Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    I have owned my treo for a year and am hooked. Right now I have poccketflash installed in order to retrieve my AOL email. It works super. I am about to drop AOL alltogether as I now subscribe to Bellsouth DSL and dont need both. I want to be able to retrieve my bellsouth email on my TREO. Will this be possible? If so, I need step by step instructions please as I am incompetent when it comes to computers. Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    I have owned my treo for a year and am hooked. Right now I have poccketflash installed in order to retrieve my AOL email. It works super. I am about to drop AOL alltogether as I now subscribe to Bellsouth DSL and dont need both. I want to be able to retrieve my bellsouth email on my TREO. Will this be possible? If so, I need step by step instructions please as I am incompetent when it comes to computers. Thanks in advance.
    You'll need a POP3 client like Eudora which is free but limited in features, or Snapper Mail which costs $35 or $45 but has many useful features. You'll need to set it up with the same settings as you would with your e-mail client at home, ie Outlook or whatever you'll be using.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the reply. I dont know wht POP3 is but I am sure I can get it fugured out. Can you briefly tell me the advantages of Snappermail vs Eudora. I dont mind spending the money but if I dont need to I wont. I just want to be able to get my email while on the road with my TREO as I do with my AOL mail now via pocketflash. When you mention settings what do you mean?
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    thanks for the reply. I dont know wht POP3 is but I am sure I can get it fugured out. Can you briefly tell me the advantages of Snappermail vs Eudora. I dont mind spending the money but if I dont need to I wont. I just want to be able to get my email while on the road with my TREO as I do with my AOL mail now via pocketflash. When you mention settings what do you mean?
    POP3/SMTP is the protocol that most ISP's use for e-mail. If you get an e-mail account through your new internet service provider, chances are that it's POP3. Eudora is very basic in that it will download plain text e-mail. It won't display pictures or HTML formatted messages with all the colors and other fancy things. It also won't handle attachments, like when you send a file with an e-mail. There are some other differences, but those are the most basic ones you would notice from regular daily use. If you're going to use your computer at home for your e-mail primarily and just want to check on your e-mail while you're out, then Eudora's fine. That's what I do. I'll just get home and everything will still be there in Outlook with all the attachments, HTML, pics, etc so I'm not worried about having all the bells and wistles on my mobile e-mail client.

    When you set up a POP3/SMTP e-mail client, you have to enter settings such as the mail server's address, password, username, etc. You'll get that information from your ISP. It's all very simple.
  5.    #5  
    Letsgo,
    First of all thanks so very much for taking the time to explain this to me. Eudora will do just fine for me as my desktop it my primary email conduit. It's just that when I am on the road I use my TREO to keep up. You mention that I need to get settings from my ISP. My new email acct is with bellsouth so I am understanding that I should call them and say I am getting a eudora acct and need the settings? I assume they will know what I mean.
    Finally, where do I down load Eudora. I will look back at some other messages in the meantime to see if I can find where to download.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    Letsgo,
    First of all thanks so very much for taking the time to explain this to me. Eudora will do just fine for me as my desktop it my primary email conduit. It's just that when I am on the road I use my TREO to keep up. You mention that I need to get settings from my ISP. My new email acct is with bellsouth so I am understanding that I should call them and say I am getting a eudora acct and need the settings? I assume they will know what I mean.
    Finally, where do I down load Eudora. I will look back at some other messages in the meantime to see if I can find where to download.
    You're welcome. You can get Eudora here : http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite/

    Your ISP might not be completely familiar with the Palm version of Eudora, but the basic settings that I touched on should be roughly the same for most POP3 clients, so they should be able to walk you through it if you have any trouble.
  7. #7  
    Hey John,

    If memory serves me, you are with Cingular and from the thread mentioned below you might have a problem w/Bell South in sending mail. If you ever even need to send.......

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ell+south.html

    I'm not with Bell South and can't confirm if this is still the case but if you need to use another SMTP server to send, Cingular will not provide you with their SMTP server info in which case you will have to get another SMTP server in order to send email.
    Try FastMail:
    http://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?STKI=153095

    Have I totally confused you yet?

    Later
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  8.    #8  
    Millelrhifi
    I just got home from a trip, thus the delay. I am with Sprint. I want to let go of my AOL. I already registered with Bellsouth and have email. I need to be able to retrieve it on my treo from the Bellsouth network. I am under the impression that I can do it from eudora. Later tonight I will call Bellsouth and begin the process. I will go to the link you gave me and download the Eudora. Standby for the panic calls.

Posting Permissions