1.    #1  
    I responded to an old thread in the Communications Software forum, but since I'm not sure that thread was in the correct place to begin with, I'm going to cross-post:

I've been using the http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx link for ages to acess my hotmail account via Blazer. Attempted to do so today, and was greeted with the message:

"PREMIUM SERVICE

We're sorry. There is a problem with your access to this permium service. Go to our Web site at http://mobile.msn.com on your PC to learn more, or to contact product support."

After visiting that site, it appears that MS now wants you to pay $19.99 a year to access your free hotmail account. $24.99 if you wait until after Nov. 25th.

So it looks like that method won't work anymore. Anybody have any more URL's and tricks to get Hotmail on Blazer?

I'm getting ready to dump hotmail completely...
    OH NOOOOOOOO! You're right, it seems like they've blocked the mobile hotmail access! Boy this royally stinks if now you need to sign up for a premium subscription to access you email! *sigh* I think I'm gonna have to give up on hotmail for good now!

If anyone finds an alternative portal, I would also like to know...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    clogoodie.

Try using OneMail in the meantime. I haven't tried this yet and mentioned it before in another thread. It apparently will allow you to access hotmail w/o subscribing to the premium services. I would be curious if anyone coud get this to work...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I just went to the address and was able to get my email. I don't have the premium service either. Could have been one of those M$ occasional hiccups. Try again ... see if it wrks now.
    09/04/03 4:38pm Austin, Texas. Worked for me via Blazer. Lets hope it's a hickcup on their end or something....I think it would do them more harm then good to charge for the WAP/PDA access.

Matt
    i just tried again 5:47 PM US eastern time and still didn't work?! I cleared my blazer cache and cookies as well, but still no go?! Are you guy sure you're using http://mobile.msn.com/msignup/na.aspx? I get the error message even on my PC using IE6.

8.    #8  
    I cleared my cache and cookies in Blazer just now and attempted to access via http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx and it is still giving me the same message about premium services...

This is odd...
    It is working with Xiino browser.
  10.    #10  
    Nope, I get the same thing with Xiino as I do with Blazer...
    I have the same problem for both Xiino and Blazer. No access on Hotmail. I am using a Teo 180 with T-Mobile as service with GPRS 1.1.1. GPRS came preinstalled.

Can the two users who said they can access Hotmail declare their equipment configuration, Phone service provider and what upgrades they have or have not applied to their Treo so at least we can see the immediate difference.
    I have never used this service/option before.

I went to to http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx and it asked me to log on.

Once I do, i get:

"The service you are trying to reach is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

I'm using a 270 over gprs and blazer.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I can access my Hotmail account with both Xiino and Blazer. I use a Treo 90 and connect via cable through my Verizon Wireless phone. Verizon does have some type of "agreement" with MSN. I wonder if this makes a difference?
    Someone just posted in another forum that he need to suscribe to the Mobile MSN to get it too work. I too have the scription (it's free to my knowlge) and have had it for a long time, I love their alerts they send for my buddy list on my hotmail account, the stock price triggers and my daily weather update. The "Sleep time" is a big plus, Matt
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Someone just posted in another forum that he need to suscribe to the Mobile MSN to get it too work. I too have the scription (it's free to my knowlge) and have had it for a long time, I love their alerts they send for my buddy list on my hotmail account, the stock price triggers and my daily weather update. The "Sleep time" is a big plus, Matt
    I obviously have a hotmail subscription as well! But I still can't access my hotmail email via the link anymore! Does anyone know what's going on here? I keep getting the "premium service" needed message. Boy thsi really stinks...

After getting the same 'subsciption' error as you guys for a day, I'm now able to log on! Treo300 with SprintVision on Blazer. I didn't have to clear the cache or cookies.
  17.    #17  
    Anyone still having problems:

You apparently have to register with MSN mobile now, and give them your cell # in order to resume hotmail access...see the thread below for more info:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...951#post235951
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    clogoodie.

Try using OneMail in the meantime. I haven't tried this yet and mentioned it before in another thread. It apparently will allow you to access hotmail w/o subscribing to the premium services. I would be curious if anyone coud get this to work...
    I went to the link for OneMail, it says, it requires PalmMail. Where do you get PalmMail?
    Originally posted by antmelnat
    I can access my Hotmail account with both Xiino and Blazer. I use a Treo 90 and connect via cable through my Verizon Wireless phone. Verizon does have some type of "agreement" with MSN. I wonder if this makes a difference?
    The one difference I see in your configuration, is your connection through Verizon Wireless phone. As to the Verizon agreement with MSN, anything is possible with Microsoft.

Can anyone with Verizon access also second confirm what antmelnat can access as far as Hotmail is concerned?

Websites detects what type of browser you use so they can display information accordingly, this is part of the information that your browser returns to the sites you are visiting.

This is how Microsoft can also prevent other browsers from accessing their websites (although Microsoft always denies doing that as their purpose.)

In the case of Hotmail, they did change their policy for you to use their .NET login and register that way. The website defines how you can access your Hotmail emails. They specifically require your cell# because Microsoft wants to send your Hotmail email (through the phone text messaging, if you check the online demo) instead of you retrieving your mails.

Note: This is Microsoft smart move, as Microsoft and affiliates can now send messages to you on your cell phone and send you SMS messages as well. As of now, I think there is no way to selectively block SMS messages (see other threads in this site). Note further that Microsoft web sites does not declare any privacy rules in their site.

I wonder if there are Pocket PC users out there who would be nice enough to share their experience when accessing mobile.msn.com if they too are required to use the same requirement as the other wireless cell phone users?