Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I am interested in purchasing a Treo for development purposes. Specifically, I want to target the Treo 600 in my development, but my testing requires an actual device that can receive real voice/data calls and text messages. I doubt that Handspring will rush me out a beta Treo 600 unit to work with, so I'm looking for the next best thing.

The Treo 90, though discontinued, seems a better choice for my needs. Compared to the 270, the Treo 90 has a newer version of the PalmOS, offers SD card expansion, and costs less.

Am I missing anything here? It seems too good to be true that I actually need the less-expensive of two models for a change.

Thanks very much,
    -Jeff
    Originally posted by jishaq
    Specifically, I want to target the Treo 600 in my development, but my testing requires an actual device that can receive real voice/data calls and text messages.
    the 90 is not a phone. it cant do any of that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    That would explain it, thanks! What a sanity check that was. I can't believe I spent half an hour on handspring.com trying to discover this information to no avail.

I guess my next (and hopefully not so stupid) question would be: if I buy a Treo 270 from eBay that claims to be unlocked, but which turns out to be locked anyway, am I simply stuck with it? Or can I persuade my present provider (Cingular) to "unlock" it so I can use it with my current plan on their network? This can become fairly difficult from what I've read on these forums.

-Jeff
    I think you would need the carrier the phone is locked to to unlock it. They may not want to do that. :-)

since you have a cingular account already, you are best to either get a cingular locked phone or an unlocked phone.

Good lock.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Have you checked the HS site for a 600 Emulator? I haven't heard if it's available yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. It will be free for registered developers.

There are such huge differences in the Current Treos and the 600, that you should wait for the emulator. OS3.5 and 5.2 are drastically different. Plus the communications hardware will all change.

The emulators are not perfect, but they are what most developers use. Also note that some things that work on the 600 will fail on the emulator (and vice versa).

Kevin
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Have you checked the HS site for a 600 Emulator? I haven't heard if it's available yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. It will be free for registered developers.

There are such huge differences in the Current Treos and the 600, that you should wait for the emulator. OS3.5 and 5.2 are drastically different. Plus the communications hardware will all change.

The emulators are not perfect, but they are what most developers use. Also note that some things that work on the 600 will fail on the emulator (and vice versa).

Kevin
    The emulator and SDK have been available for quite some time. TreoCentral ran a story about them a while back.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Yes, I have access to the latest build of the Treo 600 Simulator. I need to simulate incoming and outgoing calls, messages, and data. So for this purpose, I'm seeking a Treo 270 with real service.

I am fortunate in that the part I'm testing hasn't had many changes from the Treo 270 SDK.

Thanks for your input!
    -Jeff