1.    #1  
    I am about to ship back a defective treo 90 and would like to know how to quickly clear all my info from it before I send it back.
    Thanks.
    Hold down the power button while resetting it by putting the pin in the reset hole. Select "Yes" when asked if you want to erase everthing.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Does this erase the data beyond any means of recovery?
    In other words, could someone with the right software and equipment extract the data after a hard reset?
    Is there some way to overwrite the memory with garbage data multiple times so as to prevent that?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rusty J
    PocketTop IR keyboard
    As far as I know, this deletes all data. This is not a hard drive where the data sticks around unless it is specifically erased. This is volatile, where the data is erased absent current. Therefore, another way you could erase it would be to let your battery run all the way down to zero (though I think the Treo will try to shut itself off as the level gets low).
    I don't know if they cut the current to the memory when you do a hard reset or perform a software erase of the memory. If you want to be sure, you need to let the battery run down until you achieve hard reset state.
    I thought by the title of this thread that someone made a new "Clear" case for their Treo!
    Hate for fuel the paranoia, but once you've drained the battery, the Treo will still have a small amount of battery power designed to retain what's in memory. The old visors, including the rechargables were designed to retain memory for a month. I'm not sure how long the Treo will retain a charge in memory before it truly deletes it.

I have never heard of anyone being able to get files back after a hard reset. Doesn't mean it can't be done. But it seems very unlikely.

Kevin