1.    #1  
    Like Coke/Kleenex/Jeep, the Palm brand holds the power of being a generic representative of "pdas." I have carried a Visor and Visor phone for the past year, and I can't tell you how many times people have smiled and said, "Is that one of those Palm Pilots"! They seem excited, like the name stands for something positive.

One week ago, something different happened. I was playing in a tennis tournament and the guy I was playing asked if the Visor/Visor phone was "one of those Treos." He said it as if he was talking about a category, not a specific product (especially since the Visor looks nothing like the Treo). He clearly did not exhibit the same enthusiasm associated with the "palm pilot," he just seemed mildly curious.

It would be great if you good bright people could comment on the potential branding that will place with Treo 600.

I see almost certain confusion surrounding the Palm name with the newly merged Palm/Handspring entity (PalmSolutions). People will be buying "Palm Powered" products from Sony and other smaller players. Consumers will also be purchasing "PalmPowered" products from the new PalmSolutions company. A recent e-mail response from Brad Driver at Handspring IR suggested that the new company name would "include Palm," but that he did NOT think the new name would be "Palm Pilot," which was my posed question. I asked this question because I think the PalmPilot name clearly represents the hardware, not the OS.

How will the newly merged entity use the Palm brand, while at the same time give PalmSource the independence it needs to market the PalmOS? I think it will prove challenging.

Any guesses at the new entity name would be interesting as well.

Thanks for any comments,

Doug

They cant use pilot, they already lost that battle.

It looks like the handspring name will go away. The treo will eventually be called the Palm Treo.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by rolltide6

How will the newly merged entity use the Palm brand, while at the same time give PalmSource the independence it needs to market the PalmOS? I think it will prove challenging.
    Interesting topic, however I don't think that Palmsource needs to market PalmOS in the same fashion as the new Palm brand. The OS is marketed to hardware developers, not consumers.

The new name definately needs "Palm" in it, for the reason you stated. Everyone knows it as a Palm Pilot.
  4.    #4  
    I noticed on the back of the Treo 90 is the familiar palm logo (followed by "source"). It would be interesting to see if they scrap the Palm logo.