Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why couldn't the next gen Treo have a SLIDING expandable hi-res display like the newest Palm Tungsten 3? In the closed position it would be a compact "candy bar" phone, but in the expanded mode functions as a robust data device. IMHO, *that* would be the *perfect* converged device!!
    Nope, sorry. The 700 will be a clamshell style phone again similar to Samsung's SPH 500 series. Except, where the Samsung's graffiti area is, will be the keyboard. Of course, it will have a 320x320 hi-rez screen, bt, and wifi, speakerphone, etc.
    Originally posted by bbdwebz
    Nope, sorry. The 700 will be a clamshell style phone again similar to Samsung's SPH 500 series. Except, where the Samsung's graffiti area is, will be the keyboard. Of course, it will have a 320x320 hi-rez screen, bt, and wifi, speakerphone, etc.
    Says who?
    I have no idea who says that or whether it's true. But, it sounds pretty good to me.
    Originally posted by bbdwebz
    WRONG! form factor want change.
    http://zdnet.com.com/1601-2-5085925.html
    Originally posted by conflagrare

Says who?
    says me.

Just my wish-list. I like keeping my phone in my pocket--so a clamshell works better for me. That's all.
    Originally posted by sleepysurf
    Why couldn't the next gen Treo have a SLIDING expandable hi-res display like the newest Palm Tungsten 3? In the closed position it would be a compact "candy bar" phone, but in the expanded mode functions as a robust data device. IMHO, *that* would be the *perfect* converged device!!
    In Part 4 of my series which should be up on TreoCentral withing a week, I created a mockup of a Treo with a 480x320 screen and a sliding keyboard that covers the bottom of the screen.

Stay tuned!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    SleepySurf,

I also mentioned this idea in a previous thread! (I guess no one read the Treo general chat ) Anyway, I also mentioned a couple other design alternaitve including the sliding mechanism similar to the Siemens SL55 and NTT DoCoMo SO505i...However, I don't think any of this will happen accoridn to informaiton in the Donna Dubinsky interview...

Originally posted by JakeE

Stay tuned!!!
    Oh Joy!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Don't forget that Donna D is talking while Handspring is an independent company. After the merger with Palm, you never know what could happen. It would be seem rather straight forward to use the new PIM and the screen format with slider of the T3 along with the keyboard of the Treo.
    Jeff

In Part 4 of my series which should be up on TreoCentral withing a week, I created a mockup of a Treo with a 480x320 screen and a sliding keyboard that covers the bottom of the screen.

Stay tuned!!!

Jake
    is Part 4 the end?
  11.    #11  
    Didn't see that thread... great minds think alike <g>. I truly think it's feasible. I would keep the thumbboard on top, and have it slide south to reveal a larger screen, with option for landscape view.

C'mon, Jeff, Donna, PalmOne... let's go for it!
    what would the slider accomplish?

make the phone wider, even in the closed position?
    hide the KB and making it more dificult to type?
    extend the mic when in the open position?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I truly think it's feasible. I would keep the thumbboard on top, and have it slide south to reveal a larger screen, with option for landscape view.

Exactly!! Could you imagine it like this with the high resolution screen and Bluetooth. It would blow away every other smart phone out there. If they don't do it, someone else will (and it could even be a PPC phone edition now that MS has loosened their grip on the requirements).
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Felipe
    what would the slider accomplish?

make the phone wider, even in the closed position?
    hide the KB and making it more dificult to type?
    extend the mic when in the open position?
    Closed it would look exactly as the Treo 600 does now. Open the slider and you get a larger screen which is high resolution and can be rotated to lanscape. Think how much more you could see in Blazer, Excel or even e-mail.
    Jeff
    Didn't see that thread... great minds think alike <g>. I truly think it's feasible. I would keep the thumbboard on top, and have it slide south to reveal a larger screen, with option for landscape view.

If you want to see the images I will be publishing of the Treo with a 480x320 screen I will give you the link to Part 4 so you can see:

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm

Please understand I am still working on Part 4 and it won't be complete for another week or so.

The sliding keboard cover images are located toward the top of the page.

Since I am offering you guy a preview of Part 4, please feel free to share any construcitve critisim:

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/05/2003 at 02:21 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by imageone

is Part 4 the end?
    Hi imageone!

No Part 4 is not the end.

Part 5 is the last in the series.

Part 5 covers Bullet Train Express Schedule, some strategic marketing ad comps I created for my meeting with Jeff Hawkins and my thoughts on portable computing beyond hand held devices.

Jake

If you want to see the images I will be publishing of the Treo with a 480x320 screen I will give you the link to Part 4 so you can see:

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm

Please understand I am still working on Part 4 and it won't be complete for another week or so.

The sliding keboard cover images are located toward the top of the page.

Since I am offering you guy a preview of Part 4, please feel free to share any construcitve critisim:

Jake
    I have to admitt, those are interesting images! However, I noticed in the first row of pic on the top of the page, you shrunk the dialpad from the original. I don't think it is a good idea to make this button any smaller considering it will be the main navigation tool of the Treo. Also, I really don't like the idea of sliding the screen totally under the thumbbaord. From the looks of it IMO, the Treo 600 is already as small as it should be and if it were any smaller it would be unusable, especially for those of us with larger hands. I basically want the current Treo600 form factor minus the antenna with a TT-like slider that reveals a 320x480 screen underneath the keyboard. That would be the best compromise IMO..

Also Jake, not to burst your bubble, but after looking at you concept design, I recall that someone has already thought of something similar to your 5 way navigation buttons. Its called the Filewalker Messenger by Inviar Technologies:

http://www.invair.com/html/technische_daten.html

Its a linux based smartphone that uses a scroll wheel mechanism instead of a thumbboard. I believe inviar launched this device this past March at Cebit Germany...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I have to admitt, those are interesting images! However, I noticed in the first row of pic on the top of the page, you shrunk the dialpad from the original. I don't think it is a good idea to make this button any smaller considering it will be the main navigation tool of the Treo. Also, I really don't like the idea of sliding the screen totally under the thumbbaord. From the looks of it IMO, the Treo 600 is already as small as it should be and if it were any smaller it would be unusable, especially for those of us with larger hands. I basically want the current Treo600 form factor minus the antenna with a TT-like slider that reveals a 320x480 screen underneath the keyboard. That would be the best compromise IMO..

Also Jake, not to burst your bubble, but after looking at you concept design, I recall that someone has already thought of something similar to your 5 way navigation buttons. Its called the Filewalker Messenger by Inviar Technologies:

http://www.invair.com/html/technische_daten.html

Its a linux based smartphone that uses a scroll wheel mechanism instead of a thumbboard. I believe inviar launched this device this past March at Cebit Germany...
    Gfunkmagic:

You said “I have to admitt, those are interesting images!” Why thank you!!! Or should I say “Oh Joy!

Then you said, “I noticed in the first row of pic on the top of the page, you shrunk the dialpad from the original.” I think I might be misunderstanding you. When you say I shrunk the dialpad from the original, I did not.

To me the dialpad has the numbers like on a phone and I did not shrink any of the main thumboard keys from the Treo 600. If you are referring to the five-way navigation button, I believe if it were engineered properly it could be that small and function even better than the one on the Treo 600. This would be because it would be significantly taller than the one on the Treo 600, so if you have larger fingers it would actually make it easier to use.

Gfunk: when you said: “I basically want the current Treo600 form factor minus the antenna with a TT-like slider that reveals a 320x480 screen underneath the keyboard.” Basically you mean something like the second and third images on my top row of images but with the buttons from the regular Treo 600???

Gfunk: You then said “Also Jake, not to burst your bubble, but after looking at you concept design, I recall that someone has already thought of something similar to your 5 way navigation buttons. Its called the Filewalker Messenger by Inviar Technologies.”

Actually Gfunk, I think my idea is different. With my side mounted 5-way navigation button, it works identically to the one on the front of the Treo 600. It would be like if you pulled it off the front of a Treo 600 and remounted it on the side.

The one from “Filewalker” operates on a completely different premise if I understand it correctly.

Jake

If you are referring to the five-way navigation button
    Yes, thats what I was referring too...

I forgot to mention to Gfunkmagic or anyone in the forum: If you have a good idea for the way you would like to see the next Treo look, describe it in this thread.

I will then mock it up an publish it in my article with your name attatched to it for conceptual credit.

Jake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast