Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    With number portability coming up I've been thinking about getting the GSM treo 600 wheb it arrives and ditching Sprint.

I know CDMA is faster, but how noticeable is it? I've heard great news from people using t-mobile saying how keeping data on all day doesn't affect the battery on their treo like it does on the 300. True? Or just a myth?

I want the simplicity of a SIM card and also the promise of abluetooth smartphone in the future-- both of which are not available on CDMA carriers.
    I'm using a treo 270 on t-mobile and you are correct - no battery drain with data on all day. In fact I have verichat running all day and unless I'm actively browsing or chatting I use less than 2% of the battery.
    Originally posted by subtex
    With number portability coming up I've been thinking about getting the GSM treo 600 wheb it arrives and ditching Sprint.

I know CDMA is faster, but how noticeable is it? I've heard great news from people using t-mobile saying how keeping data on all day doesn't affect the battery on their treo like it does on the 300. True? Or just a myth?

I want the simplicity of a SIM card and also the promise of abluetooth smartphone in the future-- both of which are not available on CDMA carriers.
    Sprint's CDMA 1xRTT network is much faster than GPRS. T-Mobile's network peaks at around 70k/s and CDMA peaks around 144k/s. Verichat can cause a drain on Vision but not everyone is affected by it. I can leave myself connected to it all day and not suffer from the drain. One of the main causes has been the first firmware update for the Treo 300. I never updated and haven't had any battery issues.

The SIM card is one obvious difference between GSM and GPRS, I'll give you that. It's true that GSM carriers have BT phones, but the GSM Treo 600 won't have BT either. The best bet for BT on a Treo is to wait for someone to release a BT SDIO card that's compatible with Palm OS5.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

...snip...The SIM card is one obvious difference between GSM and GPRS, I'll give you that. ...snip....
    You mean "The SIM card is one obvious difference between GSM and CDMA".

GSM and GPRS go hand-in-hand and have SIM cards. CDMA/1xRTT doesn't have SIM cards.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

You mean "The SIM card is one obvious difference between GSM and CDMA".

GSM and GPRS go hand-in-hand and have SIM cards. CDMA/1xRTT doesn't have SIM cards.
    All attribute that typo to lack or sleep and not paying attention to what I was typing
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

All attribute that typo to lack or sleep and not paying attention to what I was typing
    Oh, you mean you actually need a little thing called sleep?

--Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Oh, you mean you actually need a little thing called sleep?

Not normally, but 17 hours of concerts in 2 days where i had 8 hours of sleep over 3 days, it kinda wears on me.
    What is the difference between Sprint's Vision and anything that T-Mobile (or for that matter AT&T) offer? Do they offer anything that is compatible? If so, is it worth it to ditch Sprint for the 600? I was always told that Vision is better for internet? True?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by robcassman
    What is the difference between Sprint's Vision and anything that T-Mobile (or for that matter AT&T) offer? Do they offer anything that is compatible? If so, is it worth it to ditch Sprint for the 600? I was always told that Vision is better for internet? True?
    Thanks
    The only fundamental difference between Sprint's and T-Mobile's internet offerings is speed. Currently, Sprint's 1xRTT is faster than 2.5G (generation) GPRS.

The 3G GPRS (which has not hit the U.S. market yet) is considerably faster than 1xRTT, but that does you no good at this point. You'd need a new phone to take advantage of it anyway.

EDGE (a GSM technology) is available in limited markets in the U.S. It is considered a 2.75G network, but is currently only offered by Cingular in very limited locations (in and around Ohio, I think) and the Treo 600's radio does not do EDGE.

If you want the fastest internet connection, then go with Sprint. If you want world-wide use, T-Mobile (GSM/GPRS) is the way to go. Both offer unlimited internet capability. Sprint is about twice as fast in real-world data transfer rates.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Okay, so Vision wins on speed, but what about cost? $20/month for unlimited MB on T-Mobile vs. how much for Vision?
    i think vision is $15/ month for new sign-ups. some of us are still on $10.

t-mobile phone service in our area (long island) stinks. we are going to have to spend $200 to cancel my son's account because his phone never works and they could care less... almost never have that problem with sprint, and even less with at&t.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i think vision is $15/ month for new sign-ups. some of us are still on $10.

t-mobile phone service in our area (long island) stinks. we are going to have to spend $200 to cancel my son's account because his phone never works and they could care less... almost never have that problem with sprint, and even less with at&t.
    Yeah, $15 for Vision unless you get a plan with 2000 minutes or more, then it's free for the first phone.