Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I'm a IMAP person (don't try to sway me to use something that is only POP <g>) - but there isn't an IMAP program out there that I like except Multi-Mail, and while it is archaic and somewhat slow, it has more features than anything else I've found (and I think I've tried them all - believe me).

So, until the perfect IMAP solution comes around, I'm looking for a POP3 Notification program for the Treo - something that just "polls" the mailbox to see if there is is any new mail, and if so lets me know - the "poll" is about all Multi-Mail doesn't do that I really want. But if I were at least notified that I have new mail, I could go sync.

I'm a T-Mobile user, and I see that T-Mobile has some kind of an email service offered, but I don't know if it's what I need. All I really want is just a POP3 notification. Any ideas?

Right now I'm running a beta of Basejet on the Treo, and it seems that if I tell it the desktop will push mail I get notifications, and if I have to stick with that, then okay - but it would be nice to have a little, lean, notification program that doesn't take up a lot of space. (By the way, Basejet and 2bAnywhere both have great promise for IMAP users, but they also both need some "work" - but that's what beta's all about, right <g>).

Thanks.

Danita
    As a T-mobile user, just use their "T-Zone" settings, enter the email address you want it to check, and have it send you an SMS alert when new mail arrives.
    This works fine on my 270, and I haven't missed an email yet...
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Thanks - after I posted before I started poking around the T-Mobile site - am setting it up now to see how it works.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Well, I set up my alerts quite awhile ago, and have received email since then (I tried patiently not to read it at my desktop to test the alerts, but I gave up and read it).

Does anyone know the time interval T-Mobile uses to check for email?

Thanks.

Danita
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    I'm a IMAP person (don't try to sway me to use something that is only POP <g>) - but there isn't an IMAP program out there that I like except Multi-Mail, and while it is archaic and somewhat slow, it has more features than anything else I've found (and I think I've tried them all - believe me).
    It's kindof a stretch but I use IMAP with an email client that I maintain. It's a derivative of Palm's 3.5 Mail but it links together with my gnugotmail POP3 & SMTP application. The limited IMAP support comes through a generic interface I call httpop. This is where you write a server-side script (run via web server) to retrieve messages from your mailbox and send the messages back in a quasi-POP format.

Currently I use PHP because it has native IMAP support and so it makes the script really simple. Yes, it's overly complex, but in the end it is great because you can change the server-side behavior in any way you need.

I converted Palm's Mail application over to prc-tools/multilink to facilitate my changes. It's pretty easy to work on now.

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho

It's kindof a stretch but I use IMAP with an email client that I maintain.
    Yeah - that might be overkill for me.

I'm not so happy with the T-Mobile stuff - it notifies me of every message, rather than just telling me I have "new mail" - don't know if I'll ever get that.

Danita
    I'm not so happy with the T-Mobile stuff - it notifies me of every message, rather than just telling me I have "new mail" - don't know if I'll ever get that.
    I use a server script to send out my SMS. Yeah there must be some free service somewhere which can do the same thing, just check at intervals to see if a mailbox has new stuff and send a dummy SMS.

I dunno, the more I think about it, the less I want to give my email password out to some weirdo site.
    How about Papi-Mail:

http://www.ses-soft.com/papi/PaPi-Mail/

I'm an IMAP user myself and after some investigation, it seemed the most affordable.

-niyogi
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by niyogi
    How about Papi-Mail:

http://www.ses-soft.com/papi/PaPi-Mail/

I'm an IMAP user myself and after some investigation, it seemed the most affordable.

-niyogi
    I tried it - just doesn't have some features I need.

Danita
    My t-mobile alerts generally come in with an hour after teh email arrives, sometimes much sooner but I don't think ever later.

Well, I set up my alerts quite awhile ago, and have received email since then (I tried patiently not to read it at my desktop to test the alerts, but I gave up and read it).

Does anyone know the time interval T-Mobile uses to check for email?

Thanks.

Danita