1.    #1  
    I'm curious how other people reacted to this question. My first thought is "Yes, if the price were the same (perhaps even a tiny bit more) I would absolutely buy a Treo 600 from Treocentral. Treocentral (and Visorcentral before it) are an amazing resource, and if we can help them out and get a great price at the same time... I'm all for it and I'll do it in a minute.

However, I do have a few minor concerns. First, what about competition? Right now Amazon.com has a $49.99 (after rebate) Treo 270. This is posted on the Treocentral main page. If this were a Treo 600 (I wish) and Treocentral were still selling the Treo 600 for Sprint, is there still the same incentive to show us the BEST deals?

In short, I think its a good idea. However, I would hope that the folks here at Treocentral will realize that they have our loyalties because they appear to be looking out for the best interests of their subscribers. So long as our best interests and Treocentral's best interests (as a reseller) don't collide, there isn't a problem. However, if the competition has lower prices, I fear we might not see the direct links to those other providers (as we have now).

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by Brianp; 08/08/2003 at 01:25 PM.
    Key issues:

GSM Treo 600 availability here at TeroCentral
    Price
    Warranty--extended warranty/insurance
    Carrier issues ('unlocked' GSM version).
    Originally posted by Brianp
    I'm curious how other people reacted to this question. My first thought is "Yes, if the price were the same (perhaps even a tiny bit more) I would absolutely buy a Treo 600 from Treocentral. Treocentral (and Visorcentral before it) are an amazing resource, and if we can help them out and get a great price at the same time... I'm all for it and I'll do it in a minute.

However, I do have a few minor concerns. First, what about competition? Right now Amazon.com has a $49.99 (after rebate) Treo 300. This is posted on the Treocentral main page. If this were a Treo 600 (I wish) and Treocentral were still selling the Treo 600 for Sprint, is there still the same incentive to show us the BEST deals?

In short, I think its a good idea. However, I would hope that the folks here at Treocentral will realize that they have our loyalties because they appear to be looking out for the best interests of their subscribers. So long as our best interests and Treocentral's best interests (as a reseller) don't collide, there isn't a problem. However, if the competition has lower prices, I fear we might not see the direct links to those other providers (as we have now).

Just my $0.02.
    Amazon is selling the Treo 270 for $49.99 after rebate, not the 300. Obviously whether people would buy from Treocentral or not at least partly depends on the price. If I can save a significant amount of money somewhere else, I'd do that. My main concern will be Handspring's trade-up program where they will give a discount to current Treo owners.
    Of course, this is a free website that provides very valuable information for all of us. While price of the Treo 600 surely will be a consideration in deciding where to buy, perhaps buyers also should consider supporting this website by making the purchase here, even if it's not the absolute lowest price. Would it be worthwhile to pay a bit more if it would help ensure the future availability of TreoCentral.com? Or, is that something most people don't care about?
    Originally posted by DougI
    Of course, this is a free website that provides very valuable information for all of us. While price of the Treo 600 surely will be a consideration in deciding where to buy, perhaps buyers also should consider supporting this website by making the purchase here, even if it's not the absolute lowest price. Would it be worthwhile to pay a bit more if it would help ensure the future availability of TreoCentral.com? Or, is that something most people don't care about?
    Paying "a bit" more is one thing, but say Handspring and TreoCentral both offer the Treo 600 for $499.99, but I can save $100 by doing a trade in deal with Handspring and I'd have to buy it from them. I'd go with Handspring. 10 or 20 bucks isn't a big deal, but $100 is.
  6.    #6  
    I'd have to agree. I'm willing to pay more for a Treo through Treocentral -- but not $100 more. That said, I don't own a Treo at this point and when products are initially released there usually aren't a ton of specials anyway.

The answer to the rhetorical question is yes -- most people do care about the continuing viability of a great site like treocentral.com. However, they don't care enough to fork over $100 extra ;-).
    Do we know for certain that we would have to BUY the Treo 600 from Handspring to get the trade-up discount? Couldn't it be structured like a rebate such that if we can produce proof of purchase and a serial number from a Treo 300 then we could get the discount amount refunded to us?

Then, it would seem, everybody wins.

Just wondering ...
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Do we know for certain that we would have to BUY the Treo 600 from Handspring to get the trade-up discount? Couldn't it be structured like a rebate such that if we can produce proof of purchase and a serial number from a Treo 300 then we could get the discount amount refunded to us?

Then, it would seem, everybody wins.

Just wondering ...
    Handspring has said they would have a trade in program for current Treo owners. That's all we know for sure. The dollar amount and whether you have to give your old one to them is all speculation right now. According to other offers like this that people have gotten in the past, we're guessing the discount could be $50-$100. Also, some people have reported when they traded up from their Visors, they didn't have to send in the phone, just the serial number. If that's the case, we could get the discount, AND sell our old Treos on Ebay and really make out.
    The HS trade-in is an issue. If HS are only prepared to offer a 30-50 for the trade-in and if the actual prices are similar, I would support TreoCentral.... but only if there is the GSM available.
    www.gsmworld.com