Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Until I installed Quickword Pro on my TREO 300 a couple months ago, I had not experienced a fatal exception, or, the resulting flashing reset loop. The first time this happened was one day into a 10 day trip 2000 miles from the office, and my desktop to resync to. That was special. I'd really like a word proc, and thought QW was good since it came with Snappermail.
    I;ve been told that QW is not a buggy app, however...perhaps it doesn't like another app I have...which are very few: Splashphoto; Diddlebug; Snappermail: a shopper list thing...
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled QW, but still, the FATAL events always happen suspiciously soon after using QW. THEN, I've been told to try a warm reset to identify and delete the problem app...this procedure (warm reset) has never worked. Am I doing something wrong? It isn't a complicated procedure, it just doesn't accomplish the "warm reset". The fact alone that the warm reset doesn't work ought to point to something...yes?
    Any wisdom here would be much appreciated, meanwhile, I must again to a hard reset, and resync when back at the office.
    Paul
    Are you saying that the warm reset process is not going on at all?

One thing to remember about warm resets is that they're a little bugging within themselves. Always do a soft reset right after a warm reset. See if that helps.

Also Quickword may have some Treo issues. The last version I tried didn't recognize the list key on my Treo90 with OS 4. It's a shame, as quickword is a really great program for those who have SD cards.

Unfortunately QuickWord is about it if you're trying to open Word docs. If you'd settle for a doc editor, QED is great and you can send your docs via snappermail. Of course, the recipient must have doc software on their PC or PDA to open them.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'm not familar with QED...I would like a word proc compatible with WORD on my desktop, which of course Quickword is...however, I'm going to delete it for now since I do believe something about QW is the culprit on my 300.
    Regarding the warm reset, when I'm experiencing a flashing Palm logo screen reset loop, (a condition which occured after I had pressed the back reset button in order to clear a locked up fatal exception soon after using QW) I have been told that I could perform a "warm reset" by holding the page up button while pressing the back reset button, and that doing so would A) allow me to escape the loop; and B) somehow identify the app hook which is causing the loop, and delete it. This sounded good, but its never worked for me...when the screen is flashing, and I press the page up button, all it does is slows down the speed of the flashing screen about 50%, then I press the reset button and it looks like its going to reset, but it just comes back to the slow flashing screen, until I release the page up button, and then it returns to normal speed flashing...and I proceed to the undesirable inevitable hard reset.
    Sorry this is so wordy, and thanks for any help.
    Paul
    Paul,

Try holding the PageUp button, push the pin in and pull it out, release the PageUp button AFTER the Logo appears. See if that works.

QED is the oldest, fastest working and probably the most stable palm text app. It's only about 50K and can compress your docs by 50%, making a lot more room on your Treo. It has an unlimited trail period and is fully functional. (However, if you do like it, please support the app.) It has an editor (which I think is free) called QEX for your desktop. I haven't used it, as I'm on Mac and use a similar app called MacPalmDoc as a text editor on my desktop. I've tried a half dozen word apps and have even tried to write a few myself. I keep coming back to QED.

I copy and paste from MacPalmDoc to Word on my desktop. Not ideal, but the speed of QED and the fact that it doesn't lose my documents are the most important things to me.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the info on QED...I've downloaded it, however, it isn't free...it was 17.95 from palmgear, which I dont mind at all if it works and doesnt crash my treo...but also, it says the developer must send me an unlock code which can take up to 48 hours to receive...very strange.
    Anyway, about the warm reset, if I face the loop reset again, I'll try again what you're suggesting, but I'm certain I've tried it every way possible...releasing the page up button when the logo screen appears, or when the blue screen appears, thinking nice thoughts before proceeding...the warm reset just doesn't happen. As I described before, I hold the page up, press the back reset, wait for the screen to appear, then release the page up, and regardless of when I release page up, after pressing the reset, the screen just returns to a slow flash of the palm logo. I should try prayer and fasting next time, but I hope I dont face it again having deleted QW. Thanks, Paul
    Paul,

Guess I should have mentioned to download from the author's site at http://www.qland.de/qed/index.htm.

I don't think the version on his site needs an unlock code. You can also download QEX here. Palmgear requires developers to make special versions of their apps for the Palmgear site. Author sites tend to have less nonsense.

As you've said, it might be best to remove QuickWord and see if the problem goes away. You'll find QED quite rudimentary, but very easy to use due to it's speed, especially with large docs. I found that I actually saved space by using QED instead of QW or WordSmith, even when I moved files back to my Treo from the SD. QW and WS are massive apps.

I'm a writer so I use QED a lot. You also may find that CorrectHack is a good investment (automatic shortcuts from abbreviations) and the freeware desk accessory ToUpper is a very nice word case manager.