Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Yes, I would have to sign a year's contract with T-Mobile, but that's OK. I wasn't going to get the Sprint version, as I only want a GSM phone. My current contract with T-Mobile has run out, but I like their service and with theire new unlimited GPRS plan, it's just great. In this case, I'd have 2 serial numbers to upgrade to a GSM 600 with once it comes out. It seems to me that the only inconvenience for me would be having to change my number.

Does anyone see other problems?
    Last edited by silverado; 07/07/2003 at 03:27 PM.
    You may not have to change your number. T-Moble may be able to de-activate your old SIM card, and assign the new SIM card your old number. Call their tech support and see if they can do that.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by DHAnderson
    You may not have to change your number. T-Moble may be able to de-activate your old SIM card, and assign the new SIM card your old number. Call their tech support and see if they can do that.
    I called and they said that they wouldn't transfer me. They even said that I can't get this deal because it's for new customers only. I gave him the same grief regarding treating new customers better than old ones, etc, but that didn't help. I read the fine print for both rebates after I hung upand it said nothing about having to be a new customer, just a new number. They also said nothing about canceling existing numbers interfering with the deal. I think I'll just disconnect and get a new number.
    Silverado,
    Sorry to hear it. I can only imagine how it feels.

To all,
    Let this be a warning/learning opportunity to people. As someone who has extensively travelled around the world, I have found Europe to be inundated with pickpockets and petty crimes.
    This is ESPECIALLY true in Paris, Amsterdam, as well as othjer cities.

WATCH OUT - No one has your back.
    The lax police attitude and enforcement encourages this behavior. Be careful out there!
    I've been using LockMe, a FREE app, which automatically locks your Palm/Treo device at user-defined intervals. Works GREAT on my Treo 180g. You can d/l it from PalmGear.

Alan (drooling over my future Treo 600)
  6. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mikec

To all,
    Let this be a warning/learning opportunity to people. As someone who has extensively travelled around the world, I have found Europe to be inundated with pickpockets and petty crimes.
    This is ESPECIALLY true in Paris, Amsterdam, as well as othjer cities.

WATCH OUT - No one has your back.
    The lax police attitude and enforcement encourages this behavior. Be careful out there!
    Well, I have travelled extensively in Europe, too (was born there), and spent 4+ weeks in Paris. Always was careful, never had a problem. I use the same approach here.

In fact, the only street robbery of any sort I ever witnessed was outside the Greyhound station in downtown Los Angeles (guy ripped a necklace off a woman's neck and ran away).

Not sure I understand (or agree) with your lax police attitude and enforcement comment either -- have you not seen the black-clad groups of police roaming Paris and its subway? Sure, they may not have a Rampart Division there, and they don't employ the Oakland Riders, but still... ;-)

My advice would be to be careful wherever you are, whether it's Paris, Los Angeles, New York, or Cabo San Lucas. Especially if you "store your life" (tm) in your Palm/Treo/PPC...
  7.    #27  
    Here is my personal experience. I have used Boston's "T" for 11 years, the London "Tube" for two continuous months and the Paris "Metro" for a total of 9 days, all regularly. The only place I have ever been pickpocketed was the Paris Metro.

Also, when I went to report my Treo theft to the Paris police, they told me that pickpocketing on the Metro is rampant. I have seen no police on the Paris Metro trains or stations, have seen some in London stations and see them more frequently on stations and trains in Boston.

I have never heard public warnings or anecdotes of pickpocketing in Boston, but have heard public warnings in London and both in Paris.

Draw your own conclusions based on all the evidence you hear. I'm sure it is always wise to be on your guard in crowded, public places.
    At the risk of getting off topic, one reason it may appear worse in Europe is Americans look sorely out of place and therefore are more likely to be targets (the longer it takes to describe what has happened, the better).
  9. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    At the risk of getting off topic, one reason it may appear worse in Europe is Americans look sorely out of place and therefore are more likely to be targets
    I think tourists -- to the expert (pickpocket) -- stick out no matter what their nationality. They often wear different clothes, talk differently, behave differently, and many times display such give-aways like maps or cameras ;-)

When I roamed Paris for a month, I usually had nothing but my Treo (eh, Palm), my wallet and a tiny foldable map with me. Oh, and a newspaper... tourists don't typically carry newspapers or read them on the train/platform. I use the same approach in other big cities with crowded areas.

(of course, you don't always have the option of travelling light).

In any case, my condolences to Silverado for the loss of his Treo. Hopefully the thug will care more about the hardware than the data on the device.
    Originally posted by ocs

I think tourists -- to the expert (pickpocket) -- stick out no matter what their nationality. They often wear different clothes, talk differently, behave differently, and many times display such give-aways like maps or cameras ;-)
    That's true.
  11.    #31  
    Well, I'm back in Boston after my long European trip and got my hands on my $69.99 Amazon Treo 270. You better believe that the first thing I added after resynching all my apps and data back onto it was a security app. I tried a few and settled on pAutoLock. It is simple and works. Allows locking after a set amount of time of inactivity and after a reset. It's working without problems so far. I urge everyone to use it or something similar.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/24/2003 at 03:38 PM.
    This may be a stupid question, but does pAutoLock follow the unlock function in the main security app? (which I've never used in any of my 6 to 7 years of palm use). Meaning - the password I put in the Security app is what I'll need to enter once/if pAutolock requires a password?
    Just checking....
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    This may be a stupid question, but does pAutoLock follow the unlock function in the main security app? (which I've never used in any of my 6 to 7 years of palm use). Meaning - the password I put in the Security app is what I'll need to enter once/if pAutolock requires a password?
    Just checking....
    Yes, you set your password in the security app, then use pAutoLock. All the later does is lock the device using the standard Security app locking mechanism. To unlock, you enter that password. You also set your Owner information in Prefs, and that gets displayed when the device is locked. That way if someone wants to get in touch with you to return your locked device to you, they'd know how to get a hold of you.
    My Treo 300 was stolen Saturday at the grocery store. It was in my shopping cart, and I only turned around for a second to pick out fruit.

And yes, I called the phone as soon as I got home, but no answer- So I sent the phone a text message with my home number indicating I wanted the phone back. Immediately after that I had Sprint suspend service to the phone.

Believe it or not, on Sunday I got a call with a "Blocked" caller ID. Some lady said her kid accidentially picked the phone up, and she agreed to return it, IF THERE WAS A REWARD. When I said I would appreciate the phone being return to the grocery store, but there was no reward, she got very unhappy. "If it is important to you, you should pay me a reward!."

Not going to happen. I got the insurance and a new phone arrived today. While I have changed any passwords I think might be compromised, I would have really like to be able to send a "LOCK" SMS like I can with my Sanyo 4900...
  15. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    If her kid stole the Treo, I would have agreed to the deal, then shown up with a cop (or Vinnie and Guido) at the agreed-upon place, and collected my phone without paying the reward.
    Originally posted by ocs
    If her kid stole the Treo, I would have agreed to the deal, then shown up with a cop (or Vinnie and Guido) at the agreed-upon place, and collected my phone without paying the reward.
    Yes, what's up with someone requiring a reward for a device that they should never have taken? Sounds like blackmail and/or theft. The nerve of some people.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The correct response in that situation is to politely ask how much she would like, then tell her that may be a little too high and you'll think about it before you meet. Then you go and meet her and ask again. If she is insistent you tell her fine and reach for your wallet. Stop mid-movement and ask her to see the Treo. Once she brings it out you look beyond her and scream...
    "What the!?!?!?" Grab the Treo and run. If she makes a scene, which she won't, you offer to call the police right there and she can complain to them about how you "stole" her Treo.

If all that fails you do exactly as Doom would...
    "Woman, if you do not unhand Doom's personal property you are going to RUE this day!"
    Use of the word "rue" terrifies the average thief.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by wilme2

While I have changed any passwords I think might be compromised, I would have really like to be able to send a "LOCK" SMS like I can with my Sanyo 4900...
    I use mSafe and it does exactly that... send an SMS with mSafe Lock <your_password> and your phone is locked

And when it's stolen or lost, you can lock it really fast because you don't need another phone - just use any web based SMS service from an Internet Cafe.

It will even lock your phone if someone removes your SIM card or if wireless mode is turned off.

This obviously doesn't get back your Treo but it will protect your data
    www.gsmworld.com
    Unfortunately this doesn't work with the 300. Or at least it didn't the last time I emailed them.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Unfortunately this doesn't work with the 300. Or at least it didn't the last time I emailed them.
    Hi Kurt,

Bummer

Oh well, the thread starter will be safe in the knowledge that their 270 is supported.
    www.gsmworld.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast