Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    there are all sorts of moral dilemmas here:

if you use your serial number for the upgrade, then sell the treo 300 on ebay, is that wrong? I suppose you have to mention in your auction that the serial number has been used, as for all intents and purposes the serial and the device are two separate products w/ their own values. Is this better or worse than taking someone else's serial number? In either case, someone has a treo and a serial number they can't use.
    Originally posted by kosinefeld
    there are all sorts of moral dilemmas here:

if you use your serial number for the upgrade, then sell the treo 300 on ebay, is that wrong? I suppose you have to mention in your auction that the serial number has been used, as for all intents and purposes the serial and the device are two separate products w/ their own values. Is this better or worse than taking someone else's serial number? In either case, someone has a treo and a serial number they can't use.
    As long as you state that the serial number has already been used for the upgrade, I dont see any issue in selling a treo on ebay. Besides, doesn't the upgrade offer end soon? One could always wait until then to sell the treo, still stating that the serial number has been used, but it would really matter at that point.
    I think it would be immoral to sell it without mentioning that the serial number had been used, at least until the upgrade offer ends. Even after that, I would probably mention it, just in case there are future offers. I explained the situation ad naseum to my friend who bought my Treo 300 for $75.
    A couple minor additional points...

1) I believe Handspring is reporting this past quarter's earnings today. It won't be pretty (remember they were dumping stock of old product this past quarter). You better believe they want to have some positive spin going. Being able to tell their investors that they sold how ever many thousands of units the past couple of days is more important to them right now than losing a little extra profit on the per-unit sales.

2) This deal is available directly through Handspring. Handspring has two channels for their phones. You can buy it from Sprint who buys it from Handspring (for a lower cost and marks it up and/or takes into account the fact that you'll be locking into a long-term contract with them and paying more that way), or you can buy it from Handspring for a lower cost for you but probably the same amount that Handspring would have made if you went through Sprint.

3) Handspring isn't short on lawyers. If they wanted to add a little bit of legalese to the "Current Treo Users Discount" page, it would have been easy. Or, as I said previously, they could have dictated that you mail in your old Treo to them. They did neither.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The ONLY terms listed on HS's website for the upgrade promotion are as follows:

Terms and conditions:

One upgrade order per customer and qualifying serial number only

Only Treo 180, 270, or 300 serial numbers qualify for this offer

Not combinable with any other offer

Offer good with plans from Sprint until October 29, 2003. Offers for other mobile service providers will be available for only three weeks beginning from the date they are added to the program

Offer available only for Treo 600s purchased from Handspring.com
    ----------------

If HS had even a remote concern that serial numbers would be used by someone other than the owner, it would have been SO simple to keep that from happening... just force whoever buys through the upgrade program be a registered owner. And that would have not cost HS anything to implement as it would be a simple check of the serial number against the registered user database.

But no, HS wants a 600 sold for every qualifying serial that exists because they want to increase their customer base, so that when the T1200 or whatever comes out, there's going to be that many more units sold then to fans of the 600.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123