Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Yes, thats what I was referring too...
    O.K. Gfunkmagic:

I will mock it up and add it to my article but I need your actual name for conceptual credit.

Also if you have any other things you want me to modify please let me know.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Is it legal for Jake to use the palm logo and take Hand's products and change them around like that and claim they are his ideas?
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Gfunkmagic:

Gfunk: when you said: “I basically want the current Treo600 form factor minus the antenna with a TT-like slider that reveals a 320x480 screen underneath the keyboard.” Basically you mean something like the second and third images on my top row of images but with the buttons from the regular Treo 600???

Jake
    No, I mean take the original pic of the Treo600 in the top row, erase the huge antenna, and add a slider mechanism similar to the T3. When closed it would look just like the original Treo600, but when the slider is openned, it would reveal a 320x480 rez screen that would slide out from under the thumbboard...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

No, I mean take the original pic of the Treo600 in the top row, erase the huge antenna, and add a slider mechanism similar to the T3. When closed it would look just like the original Treo600, but when the slider is openned, it would reveal a 320x480 rez screen that would slide out from under the thumbboard...
    I feel you!!!
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by craigdts
    Is it legal for Jake to use the palm logo and take Hand's products and change them around like that and claim they are his ideas?
    Craigdts:

No it is not illegal.

In case you did not notice, my series of articles is called, “Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing.” To a very large extent my work-product is based on conceptual material I presented to Jeff Hawkins in our meeting.

In essence I am sharing with you what I shared with Jeff Hawkins and Peter Skillman. All my ideas have been presented as conceptual ideas on the not as real working products.

Jake

And by the way, unless otherwise stated they are my ideas.

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

YES!! That is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post in this thread.
    Last edited by jglev; 10/05/2003 at 05:01 PM.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by jglev

YES!! That is exactly what I was referring to in my previous posting in this thread.
    O.K. guys, I will try to add the image tonight the way you imagine it and I will give you both credit for it.

The only challenge I can think of for such a device is that if you want to type while you are say surfing the web in landscape it would be a little bit awkward.

Jake

In case you did not notice, my series of articles is called, “Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing.” To a very large extent my work-product is based on conceptual material I presented to Jeff Hawkins in our meeting.

In essence I am sharing with you what I shared with Jeff Hawkins and Peter Skillman. All my ideas have been presented as conceptual ideas on the not as real working products.

Jake

And by the way, unless otherwise stated they are my ideas.
    not to beat a dead horse, but your "ideas" really seem to be evolving based upon feed back from this forum.

I agree w/ previous posters a tungsten slider added to the 600 would be great.

give you both credit for it.
    Jake
    your kidding right? what for?
    First of all, jake, i love both your treo keyboard slider designs as well as the dashboard interface inside the lexus! Have you had a chance to discuss these two ideas with anyone at palmone recently? i honestly think you are on to something here!
    the in-car telephone and computer interfaces are fantastic and i am excited about them. i have heard of BMW producing bluetooth enabled cars in the near future and your design here would fit in beautifully with their initial entry into this market.

i got to thinking about the slider designs based on what i saw in the t3 and in your articles, and i described what i thought could be another nice convergence device in the thread labeled - slider keyboard designs.

basically, here are my thoughts ;

1. two sliders - one for the keyboard on bottom, one on top, possibly with a videoconferencing camera and speakers.

2. 2 sd expansion slots integrated into the top slider. for increasing memory as well as adding additional applications

3. hi res 480 x 480 or higher, lcd screen

4. upon opening BOTH sliders, you activate television or video
    streaming mode - for news streaming or movies.

5. opposite side of the treo - a larger, higher quality video-cam
    eye centered in the middle of the devices' back side -
    much like the design of current cameras.

6. hi quality microphones for audio recording just below the video cam eye to be used in
    conjunction with the video-cam to enable simultaneous
    video and audio recording.... which may be shared with
    other users via mms on pcs vision.

7. blue tooth - may listen to mp3s over bluetooth equipped car stereo speakers. if onstar-equipped, this may be integrated into the treo if needed as well.

8. ibm is researching fuelcell batteries for small devices, so
    this might be a solution for the large power demand in this
    treo and simultaneously solving the size and weight concerns.
    9. im not sure if its possible or even desirable to use the other
    two lateral sides of the treo as expansion opportunities... for example,... both sides could provide a "sled" or panel which could be pulled out during video streaming or tv mode to functon as bose surround speakers to enhance the audio experience while watching news or movies. essentially making all four sides of the treo expandable! (i am no engineer, so im not sure how feasible this is!)

10. essentially, using all the surface-area possible on this new treo to optimize the overall treo user experience!
    what do you think, jake? looking forward to article number 4 regarding the bullettrain dash. like i said.. i think its a winner!!
    p.s. do you think you could design a mockup or perspective of this device?
    id be very grateful! thanks, jake
    brian kwiatkowski
    Last edited by treobk214; 10/05/2003 at 05:35 PM.

O.K. guys, I will try to add the image tonight the way you imagine it and I will give you both credit for it.

The only challenge I can think of for such a device is that if you want to type while you are say surfing the web in landscape it would be a little bit awkward.

Jake
    FYI, LiveFaith over at Palminfocenter posted some pics of a hypothetical T|C upgrade that I thought were nice:

http://churchoflivingfaith.com/image...stenc3text.JPG

These should give you an idea of what a hypothetical Treo600 with slider could look like. I personally like the CT concept except I would prefer SD+CF slots instead of dual SD...

Btw, this idea is certainly not original as the above pic testifies. Thus any notion of 'credit' is silly...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    this is exactly what i had been thinking about. id love to see two expansion slots integrated, but im not sure if that pushes the envelope too much.
    jglev and gfunkmgic:

I added your conceptual ideas to my review. It is the third image down the page.

For credit please share your real name with me and I will add it to the article.

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm

Jake

Btw, this idea is certainly not original as the above pic testifies. Thus any notion of 'credit' is silly...
    Furthermore, I remember reading a while back in a SEC doc that palm has the slider patented. It doesn't take a far-seer to put palm treo + palm slider together = palm treo N, not Jake's treo 1000 . . . it seems it's just the next evolution . . . or @ least a good reason to charge us another $400, when the general pop is buying the treo 600 for $100-150.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    jglev and gfunkmgic:

I added your conceptual ideas to my review. It is the third image down the page.

For credit please share your real name with me and I will add it to the article.

Jake
    I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full. My full name is Jeff Levine.
    Jeff
    jglev and gfunkmgic:

Jake
    Sorry, but that pic is still not right. If you look at the pic of the Tungsten CT that LiveFaith created, you'll see what I mean. The slider area which covers the VG has rails on the sides which are narrower than the rest of the device. This is necessary for the device to collapse upon itself. The pic you created just makes it look as if the Treo600 now has a 320x480 screen. You should make the lower area (VG area) with narrower side railings to indicate that it has a slider mechanism similar to the Tungsten T series...

Btw...here's another pic of a hypothetical Treo 480v with high rez 320x480 screen and no thumbboard:

http://churchoflivingfaith.com/images/treo480v.jpg

Again credit must to LiveFaith...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/05/2003 at 06:05 PM.

Originally posted by craigdts

not to beat a dead horse, but your "ideas" really seem to be evolving based upon feed back from this forum.

I agree w/ previous posters a tungsten slider added to the 600 would be great.
    Not really. I already contemplated the idea of the phone as gfunk envisions it. I did a mock up but decided it would be better if the 5 way navigation button was smaller. That essentially is what I originally posted in my first group of images.

The second image in particular is my idea of what the Treo should look like except I also shortened the earpiece area and as I mentioned the third image from the left is the same device with the keyboard closed up over the bottom of the screen.

With regard to your comment that my “ideas really seem to be evolving based upon feedback from this forum.” Let me just say that all I want to see is people with the best tools possible. That is my sole objective in this entire experience.

Originally posted by jglev

I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full. My full name is Jeff Levine.
    Hi Jeff!

Sorry. I did not realize my mailbox was full. I added your name to my ariticle.

Jake

Sorry, but that pic is still not right. If you look at the pic of the Tungsten CT that LiveFaith created, you'll see what I mean. The slider area which covers the VG has rails on the sides which are narrower than the rest of the device. This is necessary for the device to collapse upon itself. The pic you created just makes it look as if the Treo600 now has a 320x480 screen. You should make the lower area (VG area) with narrower side railings to indicate that it has a slider mechanism similar to the Tungsten T series...

Btw...here's another pic of a hypothetical Treo 480v with high rez 320x480 screen and no thumbboard:

http://churchoflivingfaith.com/images/treo480v.jpg

Again credit must to LiveFaith...
    O.K. Gufunk,

I fixed the image and Gfunkomagiced it just for you:

Just a squirrel tryin to get a nut.

Are you there or am I spinning wheels?

Ill get off the thread if I'm irrelevant here!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast