1.    #1  
    Stupid question here. When T-Mobile & Sprint give "unlimited" data plans, do their data plans provide (a) a simple TCP/IP connection for the Treo, enabling you simply to surf the web, use your email, or any other TCP/IP program you have installed; or (b) "unlimited" data minutes whereby you can "call" your own dial-up provider, etc.

I guess the question I'm asking is: does one need an internet provider beyond T-Mobile / Sprint in order to access the internet? Perhaps the second seems complicated, but I thought I'd clarify.

Thanks!
    It's (a). You don't need an ISP in either case. T-Mobile's GPRS or Sprint's Vision give you direct access to the internet where you can use any Palm internet program.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks!

I kinda figured that it had to be (a) because anything else would just be stupid. However, I've heard people talk about their "other" ISP, and I wondered if they were just providing a conduit, or if they were providing the access too.

Looking forward to a Treo 600 ;-).

Follow up question: which is better/different/preferable - T-Mobile GPRS or Sprint Vision? I'm sure its been debated to death, but if you had your choice... which do you pick? (both are available in Seattle).
    Originally posted by Brianp
    Follow up question: which is better/different/preferable - T-Mobile GPRS or Sprint Vision? I'm sure its been debated to death, but if you had your choice... which do you pick? (both are available in Seattle).
    This kinda question might ignite a war, but the answer really is...which do you prefer?

Sprint, for instance, has a *far* better digital data network, in terms of speed and performance, but so far the current Treo (300) has had too many problems to really enjoy that. T-Mobile might be pokey, data-wise, by comparison, but their current Treo offering (270) hasn't had nearly the amount of network-related issues that the 300 has.

That being said, I own a 300, and have been using it heavily with Sprint, and have yet to have any major problems after a week of use. Having used GSM/GPRS data connections before (I used to be with AT&T), I can attest that Sprint's network is considerably faster, even when it's bottlenecked on the Treo.

Ultimately, it depends what carrier fits your overall needs better, though. Don't just go by data speeds; T-Mobile is fast enough for current-generation smartphones. But if high-speed (and a lower unlimited rate) appeal to you more, than go with Sprint!