Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, my 600 has almost infiltrated every aspect of my life, but there's one thing for which I still haven't found an excellent solution.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good way to get TV listings?

A PQA?
    A mobile site?

TV Guide Online is kinda clumsy. It takes a lot of drill-downs to actually get to the listings.
    Novi media which makes Noviiremote is going to launch their Novii Remote and Guide for PalmOS. This looks like it will be a very cool app once released IMO giving you detailed and specialized TV info...

Another option is to use something like the Gist TV Listing PQA. Unfortunately, Web clippings will NOT work on the Treo600, so this will not be very useful...

Anyway, there's tons of options out there, do a search at palmgear for more info...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Why buy an app ? Go to wireless.tvguide.com on your browser.
    Here's another cool app I just saw over at cliesource that you can use: it's called WhatsOn:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/hobbies/whatson.shtml

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    In my opionion, Pocket TV Manager was the best, but it has gone "off the air" because of problems getting data from TV Guide. It was very easy to customize and actually had a handle "virtual PC" version companion app that run the same interface on the PC. The program even had a reminder funtion that let you put programs on the Datebook calendar. Oh well, another great app bites the dust because of a MSFT-like monopoly.

Now, the alternative best I've seen is SecondScreen. They have their own data source, but it is less extensive than Pocket TV. It also lacks the PC companion app, but it does have a very nice website where you can view the listings. It too has a reminder funtion, but it does not integrate with the calendar and the reminder times don't seem to be customizable.

BTW, I tried WhatsOn, but the setup on the PC side is very clunky and the interface is poor. IMHO, it is worth the $10 to register SecondScreen.

Hope that helps.

Thx,
    TL
    Do you have a link for SecondScreen?

Thanks.

Geoffrey
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    You can get it on PalmGear http://www.palmgear.com.
    Thanks. I managed to find it shortly after posting.

Geoffrey
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Turns out that Pocket TV is back!! The bad thing is that it has the same data as SecondScreen TV which isn't as good as the original TV Guide hook-up. However all the functions I described earlier work. It requires the same $10 fee as SSTV so you have the choice of either the PTV or SSTV interface to the same data. I recommend PTV.

TL
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    OOPS! Forgot the link: http://www.pimcity.com
    avantgo has tv listings I'm sure! check it out at http://www.avantgo.com
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    any updates on this?
    I use WhatsOn too and so far it's ok, takes a while to download large databases (2 or more days) of full listings, so unless you need the full sked, try to limit to only your favorite channels

also graphically it is somewhat boring (for lack of a better word) - basic b&w text in a very basic grid. it is sometimes hard to see program titles of shows with long names. But, the function is there - it gets the listings you want in a grid format with show details.

All in all, a very scaled down app, but the best there is to my knowledge for its purpose...

And at the price (free) undeniably a tremendous value
    I saw this in the killer app thread. Checkout the Pocket TV Browser! Very cool app...

http://www.doublebit.com/ptvb/

Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I saw this in the killer app thread. Checkout the Pocket TV Browser! Very cool app...

http://www.doublebit.com/ptvb/
    Looks like a cool app. However, it promises two free weeks but won't let you download the listings without paying.
    Originally posted by Xdriver

Looks like a cool app. However, it promises two free weeks but won't let you download the listings without paying.
    Yeah, but C'mon....Its only $10/year!

Yeah, but C'mon....Its only $10/year!
    True enough but it's $10.00 thrown away if you don't like the app. Then there is the bait and switch factor. (ie) Free, free, free!!!! Well, almost free, only $10.00!!

True enough but it's $10.00 thrown away if you don't like the app. Then there is the bait and switch factor. (ie) Free, free, free!!!! Well, almost free, only $10.00!!
    Umm...well that's why there's a 2 week trial period! You should know by then if you like it or not...

Umm...well that's why there's a 2 week trial period! You should know by then if you like it or not...
    Umm..well that's the point. There isn't a 2 week trial period. They say there is one but after you get through all the registrations and picking the channels you want downloaded, etc. They hit you up for the $10.00 and you can't download your channels until it's paid.

Umm..well that's the point. There isn't a 2 week trial period. They say there is one but after you get through all the registrations and picking the channels you want downloaded, etc. They hit you up for the $10.00 and you can't download your channels until it's paid.
    No there isn't! I just installed the trial period w/o having to pay anything! Make sure you installed the correct version!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast