Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know if the 600 will work on T-mobile ?
    Originally posted by treoman270
    Anyone know if the 600 will work on T-mobile ?
    the gsm version should.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    > the gsm version should.

A closer-to-truth answer would be:

== "A gsm version should."

Wasn't it you who related the email from T-Mobile stating they had no current plans (that is, no plans) to carry the TREO 600?
    Yes Seldom, it was me he related the phone message that was left to me.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > the gsm version should.

A closer-to-truth answer would be:

== "A gsm version should."

Wasn't it you who related the email from T-Mobile stating they had no current plans (that is, no plans) to carry the TREO 600?
    It does not matter if T-Mobile carries the Treo 600 or not.

The first CDMA version to be released will be branded for Sprint. The second TREO released will be GSM for Orange in Europe.

According to Handspring reports, about one month later, a generic unlocked GSM version will be released. It will work with any SIM chip.

Since the generic GSM version will run on GSM at 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 mhz, it will be a true world phone. In the USA it should work with T-Mobile, Cingular, and AT&T.
    Originally posted by freudov23
    I met with a regional corporate sales manager today and was informed that the Treo 600 would indeed be available through T-Mobile in mid October. He mentioned that he may be able to get one to me earlier. Oh baby!
    Did he tell you anything about price or upgrade path?
    Originally posted by freudov23
    He did not mention any specifics related to pricing, but I plan to dig a little deeper when we speak again early next week.
    We'll be waiting with bated breath.
    I am definitely going with the Treo 600 GSM and have only been trying to decide whether to go with AT&T or T-Mobile in San Francisco. After hearing so many positive recommendations for T-Mobile by members on this forum, I'm leaning strongly towards T-Mobile. It seems that their price plans are better too.

Any AT&T supporters here care to add their $0.02?

Thanks!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Thanks freudov23!

Can someone please help me answer the following additional questions about T-Mobile?

1) Does T-Mobile really having roaming agreements with Cingular and AT&T?

2) If I get a National Plan for $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes, do I then need to add an additional $29.99 for unlimited Internet? (Total $69.98/month)

3) T-Mobile's GSM network is far superior to AT&T's? Is this in regards to speed, reliability, or what?

Thanks!
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by RayUSA

Can someone please help me answer the following additional questions about T-Mobile?

1) Does T-Mobile really having roaming agreements with Cingular and AT&T?

2) If I get a National Plan for $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes, do I then need to add an additional $29.99 for unlimited Internet? (Total $69.98/month)

3) T-Mobile's GSM network is far superior to AT&T's? Is this in regards to speed, reliability, or what?

Thanks!
    1) Roaming agreements do exist with both AT&T and Cingular, but in select markets only and only when a T-Mobiile signal does not existist at all. I recommend you check out the T-Mobile forum on the www.howardchui.com site. This is a great mobile phone site and discussion forum

2) You would have to add the unlimited Iternet plan, but for voice cuustomers it is only $19.99

3) T-Mobile is more established ad is the oldest and largest GSM network i the US. My experience has been that they have better coverage, better reliablity and establiished global roaming agreemets with foreign GSM providers. Additionally, T-Mobile's parent compay Deutch Telekom (sp?) is the largest GSM provider worldwide.

I hope this helps!
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    I have been an AT&T GSM customer here in Denver for a year and where I do get signal, it is of course very good. However, it is my understanding that they did an overlay of their older TDMA service area by using existing tower locations for the new GSM equipment. Accordingly, there are a lot of gaps between cell sites around town. The towers were not mapped out and sited as properly as T-Mobile's were by starting from scratch with GSM several years earlier. The geographic reach and spread of each cell site for GSM is different than for the earlier TDMA digital layout. I was told by one of their reps that they are hindered by limited band width licensing restrictions. Apparently, T-Mobile has a majority claim to the 1900 mhz signal. AT&T has been adding 850 mhz and 1900 mhz and will utilize multi-band devices for use on their North American network. Apparently, 850 mhz does better penetrating buildings, etc. This rep also intimated that a future merger wth T-Mobile would make sense though I can hardly place much faith in such a rumor. Bottom line for me is that I have been very frustrated at the number of dropped calls here in Denver with AT&T but I stay with them for now due to my unlimited voice plan.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Does T-Mobile really having roaming agreements with Cingular and AT&T?
    It is my understanding that anywhere in the country that you can get a VOICE signal on T-Mobile (Regardless of Carrier source), the minutes are taken from your plan without roaming charges. For the DATA service usage, I believe that your signal must be from a T-Mobile owned tower or you will be charged roaming if the signal comes from one of their partners. If you review the fine print with any store rep, they will verify this.

-THP
    As big as they are, I find it a little strange that AT&T has not done more to improve their current GSM network. They have the money don't they? Their plans are more expensive than T-Mobile's too.

Anyway, I'm on Sprint now and I get way too many dropped signals and customer service is horrible. I'm just waiting for the Treo 600 to come out so I can change my service.

Thanks for the info guys! It has all been very helpful.
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    BTW, T-Mobile CS has always been good based on my experience. Of course I have gotten one or two reps who were not 100% kowledgable about plans, but overall my experience has been very positive.

The one thing on T-Mobile is if you complain about anything they like to credit you with extra minutes. Better than nothing.....
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    There is a Japanese Telecommunications firm (Docomo?) that has been financing much of AT&T's venture into GSM. One would assume a very aggressive strategy on their part to catch up to the capabilities of the other networks. A lot of folks don't realize that AT&T Wireless was entirely spun off from the parent corporation back in 2001. The new stand-alone wireless company only licenses the logo and the familiar name. They get a lot of marketing mileage out of their century old name recognition familiarity. I wouldn't count them out but I would love to see a total GSM merger between Cingular, AT&T, & T-Mobile.

You could call the new network something like "AT-Mobile!"

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 09/07/2003 at 04:53 PM.
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    The one thing on T-Mobile is if you complain about anything they like to credit you with extra minutes. Better than nothing.....
    Yes, they do seem very aggressive and committed to retaining their subscriber base.

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 09/07/2003 at 05:30 PM.
    > ...they do seem very aggressive and committed to retaining
    > their subscriber base...

-- http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/04/tech...nica/index.htm
    Viva la competition!

That being said however, I predict that within a year following cell number portability, we could see major merger consolidations between all 6 major carriers along the lines of the 2 main technology standards. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cingular, AT&T, & T-Mobile become 1 super GSM provider and I wouldn't be surprised to see Verizon swallow up Sprint and Nextel to become 1 super CDMA provider. All of this is pure speculation on my part of course.

Who knows what would be best for us end users?

-THP
    While I agree with you and think after Novermber wireless companies will consolidate, it may be difficult for Verizon to swallow Nextel because it runs TDMA not CDMA(Verizon). These mergers may make service and coverage maps better, but usually drive prices up without competition. Competition is usually good and keeps prices down.

I would like to see Tmo using all of ATT coverage areas with the unlimited data plans.
    Originally posted by jakilw
    ... it may be difficult for Verizon to swallow Nextel because it runs TDMA not CDMA(Verizon).
    Are you absolutely sure that Nextel runs on TDMA? I could be mistaken but I thought it uses the CDMA standard. No point to debate really. It either does or doesn't. If so, I stand corrected. Does anyone else know of this?

-THP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast