1.    #1  
    Had this notion the other day, thought I might toss it out and get some feedback. While those who migrate from a PDA to a Treo already know how useful many of the applications can be in everyday life, I think many of the customers HS/Palm is trying to reach do not. They may have used basic scheduling programs in a more advanced phone, maybe even played some games, but have not seen the breadth and depth of aps for almost anything imaginable that run on the Palm OS. Therefore, I think it might be worthwhile for HS and the carriers to work out an agreement with a provider, or some of the developers, so that someone purchasing a Treo can select a few applications from a list of say 30-50 that will be included with the purchase. If the customer is buying the device in the store, the store can load them on the Treo right there, maybe use this as an opportunity to familiarize the customer with the hotsync procedure. If it is being delivered to the person's home, or business, the device will arrive with the selected aps already installed.

I would make the aps on the list things most people will use. Obviously the major office suites would be good choices for the list, as would some premium games and some books, but I am thinking some applications like an auto mileage and service record program, some of the food/exercise diary aps, just things people would use, but might not think about how a converged device could help.

Actually, I think the best way may be to assign points to the programs, where the more robust and expensive programs have higher point values and the smaller, less expensive, aps have smaller point values and the customer has an allotted number of points to "spend" on programs.

Just some thoughts.

Gargoyle
    I don't really see that happening simply because you are exposing complications Handspring is trying to minimize in making their next Treo more phone-like. Saying "look how phone like this is" in one breath and "which of the 15,000 palm apps would you like to load on it?" in another would bewilder some for sure. It sounds like a great idea for people who are really looking to explore the breadth and depth of the Palm experience, but unfortunately that is not the audience Handspring is aiming for. IMO.
  3.    #3  
    The information overload issue is why I said limit the list to somewhere between 30 - 50 aps. A large enough list that consumers get an idea of what is possible, but not so many they are overwhelmed.

Still, it is just an idea.

Gargoyle