Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    As many of you are aware, there is a bill in congress to allow number portability (the ability to keep your phone number after changing service providers) by November 24th. All of the wireless companies (except Verizon) have been fighting this bill and trying to appeal it for obvious reasons.

I keep up with this and many feel that the deadline will be erradicated via politics and/or red tape.

Here is the latest, for those who are interested:

Wireless Week
    Breaking News Alert
    September 9, 2003
    =====================================================================

Verizon Issues LNP Challenge
    By Mark Rockwell

In a move calculated to rattle its rivals, Verizon Wireless came out
    swinging today on local number portability, challenging its
    competitors to disclose what they've done to meet the FCC's Nov. 24
    deadline for LNP implementation.

In a statement released this afternoon, the nation's largest wireless
    carrier said it was busily upgrading its network, changing and porting
    new systems, training internal and external distribution personnel,
    conducting initial tests of porting systems and building its call
    center in Tennessee.

The company also issued a chart comparing its LNP implementation
    activities since May. It contends that while Alltel, AT&T Wireless,
    Cingular Wireless, Nextel Communications and Sprint PCS continue to
    file for further legal action related to LNP, it is moving ahead with
    actual implementation.

"The lobbying and legal resources being used by our competitors to
    derail or delay number portability should come to an immediate end,
    and that energy should be re-directed to ensuring they are ready to
    let their customers change service providers with their wireless
    numbers. This is especially true since those same service providers
    are already passing their costs on to their customers on regular
    monthly bills," said Mark Tuller, vice president and general counsel
    of Verizon Wireless.

"Americans should know: Come November 24, you should be able to take
    your number with you. But if you are a customer of Alltel, AT&T
    Wireless, Cingular, Nextel or Sprint, your service provider is working
    hard against that freedom," he said.

A source at one of the carriers mentioned by Verizon disputed that
    contention. "What a laugh," said the source, who requested anonymity.
    "Who had been suing the federal government not long ago to stop LNP?
    Verizon Wireless. We're in favor of the concept and will be a net
    winner when LNP is in place. All we're asking is the FCC clarify some
    of the points about LNP that will make it effective for consumers. We
    accept the fact the deadline is approaching."
    Just wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure that all neccessary Congressional and FCC action to make number portability happen has already occured. At this point, the law is that WNP will take effect on Nov. 24, and it would take an act of Congress or an FCC ruling to stop that from happening. While the wireless industry has secured several such rulings in the past, this time they're not united, and it's likely that Verizon would sue to force WNP to take effect. In conflicted situations like this one the government response if often to do nothing, and that would mean that by default WNP will happen. So, chances are pretty good this year.
    On point that I'm not sure was addressed here, but November 24th is only the deadline for the 100 largest wireless markets in the US. If you're in a small market town on an affiliate, WLNP might not apply to you.

Here's the list in of the top 100 markets. If you're not on it, you might not get WLNP right away:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...pa#post1292822
    Does anyone know if T-Mobile is active in this lobbying and delaying tactic? I would personally be inclined to spank and / or reward a specific carrier over this issue based upon principle alone! I am currently with AT&T and have been for 6 years. I was in a store the other day and when I asked the manager about this deadline, he just scoffed at the idea of it and stated that he'll believe it when he sees it. Perhaps he was merely reflecting the ATTWS company attitude about this. These folks have remained so arrogantly non-competitive with their voice and data rates and their transition to GSM here in Colorado has been a joke with unbelievable gaps in coverage right here in the metro area. I am contemplating a jump to T-Mobile.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    Does anyone know if T-Mobile is active in this lobbying and delaying tactic?
    I read an interesting article about this subject in the WSJ the other day. Very broadly: Some wireless (and landline) phone companies strongly oppose WLNP because they stand to lose costumers (AT&T Wireless, Sprint PCS), while others (T-MO, Verizon) support the idea for they will end up with more costumers. The WSJ calculated the economics of phone companies in their decision. For example, T-MO has the lowest pricing in the biz, and Verizon has the largest market (according to the WSJ) so they'll end up gaining costumers. Sprint PCS has one of the worst tech/live support service thus WLNP will hurt them.
    As costumers, I think we should cheer for it.
    m00se
    Last edited by m00se; 09/12/2003 at 10:24 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I read somewhere that you can only keep your old number for local to local transfers for now. For example, if you move from Miami to NY, your number is not yet portable.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Nov.24th, cause I plan to take my old number from Sprint and switch to T-Mobile! I only wish they would let me do it now!.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    I read somewhere that you can only keep your old number for local to local transfers for now. For example, if you move from Miami to NY, your number is not yet portable.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Nov.24th, cause I plan to take my old number from Sprint and switch to T-Mobile! I only wish they would let me do it now!.
    You're right. WLNP = Wireless LOCAL Number Portability. This doesn't let people change their location and area code but keep the same 7 digit phone number.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

You're right. WLNP = Wireless LOCAL Number Portability. This doesn't let people change their location and area code but keep the same 7 digit phone number.
    Yes, but... That article I mentioned in the WSJ touched briefly on the possibility of WNP nationwide. Stay tuned, I guess
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    On point that I'm not sure was addressed here, but November 24th is only the deadline for the 100 largest wireless markets in the US. If you're in a small market town on an affiliate, WLNP might not apply to you.
    [/url]
    Hmmm.

Do you have to be living in the 100 top markets on the 24th?
    What if you move outof or into the top 100 after the 24th?
    What if you do business in the one of the top 100, but not live in one of the top 100?

:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

Hmmm.

Do you have to be living in the 100 top markets on the 24th?
    What if you move outof or into the top 100 after the 24th?
    What if you do business in the one of the top 100, but not live in one of the top 100?

:-)
    Good questions. But if you move from one market to another, then you might not be covered because this is LOCAL number portability. I don't know if it would go by your billing address or the region where the phone number is.