1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    Does anyone currently use MSN Messenger on a Treo 300? If so then should I assume it will work on the 600? I tried to use it on my Kyo 6035 but with no luck. As I plan to get a 600 I woul like to use it as most people I know use it. I currently use AOL Instant messenger with no problems but not many people I know use it.

Thanks!
    What program are you talking about?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Check out VeriChat - it may be the killer app for the Treo (if you have GPRS Service). Given that our devices are called Communicators, I believe this app should be bundled with the Treo, but who am I to say...

It is the ONLY piece of Software I've ever tried, that had a free trial, that I bought the DAY I downloaded it, it is that perfect!
    R. Evan Stevens
    One warning about Verichat for MSN. From Slashdot.org:

"According to Infoworld, Microsoft has announced that as of October 15 some third-party software and older versions of MSN Messenger will no longer be able to log in to their Instant Messaging service. Microsoft cited 'security issues', but declined to offer specifics. The company sent an email alert to Messenger users, but users reported thinking the message was a hoax or virus after receiving over a dozen copies of the email."

In short, in a couple months we might not have access to MSN messenger from Verichat anymore.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    One warning about Verichat for MSN. From Slashdot.org:

"According to Infoworld, Microsoft has announced that as of October 15 some third-party software and older versions of MSN Messenger will no longer be able to log in to their Instant Messaging service. Microsoft cited 'security issues', but declined to offer specifics. The company sent an email alert to Messenger users, but users reported thinking the message was a hoax or virus after receiving over a dozen copies of the email."

In short, in a couple months we might not have access to MSN messenger from Verichat anymore.
    We are working on having the VeriChat servers use the latest
    versions of the MSN protocols, and at this time we believe that
    if and when Microsoft stops supporting the older protocols, VeriChat will continue working. Since this is a change at the VeriChat servers, no changes will be necessary for individual users.

PDAapps
    Originally posted by PDAapps

We are working on having the VeriChat servers use the latest
    versions of the MSN protocols, and at this time we believe that
    if and when Microsoft stops supporting the older protocols, VeriChat will continue working. Since this is a change at the VeriChat servers, no changes will be necessary for individual users.

PDAapps
    That's good to hear.
    MSN is not working with Verichat tonight, I just tried it and it keeps telling my I have been logged off the MSN proxy server. AOL is working fine.

Nathan
    MSN has made some changes to their authentication protocols and we are working on incorporating a fix to our server software to deal with these changes. MSN access via VeriChat should be back online (hopefully) in a day or so. Stay tuned.

PDAapps
    Originally posted by PDAapps
    MSN has made some changes to their authentication protocols and we are working on incorporating a fix to our server software to deal with these changes. MSN access via VeriChat should be back online (hopefully) in a day or so. Stay tuned.

PDAapps
    PDAapps, hope you can minimize the outage. I have come to rely on this application for mobile communications. I hope over the next year there can be some major improvements to the reliability of keeping those proxy servers up and running and capacity planning for the traffic. If you can do that you have a winner. For now, things are down too frequently.
    From what I have seen with MSN they do not like 3rd party apps logging onto their system for you, so MS tried their best to not make them work. I used to use Jabber all the time with MSN and it went down frequently because MS kept blocking the jabber servers!

Nathan
    Yeah, too bad verichat crashes a fair bit on my Treo 300, and doesn't allow the use of the keyboard for input. IMO, it's not a professional application, and they should be ashamed of themselves for asking for money for such an unpolished product.
    Originally posted by n7ekg
    Yeah, too bad verichat crashes a fair bit on my Treo 300, and doesn't allow the use of the keyboard for input. IMO, it's not a professional application, and they should be ashamed of themselves for asking for money for such an unpolished product.
    Doesn't allow use of the keyboard? All I ever use for input for VeriChat is the keyboard and it works fine. As far as it crashing, it didn't crash my 300 more than any other program. The Treo crashes every now and then but VeriChat didn't make it crash a lot compared to anything else.
    Sorry, I meant the on-screen keyboard - it's extremely difficult to enter login names with an underscore in them (as is commonly assigned by Yahoo). 1.90 (the latest on the website) also crashes on me every time I run it on my Treo 300.
    My wife and I both use Verichat on our Treo 300s and haev had no problems with it crashing. The problem we both had with them was related to a ROM update that caused both Treo 300s to have serious problems with all wireless functions and programs. It was so bad that we exchanged both Treo 300s for new ones. Verichat has worked well for us, given the problems with protocol changes that MSN/Yahoo have thrown in.

Prior to switching to Verichat, I used the freeware version of AOLs IM - it worked ok, though it did not allow me to maintain an "always online presence," a plus that Verichat does. Being in contact at all times is really handy.

Ben

---------

Originally posted by n7ekg