1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a new Treo 270 after my previous one was stolen. Before that I owned a Treo 180, so I am a long-time Treo user. I charged my new Treo fully before using it, etc.

What I'm noticing is not totally new to me, but it is a bit more extreme this time and I wanted to hear what others have experienced in this regard.

I see wild fluctuations in battery level. The extreme scenario is that the Treo gives warnings about battery level all the way to being EXTREMELY low, until it reaches about 1%... then I'd be using the Treo and it turns itself off. Trying to turn it back on immediately doesn't do anything. If I wait a minute or two, I can then turn it on and see the battery level is at about 6%. I wait a little bit and check the battery level, it keeps going up... at one time it went up all the way to 23%!! Using the Treo a second time till the battery runs out and it shuts itself off is usually it; can't turn it back on till I start charging it.

Has anyone seen such wild fluctuations? Is this expected from chargable batteries? I personally don't think so. I don't recall seeing such nutty behavior from other devices (and phones) with rechargable batteries. Why is the Treo so weird in the battery department?
    Same behavior with my 270. I have just accepted this short coming with a few others. At least my radio has not died, that is, in the last 6 months.....
    My ancient mostly-dumb Nokia (the model number which escapes me) is very strange w.r.t. battery level monitoring. I thought it was due to having the Nokia turned on and sitting in a location in my house that didn't have good signal strength, causing the Nokia to "search" or whatever cell phones do, causing battery drain.

But that wasn't it.

Instead, it simply appears to be some sort of bug in the software that monitors, and unfortunately pays attention to, battery level!

That is...

I can turn off the phone, take the battery off, wait a few seconds, put the battery back on, turn the phone on, and the battery level (correctly) reads Full again!

That's my standard "fix" when the little-used phone beeps at me during a conversation - I hang up, do the above, FIXED!, then re-call!

So, okay, not the best phone around - but at least I can throw it on a concrete surface and it still works! (which I did something like THREE times within the last 7 days - sheesh!)
    I was experiencing the same problem with my 270. I called HS, who determined I had a bad battery. They connected me to T-Mobile, and TMO sent me a replacement phone, which I received yesterday. I'm back in business!

Interesting note: SeldomVisitor mentioned that he has dropped his several times; same here. The last time I dropped mine, it immediately began having "battery" issues. Maybe there's a pattern here. I'm back to being as careful with my 270 as I was when it was new. (Like I should have been all along... )

By the way, I can't remember the key/stylus tap combination that shows you battery stats beyond the battery icon. Does anyone remember?
    Does the Treo give low battery warning?
    Because mine never did, and it'll just shut itself down
    and Recently, it started to shut itself down even when the battery indicator thing looks "FULL"

I called in for a replacement and they'll be sending it to me soon.

I hope the new one doesn't have problem like that, it has caused me gerat truoble in having to lost my contacts before i sync it !
    my third treo had battery drain problem and no reception in my house. first treo no problem with drain or reception.

went away for week and when returned was ok reception and battery. go figure.
    Hmmm... I've just started having battery drain problems - noticed it at 5% yesterday, after I'd just synced (and the battery wasn't particularly low beforehand). When I got home this evening I had about 10%; but my Treo had been attached to my work computer for hours before I left for home.

I haven't dropped my Treo in months.

Wonder what's up.
    By the way, I can't remember the key/stylus tap combination that shows you battery stats beyond the battery icon. Does anyone remember?
    the up button and the stylus placed on the topmost part of the screen
    Thanks jinx! I couldn't remember the key/stylus combination.
    My Treo 300 does the same thing. I'll get a low battery warning, then an extremely low battery warning. I'll shut it off and within a few minutes it'll be back up over 20%.
    flyer, can you make a phone call that lasts for very long? My 270 was only lasting 5 minutes on a call, even after charging all day in my cradle at work.
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    flyer, can you make a phone call that lasts for very long? My 270 was only lasting 5 minutes on a call, even after charging all day in my cradle at work.
    My battery life is pretty close to what it's supposed to be. Between data sessions and voice, I get close to 2 hours on a full battery. It's just annoying that I keep getting low battery alerts and it shows that I only have a 5% charge. Then 10 minutes later it's up to 20%.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

My battery life is pretty close to what it's supposed to be.
    Strange. I guess we are having two really different problems. However, I would have rather had the problem you were having, as I was out of a phone for about a week waiting on TMo to get my replacement to me in the mail. But I sure do like my "new" 270!
    Originally posted by tommygreen

Strange. I guess we are having two really different problems. However, I would have rather had the problem you were having, as I was out of a phone for about a week waiting on TMo to get my replacement to me in the mail. But I sure do like my "new" 270!
    Yeah, sounds like it. I assumed that I didn't have a bad battery, and that it was just one of the Treo's quirks. The longest single call I've had on my Treo when not plugged in has been around an hour, so it's definitely not as bad as the problem you had. Good luck.