View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treo 600 with SprintPCS and unlimted vision (1xrtt)

34 69.39%
  • Samsung SGH-i500 with T-mobile and unlimited gprs

15 30.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, this is a decision I think I might need to make soon, so I was wondering what ya'll opinions are! Basically, the announcement by T-mobile of unlimited gprs for $20 add-on has got me considering switching from Sprint! From my perspecitve here are the pros/cons:

Samsung SGH-500 w/Tmo unlimited gprs:
    PROS:
    Can't beat unlimted data! Whahooo!
    TFT 320x320 transflective screen
    camera, flip cover
    OS 5.x, 300mhz proc, 32MB Rom/32MB Ram, SDIO; bascially incredible specs all around
    can use data for laptop/pda
    CONS:
    No thumboard (kinda got used to it on my Treo300)
    gprs is still slower than 1xrtt
    Tmo shared/family plans not as good as sprint

Treo 600 w/SprintPCS unlimited data (1xrtt)
    PROS:
    Fast unlimited data91xrtt) with Sprint's Vison plans!
    Awesome new design, looks very pocketable
    Thumboard! Great for emails, IM's etc
    impressive specs (OS 5.x, 133? Mhz Arm, 32MB Ram, camera, SDIO etc)
    CONS:
    160x160 CSTN screen HS, what were ya thinking?
    No (officially) support to use 1xrtt for laptop/pda access, but you can..
    No flip cover to protect screen (subjective)

So what do you guys think? Neither will have integrated BT, and niether are perfect IMO. I'm pretty bumbed about the Treo 600 screen, but I'm not that thrilled about the lack of thumboard on the SGH either? Any thoughts?
    Good question, but since the T600 isn't out yet, and some specs you have given about it may change by the time it is available, and its price is yet to be determined, I cannot see how one can make a decision. I couldn't. (BTW, The WSJ gave a very good review to the SGH-i500, but Walt also loves the Treo.)
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for responding m00se!! I was starting to think I was the only one considering this question!!

Also, perhaps I should have added a couple more options to the poll like: the new SE T608 + BT enabled PDA, and/or "none of the above, giving up on converged devices"... Maybe that would have encouraged more responses. Can one of the mods here maybe adjust the poll?

Anyhoo, if the Treo600 had a high rez screenie, I wouldn't even be considering the SGH right now...
    GF,

I'm sure you arent the only one considering it. According to the poll i sis lastt weeks, there are atleast 50 ppl who don't like the 600 or are not sure about it.

I'm on the not sure about it.

I love one device, but I love the keyboard more. Now with the unlimited tmo plan, I love chatting with verichat without bothering with how many minutes it is wasting.

So right now, I'm waiting to see how the 600 screen is in sun light to make my decision.

I might end up with 2 sony products. :-) Even though the sonys clie kb suck, so i have read.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by m00se
    Good question, but since the T600 isn't out yet, and some specs you have given about it may change by the time it is available, and its price is yet to be determined, I cannot see how one can make a decision. I couldn't. (BTW, The WSJ gave a very good review to the SGH-i500, but Walt also loves the Treo.)
    m00se
    Additionally, the specs for the SGH-i500 are in dispute (hi-res or not) and of course it probably won't be here until early next year. FYI, the WSJ review was on the SPH-i500, which is available soon. That is not the device polled here, though.
    Not a question.

Phone-centric user, or multimedia user, choose i500.
    Web-surfing or Messaging, choose Treo 600.

Some advantages of Treo 600 you didnt mentioned:

1. Battery life. (Slower CPU speed: 133 vs 300; Different screen: CSTN vs TFT; Battery volumn: 1600 or 1800 vs 1100 or 1700. We can expect a much longer talk/surf time in Treo 600.

2. Optimized web-browser. Blazer is much faster than other third-party browsers, such as webpro, netfront, xiino etc. And it will support Javascript in next version.

3. Fully optimized PIM apps for phone function. You cannot expect too much from samsung, right?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    FYI, the WSJ review was on the SPH-i500, which is available soon. That is not the device polled here, though.
    My bad, double-head...
    m00se

(Still miss that flying ham though...)
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Everyone has their must have feature, and for me it's the keybaord.

Treo 600.

Cluemeister
    I wouldn't get either yet. I want the keyboard and longer life of the treo and I want tmobile (GSM) compatibility also.

I guess I'm waiting on the treo 540
    Dude, if I wanted to use Grafitti, I would be using a Kyocera 7135 right now.

And (at least in the Bay Area) if I wanted a GSM phone, I'd just walk around with a cold piece of plastic in my hand saying "can you hear me now? Damn, still no signal!".
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    ... snip ...

And (at least in the Bay Area) if I wanted a GSM phone, I'd just walk around with a cold piece of plastic in my hand saying "can you hear me now? Damn, still no signal!".
    Hmm... that would work the other way around if you took your sprint phone to Ireland I think

If I didn't have an interest in getting decent coverage in Europe, I would probably get CDMA, although Sprint's SMS messaging is weird, isn't it?
    KB a side, the Samsung has me sold. Flip style along w/ all the other features. I was tired of carrying a brick (Prism+Visor Phone) in that respect, I can't go backwards. Actually, I am pretty happy w/ my 270. The SGH-i500 does seem to be pretty cool though...
    One thing's for sure -- We all could use an extra dose of patience right about now. Like the rest of you I'm dying to get rid of my current device (Kyo 6035), but virtually nothing is out to upgrade to!
    • P800 is out of the question b/c Symbian
    • 2 devices connected via BT are out of the question b/c 2 devices is 1 too many
    • Pocket PC OS devices are out of the question b/c of frequent crashes and low battery life

And so, I wait.........................OK HURRY UP ALREADY AND RELEASE THE FREAKIN' PHONES!!!
    go.digital
    Originally posted by UGlee
    Not a question.

Phone-centric user, or multimedia user, choose i500.
    Web-surfing or Messaging, choose Treo 600.

Some advantages of Treo 600 you didnt mentioned:

1. Battery life. (Slower CPU speed: 133 vs 300; Different screen: CSTN vs TFT; Battery volumn: 1600 or 1800 vs 1100 or 1700. We can expect a much longer talk/surf time in Treo 600.

2. Optimized web-browser. Blazer is much faster than other third-party browsers, such as webpro, netfront, xiino etc. And it will support Javascript in next version.

3. Fully optimized PIM apps for phone function. You cannot expect too much from samsung, right?
    CSTN has slow response times. Therefore, you might see "ghosting" when viewing fast videos.

I think the SGH has the Blazer web browser as well.

Keep in mind that the specs for the SGH is still VERY preliminary. It's been announced about 2- 3 months ago and will make its debut sometime in Q3 2003 Europe. Many things might change before it finally makes it on to the market.
    I am seriously considering the Tungsten T/T2 plus T608 route. Course now that's two vapor boxes so I can be legally classified as insane.

I will REALLY miss the KB if I head this route, but mobility is more important than Wi-FI (sorry T/C)

The Treo 600 is very appealing, but I really want Hi-Res. If I have to browse a spreadsheet one more time in 160 squared I will scream.

I am also a little underwhelmed by the CPU choice, but perhaps this is more geek than reality. My goal is NOT TO CARRY A LAPTOP!!

...boy do I sound like a whiner!!
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    Wading into the deep water, I'd prefer the i500 over the T600 only because of clam shell and resolution. That said --

Any comparison is pure speculation and folly! Samsung/SPrint have jerked us around since MARCH 2002 with the "coming soon" SPH i500, the weak sibling of the SGH version. In Sprint speak, it may be out by the end of this month - 15 months from first peek to delivery. IN that scenario, given the SGH surfaced either March/April this year, we'll see it at summer picnic time 2004. By tehn, you'll probably have 6 good months of use out fo your T600.

Don't get me wrong, I'm salivating and wil probably jump for the SPH as soon as it's out. However, I could have been using a T300 or Samsung i330 for 6-12 months now.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    Wading into the deep water, I'd prefer the i500 over the T600 only because of clam shell and resolution. .
    It's funny how something very important to one person is the very same thing that I wouldn't get the I500 for.

You cannot see the screen. I like seeing my IM's pop up at a glance.. or the picture caller ID and not having to open it to use any functions. Clamshell phones just annoy me now (ever since I got a Samsung N400, then my Treo 300, I want to see the screen!)
    Originally posted by njchris

It's funny how something very important to one person is the very same thing that I wouldn't get the I500 for.

You cannot see the screen. I like seeing my IM's pop up at a glance.. or the picture caller ID and not having to open it to use any functions. Clamshell phones just annoy me now (ever since I got a Samsung N400, then my Treo 300, I want to see the screen!)
    Well, you CAN see the external screen on the i500...

Actually for me the deal breaker for the t600 is the lak of removable battery (a PRO/CON not metioned above, oddly enough). I don't care how long it is suppose to last (when new!) I need more - I will always need more. And when the built in batery on the t600 eventually starts to get twitchy, do we have to send it back to palmspring like all the other treos? I am surprise that the removable battery is not more of an issue for people. How many mobile phones today do not have a removable batery? I find it far more important that the 160x160 issue.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    How many mobile phones today do not have a removable batery? I find it far more important that the 160x160 issue.
    If everyone with a removable battery jumped off a bridge, would you? I actually have rarely run into battery problems with my Treo.
    I think the new Treo 600 is great. I could care less about the screen. My point is everyone has different needs. What are you looking for in a phone/pda device? What MUST it have; what do you care less about? Here are a few items for comparison. Add any I have forgot.

Also, what are your size and weight limits? Lastly, what are you willing to pay, realistically? And dont say $50... ;-)

$500 - Cost (maximum)
    5x2x1" - Size (maximum)
    6 oz. - Weight (maximum)
    100Mhz - ARM Processor (minimum speed)
    3 days - Battery Life (minimum)
    YES - Holster (semi-permanent)
    YES - Color screen
    NO - Hi-res
    NO - Web Browser
    NO - Email
    NO - Clamshell/Flip
    NO - Camera