1.    #1  
    I guess it's affectionately called RBOD here, but it is a ROYAL PAIN to me.

I sometimes work in an area that's on fringe coverage of SprintPCS. I have the phone setup to give that little "blip" sound when signal comes in/out, and I hear it fade out and back in occasionally during the day.

Then, I finally realize that I haven't heard the blip in a while, and you guessed it, Red Blink Of Death. Turning Wireless Mode off/on does nothing (Keeps blinking even when wireless mode turned off!). Requires a HARD RESET with the pin in the back to bring it back!!

I thought I would just live with it until they came out with an update to fix it, BUT IT JUST DID IT AGAIN TODAY AND I AM RUNNING THE NEW VERSION 1.21

This happens (no lie) EVERY DAY for me. I have tried wiping everything off the Treo to make sure it wasn't something I was running. Bone Stock it does it.

I can make it happen almost every time by visiting either an elevator or restroom near the middle of one particular building while carrying the phone. The phone loses signal completely in these areas and 1 out of 3 times it DOESN'T COME BACK.

One time it did it, and I thought I would just let it go to see if it would EVER come back, even when I drive home (where I have FULL STRENGTH SIGNAL AT MY HOME). It would do nothing more than just murder the battery, and even in area of 100% signal strength, the red BLINK BLINK BLINK. I reset and full green.

WHO DO I HAVE TO PLEASURE TO GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED?

Originally posted by mk3cn4
    This happens (no lie) EVERY DAY for me. I have tried wiping everything off the Treo to make sure it wasn't something I was running. Bone Stock it does it.
    Same here. I made TreoHelper to alleviate some of it. The upgrade has helped me with RBOD, but I still have to make TH turn off the phone after a few minutes of signal loss or the battery drain is too great

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/

BTW, what is your zip code. Mine is 32127. Maybe we can find something in common amongst the towers.
    Originally posted by mk3cn4
    Requires a HARD RESET with the pin in the back to bring it back!!
    I feel for you, and other than TreoHelper, I don't think there's anything you can do with these kind of Treo quirks. Just to clarify, what you do is not a hard reset, it's a soft reset. A hard reset wipes all the data off the phone. Well, you may be doing a hard reset, but you don't need to be.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Just to clarify, what you do is not a hard reset, it's a soft reset. A hard reset wipes all the data off the phone. Well, you may be doing a hard reset, but you don't need to be.
    Yep, you are right. Soft reset, I don't lose the info on the palm.

For the record, it looks like the new 1.21 prevented my battery from getting eaten this time though.

I wonder how many phones get returned for this problem? I saw in another thread a few minutes ago that someone has had 7 units now. I have had 2 because of this, before I realized that it was a bug common to all Treo 300's.

I would speculate that this is costing Sprint/Handspring Hundreds of thousands of dollars replacing hardware that a patch might fix. I would be happy being able to cycle the wireless mode to reset it, at least then I could do it while driving or whatever without needing to take the case off, opening the stylus to get the tool ready, resetting, booting, bringing up wireless mode, etc etc... its such a pain because it takes such big effort with full attention for several straight minutes. A simple wireless mode off/on toggle would make this at least tolerable.

It is just plain inexcusable for any mobile phone device to have these kinds of difficulties. It shows a complete lack of attention to detail in the R & D and testing from the manufacturer. With as much as they cost, the fundamentals of operation like this should never be an issue.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    It is just plain inexcusable for any mobile phone device to have these kinds of difficulties. It shows a complete lack of attention to detail in the R & D and testing from the manufacturer. With as much as they cost, the fundamentals of operation like this should never be an issue.

-THP
    I don't think we'll see a mass exodus from Sprint until the GSM Treo 600 comes out. I would warn people that the CDMA 600 probably has these same issues, as at least I've convinced myself that it does from the information before me.

Admittedly my evidence is flimsy and consists of my thoughts regarding the radio maker, various screenshots showing 50% battery level, and the current team's inability to recognize and stamp out the current Treo 300 radio bugs. It's something I've learned the hard way about technology, it doesn't fix itself. Never take any performance complaints from others lightly -- and never assume that obvious problems will be found & fixed, without past evidence to back it up.

I'm editing this post because I don't want to blame Handspring. I think Handspring is doing an awesome job at designing and making these devices. If I were to turn off the Treo 300 radio, and judge the merits of the PDA by itself, I would give it a 10/10. It's the radio parts that are screwed up, and I don't know who controls that; whether it is AirPrime, SprintPCS, or Handspring. But I think that this particular combination of companies is a no-go because none of them wants to lead the way to fixing the radio problems.
    Last edited by potatoho; 07/25/2003 at 04:31 PM.
    Hello. Have kind of same problem in Europe. Each time I enter Out of coverage zone (lift, etc.), I get red LED which is normal, but then does not return to Green when back in coverage. It indicates SOS call only. I need to turn Wireless off, then on again with PIN. Strangely enough, this did not happen on my first one which got replaced due to dead screen. Is it GPRS 1.1.1 (vs. non-GPRS before) or what?
    I love my Treo but such kills it for professional use when you must be reachable and have less patience for experimenting. Hopefully, merger with Palm with bring more reliability.
    I am curious to know if the problem (RBOD on Treo 300) you are describing is locale specific. I never see this kind of thing here in California. Where are you?
    I am in London UK, connected to O2 network
    In Laredo, TX, with Sprint, I have the same RBOD problem. It happens when inside buildings, with a weak signal.
    I've had my Treo 300 on Sprint since June and I've gotten the RBOD three times. Two of those times I needed a hard reset after several soft resets failed. I don't have TreoHelper but I've been meaning to get it to prevent more RBOD's. And I'm in Phila, PA.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Used to happen to me quite often in Richmond, VA, until I got Treohelper. Is this a problem with CDMA only, or GSM as well? I'm thinking about switching from Sprint to T-mobile when the 600 comes out.
    I've never had this problem. I am in Kansas, and I have also used my Treo in Texas and Florida. Admittedly, I am not out of the coverage area very often, but still, I've never seen this problem you are describing. I'm on my 3rd Treo now (broke the hinges of the first two).