1.    #1  
    NEW YORK (Reuters) :

"People stumbled through darkened hallways using the screens of their iPod digital music players and Treo computer phones as flashlights. "

Funny, I used my Treo as a flashlight the other night too!

Full story
    YEs, I have been using my treo as a night light since I got it. Another neat undockumented feature (and I don't mean a
    "bug" either)
    I also used it as a flashlight.
    In addition, the Treo was pretty much the gateway to the internet at work during the blackout, and even on Fri AM when several friends' broadband connections weren't responding.
    Not to mention how Mapopolis helped with the unfamiliar commute home when the NYC subways went down.
    How I used my Treo during the blackout.

In the beginning of the blackout, it was basically worthless. I was getting getting a signal, but could not contact anyone. But I did receive a couple of IMs from a friend who is on vacation in europe, but I could not respond.

After getting on a bus on 137th, it was epmty, my friend imed me again. He was watching CNN and now knew (as did I) what had happened. He couldn't contact his GF and asked me to. The phone got through and I was able to talk to her. I hung up and IMed him back.

Got home used the treo to find a real flashlight.

When I work up, I could not make calls, but I could check my mail with snapper and surf the web.

When I walked to downtown brooklyn, around 11am, I was able to use the phone fully. Even chatted with my friend again as I was walking over the brooklyn bridge (had to check on mom).

The abttary finally turned red around 4pm as I was headed home from the movies (air conditioning).

The electric was back on by the time I got home.

I need to say this. MY GOD THERE ARE A LOT OF BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN NEW YORK.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    By the light of a Treo, everyone can be beautiful.

Incidentally, I've been using my Treo as a flashlight all summer long so that my husband can go to bed early and won't have to leave a light on. Now that school's back in session and I have to go to bed early too I guess I'll be saving my Treo battery ... until the first hurricane of the season.
    - My treo worked fine as a $300 flashlight during the NYC blackout. The phone (Sprint) was worthless all night Thursday and had spotty service Friday. Nextel and Verizon cell phones were working fairly well since I used them to make calls while I had the "network service not available" cue on my Treo.
    - I was planning on purchasing a Treo 600, but not now. Time to accept the reality that the Treo sucks as a phone and probably will during the next generation (note there's a lack of pre-release publicity regarding "fixing" known Treo 300 phone problems, although plenty of news about the new keyboard design and other such trivia.
    Originally posted by E. G.
    - My treo worked fine as a $300 flashlight during the NYC blackout. The phone (Sprint) was worthless all night Thursday and had spotty service Friday. Nextel and Verizon cell phones were working fairly well since I used them to make calls while I had the "network service not available" cue on my Treo.
    - I was planning on purchasing a Treo 600, but not now. Time to accept the reality that the Treo sucks as a phone and probably will during the next generation (note there's a lack of pre-release publicity regarding "fixing" known Treo 300 phone problems, although plenty of news about the new keyboard design and other such trivia.
    Sounds to me like your issue is with Sprint's network, not the phone. Were other Sprint phones working? Maybe you should consider GSM (my 270 works great), or get the CDMA Treo 600 and use Verizon instead of Sprint.

Dan.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Why did you just discover this?