1.    #1  
    Have you guys read this?

http://www.brighthand.com/article/So...held_on_Friday
    http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sho...threadid=20221

Of course, there isn't any info to confirm if this new device will include gprs, cdma or wif...but the possibilty is interesting IMO! If I had to guess from the looks of that prototype, I think it's not unreasonable to guess an integrated gsm/gprs or cdma device. The prototype looks like it might have a swiveling screen with a hidden thumbboard, perfect for IM-ing and email. It could we be Sony's 1st foray for a clie-smartphone device...separate from its Sony-Ericcson line. If true, I think this would definitely be an interesting alternative to the Treo 600...

Of course we'll just have to wait until Friday to find out! Any thoughts?
    Looks nice. If they manage to put a phone in there and you can use it without an earpiece, I'd consider buying it.
    I've always thought that Sony can become a huge factor in the converged phone market if they chose to and I was wondering when (not if) they'll join. This is VERY exciting. With their Clie experience behind them, I'd love to see how a Sony palm-based phone would be. If they get on a roll similar to their Clie flood of models, I'd say Palm+Handspring will be in very big trouble.
    looks as if you will have to unfold to answer, and whatz up with that GAINT cigar style hinge !!

I'm waiting on the 600.
    For what it's worth there is no evidence (other than speculation) the new device will take the form depicted in those pictures.
  6. purpleX
    this is totally unexpected.

ramification:

-if it is a fullblown PDA using POS with 3 wireless capabilities.

there goes: all current PPC PE, treo600, and the entire treo line in fact. It will kill treo without mercy. It will also kill instantly all 2k2 PPCPE, and half kill 2k3.

-if it is just Palmphone. It will kill treo, and all PPC PE 2k2 phones, and mildly affect 2k3. But it will however kill MS smartphone in its current models.

Some related news, SonyEriccson just recently decides to pull out of US cdma. Their phone venture is also in very deep trouble tho' they say they are still committed.

there is also no FCC leak of this Sony phone, which is very strange.

--------
    I speculate however it will be just a Sony PDA with WiFi/BT capability.
    Originally posted by purpleX

That's a good bet, though perhaps a bit too much. It may be one or the other.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by purpleX

there is also no FCC leak of this Sony phone, which is very strange.
    Also, remember that the FCC hasn't even reported on the Treo 600 yet?! If this indeed is a smartphone, it may be b/c Sony hasn't chosen a radio module yet (Similar to HS situation until recently). Also, many of these FCC filings are sealed as well...

You're probably right about that...There's also quote that says this will be "the latest chapter of the Clie handheld" inferring this device is probably more pda than phone. Ahh, but what if...