150 higher than they should have been. If HS were to give a discount to these people after the fact then they would not have sold them, but I think HS has already shot that one down.

What I really wonder is how much HS is making on these at $399, since I am sure they are not selling them for a loss, and then realizing that they are selling them at $200 more than that?
    This I agree on. If you don't own a T300 you are not legally eligible for an upgrade. The more who abuse this makes it more likely we won't have another upgrade program in the future.
    14 day return policy for Sprint, whether it's opened or not.

Matt
    Originally posted by chuhsi
    I wouldn't say that by doing this, you're screwing handspring. You're still buying a $400 phone and spreading the word by being a first-adopter.

But I agree that selling your serial number's just bad. If you don't need it, give it to someone else. Don't sell it.
    agreed
    Last edited by mrsernum; 10/09/2003 at 02:31 PM.
    I wouldn't neccessarily say that. There some Treo 300 users here who have already purchased from Sprint and are thus unable to benefit from upgrading. I don't think it's wrong for them to get a little money to compensate for the large amount that they spent with Sprint. Should they have waited? Well, that's a matter of opinion, but if it helps them offset a bit of the costs and help a somone who doesn't have an old Treo to use an upgrade then I don't see the problem. What I do have a problem with is this making up serial numbers gig. That is just wrong.
    Originally posted by Spiffyis5150
    I wouldn't neccessarily say that. There some Treo 300 users here who have already purchased from Sprint and are thus unable to benefit from upgrading. I don't think it's wrong for them to get a little money to compensate for the large amount that they spent with Sprint. Should they have waited? Well, that's a matter of opinion, but if it helps them offset a bit of the costs and help a somone who doesn't have an old Treo to use an upgrade then I don't see the problem. What I do have a problem with is this making up serial numbers gig. That is just wrong.
    I agree 100%. HS will end up selling a lot more 600's and can claim it on their upcoming quaterly report. Stock price of both HAND and PALM goes thru the roof
    I am surprised it took this long for someone to say, "this is wrong." I don't fault the people on the receiving end of the serial numbers as much as I do the ones selling them. It just seems like a weasely thing to do UNLESS they are trying to recoup some of the money they paid over $399 for their Treo 600.
    I WOULD AGRRE, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT,
    I WOULDN'T BUY IT BECAUSE ITS WRONG TO DO(IT SAYS TREO OWNERS), KNOWING THAT GOD IS WATCHING OUR EVERY MOVE.

IF YOU WERE SMART YOU WOULD SELL SOMEBODY THE TREO AND THEN YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT JUDGEMENT DAY.

I KNOW SOME OF YOU GUYS WILL BLAST ME FOR THIS BUT I DON'T CARE.
    DOING STUFF LIKE THIS IS WHAT DESTROYS THE TRUTH / TRUST SYSTEM ON PLANET EARTH, YES YOUR LITTLE BIT MEANS SOMETHING.

JOHN 3:16

TAKE CARE, IN LOVE( IF YOU CAN SEE IT AND BELIEVE IT).
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 10/09/2003 at 12:19 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Originally posted by HAPPY$BOBBY$
    I WOULDN'T BUY IT BECAUSE ITS WRONG TO DO, KNOWING THAT GOD IS WATCHING OUR EVERY MOVE.
    Well, I also think it is wrong to proselytize in a discussion forum.
    One more thing - if you do go the route of buying a serial number from someone, be sure that you can trust that individual. If the serial number has already been used to purchase a Treo 600, it will be no good to you (I verified this by tring to reuse my serial number on the Handspring website).
    Originally posted by HAPPY$BOBBY$
    I WOULDN'T BUY IT BECAUSE ITS WRONG TO DO(IT SAYS TREO OWNERS), KNOWING THAT GOD IS WATCHING OUR EVERY MOVE.

IF YOU WERE SMART YOU WOULD SELL SOMEBODY THE TREO AND THEN YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT JUDGEMENT DAY.

I KNOW SOME OF YOU GUYS WILL BLAST ME FOR THIS BUT I DON'T CARE.

JOHN 3:16

TAKE CARE, IN LOVE( IF YOU CAN SEE IT AND BELIEVE IT).
    GMAFB. If you bought the phone, you own it, and the serial number. If you did not get in on the deal then you have the right to do whatever you want to with the number, you bought it. The serial number is as much of a commodity as the phone. Now these jerks just guessing numbers should be beaten.

I can see it now. Someone standing behind Ken Lay at the gates of Hell, Person: "What did you do?" Lay: "Screwed tons of people out of billions of dollars and got away with it. You?" Person: "Sold a Treo 300 serial number for $50."
    Originally posted by itsyvonne
    One more thing - if you do go the route of buying a serial number from someone, be sure that you can trust that individual. If the serial number has already been used to purchase a Treo 600, it will be no good to you (I verified this by tring to reuse my serial number on the Handspring website).
    Good advice! I have 2 Treo 300's, one is broken. I sold the s/n of the broken one to offset cost of my upgrade to the 600. I offered the person who bought it a refund if they have any problems with the upgrade. I was upfront about it and I don't think what I did was immoral but rather good for business.
    "But I agree that selling your serial number's just bad. If you don't need it, give it to someone else. Don't sell it."

No one is forcing you to buy their old SN number. If you don't agree with people selling them, it's simple - don't buy one.
    Selling of the serial number is just ofsetting the cost of the upgrade. I brought mine BEFORE handspring made their offer.
    Originally posted by lnichols

What I really wonder is how much HS is making on these at $399, since I am sure they are not selling them for a loss, and then realizing that they are selling them at $200 more than that? [/B]
    How can you be sure they are not selling at a loss? $399 may be their cost, or less, and this is a marketing move to get the handsets out to the people that they know have an interest in them to boost their numbers.

And in response to the theme of this thread:
    While using a serial number from someone else's t300 may grant you the discount from Handspring, it certainly does not honor the spirit of the offer. If you feel comfortable taking advantage of a small company to save yourself a few bucks, go ahead. For me, my self respect is worth far more than a couple hundred bucks.
    of course selling or buying the serial number is wrong and unethical. Guessing a serial number is probably worse. You are not only stealing from HS, you are potentially stealing from whoever has the real Treo you guessed the number of. People should just take their fair licks and move on.
    I have the same right to a discount as any other Treo 300 owner.

I bought my Treo from Sprint for $599 before the discount details were announced. (I was hoping that I could get the discount later.)

I have called Handspring and Sprint - my basic message is that it would be better for both companies as well as me if they could just figure out some way to give me the discount, rather than me returning my phone to Sprint and buying a new one. Neither will budge.

So, I am reviewing all options - I may return the phone to Sprint and buy one from Handspring, or I may sell the serial, or I may buy a discounted handset from Handspring and then turn around and sell it. Right now, it's looking like the best deal will be to return the phone to Sprint, due to the proliferation of people selling serial numbers for $50 (I need at least $100 for mine to make it worth doing it this way instead of through the return plan).

IF I were to sell it, I wouldn't feel immoral, because the other option would result in Sprint having a slightly used phone on stock, and Handspring having the same number of sales, and all three parties having to ship stuff around needlessly. If the companies don't want this to happen, they should just set up a system that would allow for the discount to be taken with the handset I already own. It would make my day if I heard they did that so I can avoid red tape and waiting on Sprint to cut me a check, etc etc.

Handspring's rebate policy amounts to: I (as a Treo 300) owner have a right to a rebate. If I choose to confer that rebate onto somebody else, there's nothing in Handspring's policies that indicates any problem with that.

As for guessing serial numbers - that is outright theft and should be treated as a misdemeanor crime if the person is later caught.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast