1.    #1  
    I read this article about Dell's new PDA, "SmartPhone," and some ideas are intriguing ("The next generation Axim will allow users to switch between Wi-Fi networks and CDMA or GSM networks, and will likely support 802.11g, which offers backward compatibility with 802.11b and speeds of up to 31Mbps").

Anyhow....
    m00se

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/26/HNaxim_1.html
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    i always take dell seriously with their history, but right now just looks like some very preliminary info. i will look forward to seeing if dell can design something really cool in the smartphone area.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i always take dell seriously with their history, but right now just looks like some very preliminary info. i will look forward to seeing if dell can design something really cool in the smartphone area.
    Design is not Dell's arena. I would be surprised at anything cutting edge.
  4. purpleX
    Do you think Dell can match that Handspring 'design by comitte' ugliness?

Well at least Dell usually put an everyman price tag.
    You are not helping this thread by flaming Handspring. Please try to discuss things in a constructive manner.

I don't expect Dell to have a very good design either. For example look at the current axim compared to the HP 2200. And i have heard rumors that this kind of product might only be sold through enterprise channels in large amounts bundled with server software. (I think i got that from brighthand). Therefore the price will probably not be very subsidized by carriers, and overal it will seem very expensive.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  6. purpleX
    okay, I am sorry, Handpring has the best smartphone design in the world, as oppose to gray plastic made by Dell. I'll try to remember that when I look at treo 600.

Anyway, we all heard rumors. Let's look what has happened. When X5 comes out everybody says it'll be doomed to failure because Dell has no retail channel and will only appeal to enterprise to bundling.

ce'st voila.

6% market share in first quarter of product launch, something that even dell doesn't anticipate. They were limping along trying to satisfy demand in the first few weeks of sale.

And now we are talking about Dell that has gain little experiance in handheld making and selling. Wanna bet Dell will decimate whatever enterprise account Handspring has in the first 2 months after they launch their wireless products in the US? what wireless service provider doesn't want big fat enterprise account Dell will bring to them if they carry Dell product?

whatever deal Palm inc can give, Dell can math and top it.

Can Palm survive if Dell start selling a copy of Samsung sgh i700 for sub $300? How about Smartphones for $99?

Orange can punch the british market with half hearted attempt and dump 80K devices/Q. I don't think Dell is so incompetent that they can't even do half that number in the market the size of US.

so, let the dice roll see who will come out ahead.
    Originally posted by miradu
    I don't expect Dell to have a very good design either. For example look at the current axim compared to the HP 2200. And i have heard rumors that this kind of product might only be sold through enterprise channels in large amounts bundled with server software. (I think i got that from brighthand). Therefore the price will probably not be very subsidized by carriers, and overal it will seem very expensive.
    Am I the only one here that likes the Dell Axim design, I really enjoyed the Axim X5 while I owned it. Although it has a reputation for being a brick, in my experience it was much more pleasant to carry and extremely functional with its high res. screen, dual expansion slots and high capacity battery that was user replaceable (exchangeable).

Although it wasn't the shiniest marble in the marble sac, it was perhaps one of the most used. There is allot more to good design than eye appeal. What about functionality or usability?

Right now I'm looking forward to the Treo 600, but would definetely consider a Smartphone from Dell depending on its final specs.

I own two dell desktops, a laptop and was a former Axim user, any phone/pda combo from Dell would be worth a look, maybe two.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 07/11/2003 at 08:11 PM.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Duplicate Deleted
    Last edited by Prismatic; 07/11/2003 at 08:11 PM.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by m00se
    [B]The next generation Axim will allow users to switch between Wi-Fi networks and CDMA or GSM networks

m00se
    Hey m00se,

Will network standard switching be Axim or network specific?

I know the GSM Association have been fostering interstandard roaming (GSM-CDMA) for over a year and I believe SK Telekom and Korean Telecom have already adopted the standard.

Just wondering if a special phone is needed...
    www.gsmworld.com