Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I could care less about BT, tried the headset it was more work than it was worth. I am not a power user since I am in the office all day. But I do need quick access to my contracts, email, word/excel documents, integration of email and MS documents, not a bad idea to show pics of the wife, kids (our cat), my new house during construction. Camera for that, " many my wife would like this" to email a quick photo.

BUT

The only things it does need are a HiRes Screen, and swappable batteries. That is not stupid or lame, but a reality. I also do not want to go back to lowRes trying to read documents.

Screen size the size is fine with me I am not reading a 40 colum excel document. I also plan to keep a PPC with larger screen for certain apps and programs it does do better than Palm. But I really want to go back to Palm if only for SplashID that is coming to PPC but who knows when.

So maybe I am a power user who knows.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    Two devices with Bluetooth is certainly an option. The problem is that with two devices the integration between software and hardware is not tight enough IMHO.

First of all Bluetooth 1.1 only allows a connection with one device at a time, meaning that if you are using a Bluetooth headset with your phone then your PDA will not be able to connect. That may change with the release of Bluetooth 1.2, but there are few or no

From a communication software standpoint the integration of IM, SMS,e-mail and MMS is very poor. It is almost impossible to maintain a stable Bluetooth connection between the PDA and Phone and then phone GPRS/VISION to the Internet which makes the us of IM difficult. Doing e-mail requieres extra steps which for me is not coveinent for quick e-mail on the go. Also, for the moment I am using two devices (Sony Clie TG-50 and Siemens GSM S55 Mobile phone) and if anyone thought the built in SMS application on the Treo was too barebones, wait till you try the built-in SMS app on the Sony. It makes the Treo 270 SMS application look robust.

In the end, two devices are a good option if you have limited communication needs and desire higher end PDA functions for viewing pictures or playing games. For business and commucation needs the Treo (even the current ones) will prove to the best tool overall. The compromises are very acceptable IMHO as communication, conveinence and speep are my priorities.
    NOW THAT WAS AN ENLIGHTENING PERSPECTIVE!!! WHILE IT IS TRUE THAT THE 600 WILL SET US BACK TO THE STONE AGE WITH 160 X 160, THE NO INTEGRATION BETWEEN TWO BLUETOOTH DEVICES EXPLAINS THE NEED FOR THE 600. And we know Handspring did it right. What is needed out there is a Bluetooth COMBO...with all sorts of integration worked out. Obviously buying two separate devices and expecting any integration capabilites is a fool's dream, but I only understood this after reading your explanations.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ardint
    No offense, but it sounds to me like you were never really in the market for a smart phone in the first place. No biggie, everyone gets gadget envy once in a while...

So here's the straight dope. What do you use your treo for RIGHT NOW? Conversation piece at parties? Honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss here, since I have no idea what "casual" use of a Treo would constitute.

Let me start at the other end of the spectrum then. I use my treo for the following. I take notes using a infrared wireless keyboard and QuickWord, which I then instantly email back to myself. I send faxes from QuickWord and QuickOffice. All of my essential Microsoft Office files are in QuickOffice. I get email wherever I am, with attachments. I use verichat to instantly see whenever a friend or co-worker is online and I can shoot them a message. My email works with SMS notification, including my Hotmail account, so I know exactly when I get a new email, and who its from (closest I can get to push mail, and really all I need. I don't need spam pushed). Of course, I have all my contacts, plus quick reminders thanks to Slap. I use the speakerphone a lot, when I am taking a call and I want a cigarette, no one can tell the difference. I do all of my personal web surfing, like this site, whenever I get a free minute. I have mapopolis, too, and we all know how convenient that can be.

Can you do all that with multiple devices? Sure. Will it be as seemless? Doubtful.

Think about this. The main reason most people get so much use out of their Treo is precisely because it is their only device. Think about it. You have a BT phone and PDA. You can dial contacts from the PDA. But you know the persons number, so you just whip out the phone. Eventually you'll keep whipping out the phone more and more and the PDA less and less, for this and other functions. The physical separation between the two devices will create a psycological separation in your mind.

And after a long while, you'll use the phone for calls and SMS, and your PDA for appointments, email and web browsing, and little else. To me, you have just wasted money on both devices.

I use my Treo so much because it is all right there. Its the only device I have, and it is always with me. I don't need a 400Mhz processor. For what? Games? Divx?

Kinoma's fine for video, and I don't have time for games. If I did I'd get a free cell and a gameboy. The screen is a downer, but with a 144 processor, it should be plenty fast with the scroll and zoom features on QuickSheet.

And that's all I care about. The Treo 600 and a fold out keyboard will replace my laptop for essential functions. It just doesn't do the BS stuff, like DVDs and games. Frankly, leave the games to the kids. I have work to do.
    Another great explanation. Hardware manufacturers take note: without a COMBO package out there nobody is gonna really be happy with a BT two device solution...one just loses too much integration. A COMBO package with special software would help. But I gotta tell you, if the 600 had a 320 x 320 screen, I'd shut up. Its not really the 2 inches, it is the lack of pictures, lack of fancy stuff in 2004. It hurts. I need the 600 but I may not go for it right away...I'm sure the price will go down at least $ 100 after the trade in program ends...and I think by then a Treo with 320 x 320 will be announced. It really is the only criticism I have for the device.
    Originally posted by mgauss
    I have a Treo 300 now.
    I have a Sony Clie NX70V + Ericsson t39m (BT enabled) phone now.

My next $ 600 should buy me two things:

portability and wow appeal.
    My next $600 should buy me two things: portability and ease of use.

I think a small BT phone and a nice 320 x 480 screen is what I need.
    Then I think you're participating in the wrong discussion board, man!

The only people who really need a 600 are people who need a keyboard and wanna keep it under 6 ounces.

But a BT phone and a nice screen would keep you at 6-7 ounces, and you can put your life into a real huge 320 x 480 screen.
    With my current solution (Clie+phone), I indeed get 320x480 for web browsing. But nice as it is (I really appreciate it, you know), it's still far from perfect. And it's definitely bulkier and heavier than what you think: adding the NX70V weight (220g) to the t39m weight (86g) will get you 10.8 ounces without any case, and two separate devices to carry with you. Whenever you want to surf the web, you'll first need to activate BT on the phone (unless you want to recharge it every other day you'll want to keep it turned off by default), then on the PDA (and since the NX70V has no builtin bluetooth, I have the added inconvenience to replace my MemoryStick by the Bluetooth MemoryStick), and then you can browse the web. Definitely not something you can do to do a quick check on some web page, it'll take you almost a minute to setup!

Granted, newer PDAs often have integrated bluetooth and may weight less than 220g, but you'll still have to activate BT on the phone.

Are you really gonna live in a 2" x2" 160 x 160 screen? That is like a Japanese apartment! Where is the wow appeal? The organization...
    That's a good question. I remember a time when I had a Palm V. This was a really good PDA. Then I added color on top of that (Sony S500C), then High Resolution (Sony N700C), then even higher resolution (Sony NX70V), and even if this was actually much more pleasant to look at, I discovered recently that I spent more time showing off the great features of my PDA rather than using it as a PDA. Maybe now is the time to return to a PDA-style use rather than using your PDA as a full-featured desktop replacement!

Anyway, you can of course skip your turn on this one, as HandSpring will certainly release an improved device in the future (with certainly a higher resolution once the technology is fully mastered for those.

As for me, I'll first have it in hand "in real life" to see by myself (instead of through some other user's advices, how qualified they are), then will probably buy it if I think that I can live with the 160x160 screen. And the one-hand-use will definitely be a plus for me. The keyboard, I don't know. I was sceptical at first but I think it (the keyboard) deserves the right to be tested in real life before taking a decision!
    If any of you ever get a chance to use properly engineered bluetooth device, such as those found on the P800 and T610 you will never want to revert to phone with out it. I come home from school, my phones sitting a good twenty feet away from my coimputer in a backback and its automatically updated with all my Outlook contacts and calender events. If i want some new ringtones I drag and drop midis and images to a folder and bam they are right there in the phones memory. It doesnt get any better if you ask me. Not to mention the O so sweet implemetation of BT car kits.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    Originally posted by daftgem
    If any of you ever get a chance to use properly engineered bluetooth device, such as those found on the P800 and T610 you will never want to revert to phone with out it.

I come home from school, my phones sitting a good twenty feet away from my coimputer in a backback and its automatically updated with all my Outlook contacts and calender events.
    I hope you'll allow me to disagree here:

I don't use Outlook on my PC (why bother? I've got a nice and friendly PDA which can handle my contacts and calendar in a much more efficient way! I wouldn't even consider having to look into my laptop to know at what time is my next appointment with my dentist, when this can be done in a few seconds using a PDA), so I don't need the outlook sync feature you mention.

If i want some new ringtones I drag and drop midis and images to a folder and bam they are right there in the phones memory.
    Wow! I'm impressed!

Seriously, I've designed my own ringtones (just a couple of them) using a PalmOS program some time ago, I beamed them to my phone using IR (don't think the application supported BT at that time, anyway). The same goes for the screen background: I designed my own and beamed it to my phone and voila! Unless you're a compulsive user needing a different ringtone and background picture every other day (in which case your point is of course perfectly valid! ) this kind of things need not to be repeated regularly, so the improvement brought by BT over IR is really marginal!

Not to mention the O so sweet implemetation of BT car kits.
    This one I won't dispute. I don't have such a BT car kit, as I receive rather few phone calls at all, much less while I'm in my car, but it certainly seems more confortable that way rather than using a wired hand-free kit.

But is this enough to prevent me from buying a BT phone in the future? Certainly not! The main use I have for BT (and the reason why I chose the Ericsson t39m) was to connect my PDA to the net while on the go, and if/when I have a smartphone-like PDA (like the Treo 600), I won't have a need for BT anymore since the PDA and phone will be the same device!

So in your situation BT is an essential feature when buying a mobile phone, but this doesn't mean that it should be the same for everyone else!
    euroclie.

The reason I left off data is that was covered earlier. BT isnt essential for me, but it is one helluva nice feature. I wish Handspring would just solder a BT chip on there, they already have told us there is space!

edit. t39m in iceburg blue, now that is an awesome phone!

http://www.shops.gr/hardware/images/...iceblue_sm.jpg

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    Originally posted by daftgem
    The reason I left off data is that was covered earlier. BT isnt essential for me, but it is one helluva nice feature.
    That's understood! It's true that it's a "nice" feature. Not a "must have" though other than for data.

I wish Handspring would just solder a BT chip on there, they already have told us there is space!
    I for sure wouldn't have complained either if the 600 had had builtin BT!!! But I think I'll seriously buy it "as is", and cross my fingers so that next year's Treo will feature BT and OS6!

t39m in iceburg blue, now that is an awesome phone!
    I had to settle for the gray and black one (pic link below), the only model available in the shop when I bought it, but I agree with you, the iceberg blue was really nice!

http://www.sonyericsson.com/T39/imag...ome/banner.jpg
    The only reason I went to two bluetooth devices after being an early 180 and 270 user, was the constant need to replace the 270 because of too many failures. It was, to put it midly, a pain in the a**. I find carrying my T616 and Palm TungstenT quite ok, actually. And my connections between the bluetooth headset and phone and PDA are smooth. I found I didn't need the keyboard as much as I thought I would. I've got the external if I need to send a long email. That said, I will definitely check out the GSM 600. What can I say? I loved the 270. But I'm gonna wait till the bugs get worked out. And an OS6 version. You know, once bitten, no.. twice... ahh three times...
    It is a credit to the people of this forum that a thread that started so crassly has developed to a constructive discussion!!!

I have used HP iPAQs a lot and the thing that makes me prefer my Treo is the keyboard. It is just so convenient - quick to start, fast input rate, fairly accurate. I would be very reluctant to go to an "all screen" (like the XDA) or "grafitti" style input.
    By contrast on the iPAQ, you have to pop out the stylus, then start tapping out on the keyboard displayed on the screen. Less accurate, slower, less functional. And sure the iPAQ has handwriting recognition, but that is more as a party trick than something to actually use for input!!

..to be fair, the iPAQ does have a sensational screen.. but that's another story!

James
    Great thread. Some great discussions here that I really have benefited from and seeing how some of you use your Treos (and BT/PDAs).

Being a non-Treo user (but hopefully a convert when 600 is released!), I look at the phone first as most important to me. Then, the PDA is a big benefit.

The TWO device solution was a consideration I was thinking of today too and really analyzed that as an alternative if the 600 is delayed. But, I think having two devices for me is not the best option. For others, it might be fine ... but I don't see me using the PDA at all ... even though I'd like it and if it had a combo BT/WI-FI I can see SOME use there on my wlan.

But, ardint - and a couple of other users made EXCELLENT points and examples and really makes me think the TREO 600 is the way to go for me. Great thread guys ... really helps me. -ot
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12