1.    #1  
    I am gettign very fond of the jog dial on my Treo 300. One handed operation is a snap. I always have the lanyard hooked to my fingers in case the phone falls out of my hand so I can operate one handed with confidence.

The big question is:

Will the 5 way nav control on the 600 be as good as the jog dial on the 300 in terms of:

1. one hand operation
    2. ease of use with one hand
    3. functionality provided
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    I am gettign very fond of the jog dial on my Treo 300. One handed operation is a snap. I always have the lanyard hooked to my fingers in case the phone falls out of my hand so I can operate one handed with confidence.

The big question is:

Will the 5 way nav control on the 600 be as good as the jog dial on the 300 in terms of:

1. one hand operation
    I've thought about this too. I'm hoping that since the nav control as 5 way and in the middle of the phone instead of the bottom, it can do the trick.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

I've thought about this too. I'm hoping that since the nav control as 5 way and in the middle of the phone instead of the bottom, it can do the trick.
    5 way nav is on just about every cell phone out there. Is the one on the 600 going to be any different? The jog dial is ergonomically in the perfect place for one hand operation. Why did Handspring get rid of it? Did Handspring replace the jog dial with a 5 way nav for marketing reasons? i.e. that's what the general public wants? The camera is another example.
    My guess is that the jog dial was only included because they knew the 2 way nav control was a serious limitation to a cell phone. So they included the jog dial to make up for it. With a 5 way control, the jog dial's not needed anymore since the reason for it is gone. Just a thought, but that could be it. I do like the jog dial, I hope I can get used to the nav control again.
    I think it would replace it beautifully! The current jog rocker is very useful, but a horrible implementation. The new 5-way nav does the same thing, is easier to access and by both hands, bigger, etc. You also get a single purpose volume control, which frees the 5-nav to do its function during calls.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The current jog rocker is very useful, but a horrible implementation.
    I agree with this 100%. A well made jog dial is wonderful, but the one on the Treo is very clumsy. I won't miss it on the Treo 600, but it might have been nice to have if they redid it and made it right.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

The big question is:

1. one hand operation
    A lot of it depends on Handspring's implementation of the D-pad. For all it's usefulness, the original Treo's Jog Rocker didn't do that much more than the regular arrow keys. For example, while you can use the Jog Rocker to push the speed dial buttons in the phone application, you can't use it to navigate to the dial pad or contacts screens or other speed dial screens. Worse yet, you can't use the Jog Rocker to push buttons or change categories in most other applications. Had it been more tightly integrated into the OS, I might be more worried. As it was, I've used third party utilities like PowerJOG to make the Jog Rocker on my Treo more useful.

The D-pad may or may not be better than the Jog Rocker. It has one obvious advantage over the Jog Rocker. When I hold my Treo in my right hand, I operate the Jog Rocker with my middle or index finger but when I hold it in my left hand I operate it with my thumb. With the Treo 600, I would operate a D-Pad with my thumb no matter which hand I hold it in; this should make it easier for me to get used to using the D-pad.

It also appears that Handspring has learned a few things from the Jog Rocker and you will be able to use the D-pad to push buttons without any third party add-ons. So I'm curious to see how well implemented the D-pad will be.
    If it were a jog wheel like Clies and Blackberries have, I'd miss it. It isn't, so I won't.
    I won't miss it. I'm looking forward to the D-pad.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I use the JogDial with PowerJog so it sort of gives me what the 600 will give and that is the ability to select and action controls (such as OK and REPLY and NEW etc).

It's quite nice creating ( via boilerplate) and sending an SMS without ever using the stylus or the keyboard...

But I must admit, the T600 5-way pad does sound cool
    www.gsmworld.com
    I have ring in here - when I played with the 600 at the Sprint User Forum here in Dallas, I was blown away by the implementation of the d-pad and its interaction with the rest of the device. No more power jog.
    You guys will love it and will never miss the jog rocker. The jog was good and needed, based on the design of the phone (flip with clear screen), but changing the design to candy bar style gave HS many more options for screen control, and the d-pad is much better, based on my limited testing. Much better.
    I'm gonna miss it.

Now I have to retrain my thumb to use the d-pad.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.