1.    #1  
    Well this little problem is going to be a doozi. I have been having problems with my 180 not recognizing the sim card. Frequently for seemingly no reason I would get the error message "check your sim card..." so today when it happened I opened the door and started investigating. First I gently pryed the contacts up to be sure of a good connection, but didn't help, then I notice that the little black dongle mounted beside the contacts is loose. Further investigation found that it was barely on, then a slight touch and it was no longer on. Do you guys have any idea what this little thing does, it is a little metal covered box with a black tab sticking out of the left side, looks like a switch of some kind. If it is a switch, any idea what points I can connect to bypass it? I have had this 180 exactly 1 year as of June 12th, so I am guessing HS won't even care to talk to me about it. Any suggestions? I really don't want to buy a new 180 or 270 on the eve of 600, especially since I guess these models will be dirt cheap in the comming months. Thanks in advance.
    TD
    Hi Tourdewolf,

You are correct, it is a switch. When the black tab is in the down position, there is obviously a SIM card installed. In the up position, no card is installed.

You can either solder it back on or take a piece of thin wire and bridge two of the contacts to bypass the switch (I believe the left two contacts should do the trick) - you will still need to do a soldering job so may as well put the original switch back in there.

Hope this helps...
    www.gsmworld.com
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. You are right, upon closer inspection it seems the little tab the operate the switch is broken, that is probably the reason for the intermittent nature of the problem. It also looks like there are 4 contact points and I am not sure which I need to connect. I took the switch apart but can't tell where the contacts are (very small). I will try to get a stronger magnifying glass today. It looks like the schematic drawn on the pcb show the connection to nee all 4 (at R107) but I am not an electronics tech so I could be completely wrong. Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks,
    TD
    Originally posted by Tourdewolf
    It looks like the schematic drawn on the pcb show the connection to nee all 4 (at R107) but I am not an electronics tech so I could be completely wrong. Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks,
    TD
    I'm not 100% sure of the contact order but you could just do trial and error - saying this, not sure of the implications due to shorting of the switches.

I believe two contacts are the switch to say [a SIM is installed] - the black tab down.

The other two contacts are also a switch to trigger the message "Please check your SIM card to see if it damaged or missing." - the black tab up.

Note: The switch down simply completes a circuit so the SIM is queried. If no SIM is installed and the switch is down, you will still receive the "Please check your SIM...." because the SIM cannot be queried.

I'll take the switch off my spare parts 180 tonight and 'play'.

Let you know
    www.gsmworld.com
    Hi there,

I've been having the same problem. Every couple of days or so, I make a call and get the error message. If I turn wireless off then on it goes away.
    I just examined the black switch on my Treo - there is no sign of damage. Just for good measure, I have fixed it into permanent down (on) mode with a bit of blu-tack. Turning on the radio without the sim in results in the same error message - so the error message is clearly not simply dependant on the switch.

My hypothesis is that the contacts on my SIM are simply worn. The sim holder is not tight and does allow a deal of movement. There are signs of wear on the SIM card. I'm getting a new card (getting away from O2 at last) next week - so should be able to see if things improve.

Roll on the 600!
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon

My hypothesis is that the contacts on my SIM are simply worn.
    Quick test: try a friends SIM.
    www.gsmworld.com
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for your help.
    TD
    thanks for the suggestion NZMOKO

-Quick test: try a friends SIM.

Unfortunately this problem only happens every couple of days or so. This means the test would not be quick.

As I mentioned, I will have a new SIM in a week or so - so then I will be able to do a slow test.

I'll report back.