Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by treobk214
    First of all, jake, i love both your treo keyboard slider designs as well as the dashboard interface inside the lexus! Have you had a chance to discuss these two ideas with anyone at palmone recently? i honestly think you are on to something here!
    the in-car telephone and computer interfaces are fantastic and i am excited about them. i have heard of BMW producing bluetooth enabled cars in the near future and your design here would fit in beautifully with their initial entry into this market.

i got to thinking about the slider designs based on what i saw in the t3 and in your articles, and i described what i thought could be another nice convergence device in the thread labeled - slider keyboard designs.

basically, here are my thoughts ;

1. two sliders - one for the keyboard on bottom, one on top, possibly with a videoconferencing camera and speakers.

2. 2 sd expansion slots integrated into the top slider. for increasing memory as well as adding additional applications

3. hi res 480 x 480 or higher, lcd screen

4. upon opening BOTH sliders, you activate television or video
    streaming mode - for news streaming or movies.

5. opposite side of the treo - a larger, higher quality video-cam
    eye centered in the middle of the devices' back side -
    much like the design of current cameras.

6. hi quality microphones for audio recording just below the video cam eye to be used in
    conjunction with the video-cam to enable simultaneous
    video and audio recording.... which may be shared with
    other users via mms on pcs vision.

7. blue tooth - may listen to mp3s over bluetooth equipped car stereo speakers. if onstar-equipped, this may be integrated into the treo if needed as well.

8. ibm is researching fuelcell batteries for small devices, so
    this might be a solution for the large power demand in this
    treo and simultaneously solving the size and weight concerns.
    9. im not sure if its possible or even desirable to use the other
    two lateral sides of the treo as expansion opportunities... for example,... both sides could provide a "sled" or panel which could be pulled out during video streaming or tv mode to functon as bose surround speakers to enhance the audio experience while watching news or movies. essentially making all four sides of the treo expandable! (i am no engineer, so im not sure how feasible this is!)

10. essentially, using all the surface-area possible on this new treo to optimize the overall treo user experience!
    what do you think, jake? looking forward to article number 4 regarding the bullettrain dash. like i said.. i think its a winner!!
    p.s. do you think you could design a mockup or perspective of this device?
    id be very grateful! thanks, jake
    brian kwiatkowski
    Hi Treobk214!!!

Brian,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you but I wanted to take my time with reading your post and give it my undivided attention. I got a little sidetracked reading Michael Ducker’s review.

Thank you very much for sharing you kind and complimentary words. I made some great contacts at the Palm launch for the Treo 600 in San Francisco and I intend to follow up with trying to share my ideas with them.

I will address you points:

1. This kind of sounds like my Phantom V design reference. I don’t know if you saw my Phantom V. It is in Part 2 of my series “Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing” http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/review.htm
    2. I think this is unnecessary because soon you will be able to purchase 5GB SD Cards.
    3. 480x480 is a challenge because it gives you a square aspect ration. It is my belief that there are too many advantages to having a 16x9 or 16x10 aspect ratio.
    4. I don’t think I like this idea because I would prefer to have another way to achieve the same thing. I think it would be irritating to have it active when you don’t want it to.
    5. Once again you are describing my Phantom V.
    6. I like this idea but if I understand it correctly we have to wait for 3.5G or 4G before we can video conference.
    7. I like this idea but taking it one step further I think your handheld should automatically download via synchronization your MP3s to your cars HD.
    8. There is battery technology on the horizon that will boggle our minds once we see it implemented. I agree with everything you say.
    9. I am opposed to the slider idea. The reason I put it in Part 4 is because I think it may be inevitable in the next generation of Treo’s, but I still don’t like it because I want a unit that is solid like my Phantom V.
    10. I would be happy to mockup a device for you but first I think if you look at the Phantom V it addressed all you ideas. http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...n/PhantomV.htm

Once again, thank you for your kind words Brian!!!

If you have not read the first three parts of my series, please do and let me know what you think? Part 1 of my series starts here: http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...ulletTrain.htm

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE

O.K. Gufunk,

I fixed the image and Gfunkomagiced it just for you:

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm
    LOL! Well, you know since you put the Cane logo on it, the device must be perfect!

In all seriousness, I must admit the your photoshop is very nicely done Jake! Heck, I think I might even look forward to the 4rth installment of your series! Now, who would have thunkit? Anyway, good job...

Also, I previously mentioned in another thread what I thought would be an ideal "Treo700." I'll repost the specs I mentioned here:

- Dual Mode CDMA 1xrtt/1xEvDo(v)/GSM/GPRS radio with R-UIM card
    - Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading) device
    - 128 MB ram with M-System based DiskOnChip NAND storage up to 1 GB Internal Media!
    - TFT Transflective 320x320 screen (no more cstn BS)
    - minimum 1 MP integrated camera. (Heck Jphone is planning on release a 2 MP camera phone soon!) Perhaps even dual camera like the SE Z1010?
    - Dual Expansion SDIO or even SDIO + mini SD (I would be happy w/ the latter)
    - In addtion to Dual Mode cellular: integrated BT + Wifi. If Wanda can have it, why not the Treo?
    - Integrated Snaptrack snapcore GPS functionality with NMEA support
    - Integrated Sprint Ready Link "Push to talk" functionality
    - video conferencing capable
    - multimedia/mp3 etc and al those rest of the goodies
    - True SMS from Sprint
    - Huge (3000 mAh?) rechargeable, replaceable battery!
    - inexpensive 3rd party email solution (Visto etc?)
    - and I want all of this to fit into the same form factor and design of the Treo 600!!
    All the features I mentioned above refer to technologies that are available NOW! Thus I think above feature set is an actual possibilty in the near future and not some hypothetical. Anyway, I would love to see the above features in the slider form factor as mentioned above! Whoa! Now that would be something imo... <drool>
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/06/2003 at 01:35 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have to ask what jeff hawkins thought of the design?!

Interesting alternative to the current physical keyboard. looks to be easier on the thumbs!

It does seem to answer all of the questions I raised in the other thread. A great deal of thought went into this design, that much is clear!

I like the videostreaming and the movie + news conferencing capability - the four tiny speakers were interesting also!

The biggest challenge could be the retina-screen interface for data input, only because its seems to be very complicated. but once achieved, would be very easy to learn to use - that's where its appeal lies.

looks like all the right ideas and passion are there, we just have to wait for the right hardware + software to be developed. As well as the revenue from palmone to research and integrate it all.

above all, jake, the greatest hurdle to overcome will be for all of us to come up with the patience to wait - esp when you know what you are waiting for! Very nicely put together, jake. Its great to see the creativity!!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JakeE
    jglev and gfunkmgic:

I added your conceptual ideas to my review. It is the third image down the page.

For credit please share your real name with me and I will add it to the article.

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm

Jake
    Incredible work! Amazing with the slider. And after listening to Donna's interview when she said this is an "early adoption device at a high price" of something like that...what where they thinking? Then she mentions all the work done with the carriers. It's almost like they got the design team negotiating with the carriers...basically they mismanaged the whole thing.

I have no doubt the 600 will be the DOG of the century. Super expensive, (no slider) and 160x160. Casual users won't buy it cause its hundreds, knowledgeable users won't buy it cause they know the good one is not here "yet" and the T3 is out there tempting the techies at $ 349.

Basically the Handspring team lost between 1 and 1.5 years of design. It went to politics, reorganization, and wasted time dealing with the carriers.

That slider giving the Treo a big proud screen, combined with hi res would have captured the techies. The carriers hold the price equation. Specially today they'd be fools not to "lock in" users with specialized software/hardware features hard to leave. The phone minutes are becoming a commodity, and an angle is crucial to margin for the carriers, but they ignore this.

Everything got dropped. Its like the twilight zone.

In the meantime the T3 came out. That's where the techies went. 16 months from now when the new Treo comes out the T3 will be $ 195 and with better features.

When the Treo gets its big screen (with the Slider cleverly designed in this forum) and the price to a point where it makes sense, it will be a success.

But the whole team is just not thinking agressively enough! It is just 1.5 years behind in competence.

From the interview it was obvious they wasted management time away from design onto carrier negotiations. Maybe with Palm's money they'll speed up.

But for now the Treo 600 "convergence cost" is too costly.

Bottom line convergence is 1.5 years behind. I would call 2003 and 2004 the lost years. We'll catch up to 05 and 06 with what we should (could) have had today.
    Originally posted by mgauss

Incredible work! Amazing with the slider. And after listening to Donna's interview when she said this is an "early adoption device at a high price" of something like that...what where they thinking? Then she mentions all the work done with the carriers. It's almost like they got the design team negotiating with the carriers...basically they mismanaged the whole thing.

I have no doubt the 600 will be the DOG of the century. Super expensive, (no slider) and 160x160. Casual users won't buy it cause its hundreds, knowledgeable users won't buy it cause they know the good one is not here "yet" and the T3 is out there tempting the techies at $ 349.

Basically the Handspring team lost between 1 and 1.5 years of design. It went to politics, reorganization, and wasted time dealing with the carriers.

That slider giving the Treo a big proud screen, combined with hi res would have captured the techies. The carriers hold the price equation. Specially today they'd be fools not to "lock in" users with specialized software/hardware features hard to leave. The phone minutes are becoming a commodity, and an angle is crucial to margin for the carriers, but they ignore this.

Everything got dropped. Its like the twilight zone.

In the meantime the T3 came out. That's where the techies went. 16 months from now when the new Treo comes out the T3 will be $ 195 and with better features.

When the Treo gets its big screen (with the Slider cleverly designed in this forum) and the price to a point where it makes sense, it will be a success.

But the whole team is just not thinking agressively enough! It is just 1.5 years behind in competence.

From the interview it was obvious they wasted management time away from design onto carrier negotiations. Maybe with Palm's money they'll speed up.

But for now the Treo 600 "convergence cost" is too costly.

Bottom line convergence is 1.5 years behind. I would call 2003 and 2004 the lost years. We'll catch up to 05 and 06 with what we should (could) have had today.
    mgauss:

Very well said!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by treobk214
    I have to ask what jeff hawkins thought of the design?!

Interesting alternative to the current physical keyboard. looks to be easier on the thumbs!

It does seem to answer all of the questions I raised in the other thread. A great deal of thought went into this design, that much is clear!

I like the videostreaming and the movie + news conferencing capability - the four tiny speakers were interesting also!

The biggest challenge could be the retina-screen interface for data input, only because its seems to be very complicated. but once achieved, would be very easy to learn to use - that's where its appeal lies.

looks like all the right ideas and passion are there, we just have to wait for the right hardware + software to be developed. As well as the revenue from palmone to research and integrate it all.

above all, jake, the greatest hurdle to overcome will be for all of us to come up with the patience to wait - esp when you know what you are waiting for! Very nicely put together, jake. Its great to see the creativity!!
    Treobk214:

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to see the Phantom V fulfilled you desires.

I don’t think Jeff liked any of my ideas. If he did he sure has a strange way of showing it.

Jake

Everything that I can see about the phone makes me think I'll love it.

All reviews I've seen indicate that the reviewer loves it.

Look, if you don't want to pay $599 for a device, fine. But at a certain point, you need to just move on. Buy whatever you like, but there's no need to go on about your choice among others who clearly are going a different route.

I've twice seen the comment about the phone's price quoted as if it's an admission that the phone is TOO expensive. No, it's an admission that it's not a cheap phone. What would you like her to say? The truth is, it's not a cheap phone! It's one of the two or three most expensive phones you can buy from Sprint and I'm sure that's true of other wireless companies as well.

Will there be better versions in the future? I'm sure, unless either there's a nuclear war, or human nature fundamentally changes. There are new versions of everything. I suspect in a year there will be GHz PDAs. So what? Waiting for technology to stop improving is like waiting for prices to come down on real estate before you buy it.

Get the T3! By all means! It looks outstanding. Hopefully the T608 will come out in weeks rather than months. You'll have a nice setup there. But it's not the setup that most people on a message board called "treocentral.com" want, and that shouldn't be too hard to figure out after this much time and this many posts.
    my 2 cents for the next treo

b4 i got my treo600... i thought T|treo was good! check out the attached picture... but after having to use my new Treo600 for a week now..... I've changed my mind! I'm in love with the size of my Treo600!

My current wishes now are:

Treo600 liked form factor, size remains...

Achievable at the curent state.....
    -480x320 (with virtual graffiti)
    -FM Radio
    -An earpiece with stereo sound with 2 buds,mic and volume control (preferrably FM channels selection) in wire on the bottom connector (no more jack pls) or bluetooth
    -Hidden antenna
    -Removable (s/thing like SE P900) and exchangable flip pads
    keyboard pad
    numeric pad (with T9 input)
    screen protection cover pad
    or pad-less
    -Rotatable screen
    -2 more bottuns next to the top speaker
    (for gaming or surfing while in the landscape mode and pad-less state)
    -5 way then place at the bottom (so it build on the set instead of the pads)
    -Bluetooth

s/thing to look for in the near future
    -Palm os 6
    -2MP camera
    -video motion capture
    -miniSD Card (to get the form factor even smaller)
    -slimmer form factor

any additions??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vkchengm; 11/13/2003 at 02:16 AM.
    any additions??

Attachment: new tungsten treo copy.jpg
    Hey vkchengm,

I think you might have actually just posted a pic of the Tungsten 4!

http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=18555

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I think you might have actually just posted a pic of the Tungsten 4!
    my design is with phone and Treo 5 ways! much better than the TT4 anyway that design I have already abandoned. am going for the treo600 look and feel now!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123