1.    #1  
    Anyone out there got any insight on phone number portability for cell phone numbers? I got a 300 last year since I already used Sprint and I could keep the my phone number (kids have it, work has it, etc., just too much hassle to change numbers). That was a major factor in the decision to go with the 300 over the 270. With the 600, I'm wondering whether I will be able to keep my phone number if I move to GSM/GPRS, or do I stay with Sprint?

Jeff
    Originally posted by Jeffj
    Anyone out there got any insight on phone number portability for cell phone numbers? I got a 300 last year since I already used Sprint and I could keep the my phone number (kids have it, work has it, etc., just too much hassle to change numbers). That was a major factor in the decision to go with the 300 over the 270. With the 600, I'm wondering whether I will be able to keep my phone number if I move to GSM/GPRS, or do I stay with Sprint?

Jeff
    The whole point of WLNP is to allow you to take your number with you to a different carrier. The date that carriers have to have it ready to go somewhere in late November. If you want a GSM Treo 600 after that date, Sprint has to let you take your phone number with you if you switch to a different carrier.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

The whole point of WLNP is to allow you to take your number with you to a different carrier. The date that carriers have to have it ready to go somewhere in late November. If you want a GSM Treo 600 after that date, Sprint has to let you take your phone number with you if you switch to a different carrier.

But, do they have to let you go for free? I think they can charge you a fee for this.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

But, do they have to let you go for free? I think they can charge you a fee for this.
    That's a pretty good question. I haven't seen anything that mention a fee for taking your number, one way or the other. You would think if Sprint's gonna charge $1.10/mo per line, that would be all the money they need. But it's Sprint, so who knows.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I think they will charge a fee. Verizon got some good press a while back when they stated not only would they fully support the number portability, but they would allow customers to do it for free.

They stressed the 'free' bit like others are not?
    LNP has been in Europe for ages; they might charge a fee but it shouldn't be too much, since I'm sure the FCC would conceder that counter-productive to the spirt of LNP.
    -- Go Illini!
    Here's an article on WLNP it seems as if WLNP will only apply to the top 100 markets. My city is probably 101 .
  8.    #8  
    ImageOne
    Thanks for the article link. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I know that the regulations exist, but large industries have a way of rendering regulations moot. We'll see if WLNP actually becomes a reality.