View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treo 600 with SprintPCS and unlimted vision (1xrtt)

34 69.39%
  • Samsung SGH-i500 with T-mobile and unlimited gprs

15 30.61%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    $600 - Cost (maximum)
    4.5x2.5x.85" - Size (maximum)
    6.5 oz. - Weight (maximum)
    100Mhz - ARM Processor (minimum speed)
    2 days with normal use - Battery Life (minimum)
    YES - Holster (holster aware--vibrates in holster, rings when out)
    YES - Color screen
    DON'T CARE - Hi-res
    YES - Web Browser
    YES - Email
    NO - Clamshell/Flip
    YES - Camera
    YES - Bluetooth
    DON'T CARE - Infrared
    YES - Vibrate
    32MB - RAM Minimum
    YES - SD slot
    DON'T CARE - MP3 Capability
    YES - Speakerphone
    DON'T CARE - Poly Ring Capability
    YES - Keyboard
    DON'T CARE - Graffiti
    YES - Notepad App
    NO - GSM
    YES - CDMA
    DON'T CARE - Antenna (external)
    NO - Palm OS 4
    YES - Palm OS 5
    YES - Thumb Pad
    YES - *SCROLL* Wheel (or extremely capable/fast D-pad)
    YES - Headset Jack
    Same as Kurt, except:

$500 - Cost (maximum)

DONT CARE - Bluetooth
    YES - Infrared
    YES - MP3 Capability (of course a BT headset might come in handy here)
    YES - Poly Ring Capability
    DONT CARE - Notepad App
    DONT CARE - *SCROLL* Wheel
    sir_mycroft has a point. Battery life on every one of my last seven treos suck. I travel alot and do not have the luxury of leaving it charging at all times. I am checking emails making calls, & the battery starts to die by mid day. That said, I am pretty jazzed by the 600, but a replaceable battery could swing my buying preference. The rumor of an external battery sled could be a solution, but at what cost? How much heavier & how much more bulkier? I guess I will make my decision in the fall when hopefully all the cards are on the table.
    removable battery is not important for me. I know people who had to tape the battery to the phone because it had a tendency to get unhooked. Removable means more problems in my book.

Also I doubt that the majority of consumers will want/need a removable battery since it only makes sense if you actually carry along a spare set of batteries. And who wants to do that, really? I believe Handspring made a very smart choice there: integrate the battery and cut the cost but offer a baatery sled for the power users who need it and will pay extra for it. Same with bluetooth: leave it out for cost benefits but keep an option (e.g. expansion slot; internal hookup possibilities...) for the users who want it.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
  5.    #25  
    FYI: the Samsung SGH-i500 is now available for pre-order here:

http://www.just-talk.com/comesoon.php?manID=4

However, if you click on "more detail" it describes this:

Two displays: 1) Internal - a touchscreen, which has a resolution of 162X176 pixels (it can also support the resolution of 324X352 pixels); it is TFT-65K display, which contains up to 14 text lines. 2) External OLED display (96X64 pixels) is capable to show up to 256 colors
    So what the heck does this mean?!!!!!! I know this has been discussed ad nauseum in the previous thread about the Treo600, but no final aggreement was reached b/c of lack of info. Does this mean the SGH only has a 162x176 and the higher rez is achieved by some software method?! This is very confusing...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    FYI: the Samsung SGH-i500 is now available for pre-order here:

http://www.just-talk.com/comesoon.php?manID=4

However, if you click on "more detail" it describes this:

So what the heck does this mean?!!!!!! I know this has been discussed ad nauseum in the previous thread about the Treo600, but no final aggreement was reached b/c of lack of info. Does this mean the SGH only has a 162x176 and the higher rez is achieved by some software method?! This is very confusing...
    You got me on this one. That sounds like a bunch of marketing tap-dancing to get around the fact that it's not a high-res screen compared to newer Palms and Clies.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I'm wondering why this poll didn't give the option of a Treo 600 with T-Mobile & unlimited data plan? Seems to me that is a whole additional option that should have been offered. As a Treo 270 user, I'm already on that plan. When the 600 comes, I'll jump to that.

Andrew
    If this is indeed the case, many (including myself) have egg on their face after insisting "others can do it, why can't Handspring."

It says available in 21 days? Can that be right? The previous Samsung model isn't even in wide release yet. I'm getting quite confused.
    Originally posted by Andrew-NYC
    I'm wondering why this poll didn't give the option of a Treo 600 with T-Mobile & unlimited data plan? Seems to me that is a whole additional option that should have been offered. As a Treo 270 user, I'm already on that plan. When the 600 comes, I'll jump to that.

Andrew
    You're right. I'm also a Treo 270 user.

The original poster was probably under the impression that the Treo 600 would only support Sprint CDMA because that was the only company that was mentioned in the initial rumor mill.

Many Treo 300 users don't care about GSM and didn't even consider the Treo until a Sprint version was available. Since Handspring had a deal with Sprint for exclusive distribution of the Treo 300, many assumed that would carry over to its "upgrade" (the 600).

Of course, we now know that the Treo 600 is not just one device, but two (a CDMA version and a GSM version) both with the same model number.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    If the Samsung SGH-i500 really IS hi-res, I don't think we'd see all this marketing lingo. Good news, becuase if it's a software solution to support Hi-res, then we'll likely see the same for the Treo 600 from a third party.
    About that pre-order site, does anyone know if they've been accurate with "Estimated" release dates on other phones in the past?
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

You're right. I'm also a Treo 270 user.

The original poster was probably under the impression that the Treo 600 would only support Sprint CDMA because that was the only company that was mentioned in the initial rumor mill.

Many Treo 300 users don't care about GSM and didn't even consider the Treo until a Sprint version was available. Since Handspring had a deal with Sprint for exclusive distribution of the Treo 300, many assumed that would carry over to its "upgrade" (the 600).

Of course, we now know that the Treo 600 is not just one device, but two (a CDMA version and a GSM version) both with the same model number.
    No actually, the reason I didn't include Tmo unlimited data plans is b/c at the time of the original post, they didn't exist!! If I had to post again. I would have of course included that option...but everyone knows 1xrtt is better than gprs anyway right?
    I hear you about not carrying a laptop! I have this dream of carrying the Treo 600 and Margi's Presenter to Go so I can drive a full resolution Powerpoint from my phone! How cool would that be? I am bummed out about the 160 x 160...Once you've seen hi res, it's hard to settle for less. All-in however, I would definitely buy the 600 considering the awesome design and the keyboard, SD Card, etc.

No actually, the reason I didn't include Tmo unlimited data plans is b/c at the time of the original post, they didn't exist!! If I had to post again. I would have of course included that option...but everyone knows 1xrtt is better than gprs anyway right?
    Then why does your poll say "Samsung SGH-i500 with T-mobile and unlimited gprs"? Both options you gave were for unlimited data plans (one for Sprint and one for T-Mobile), but you chose a non-Treo device to represent a choice under T-Mobile for unlimited. Any particular reason you excluded the Treo for a T-Mobile solution...if not for the reason I suggested?

And by the way...the unlimited T-Mobile data plan started Jun 11th...four days before your poll (Look at TreoCentral's news archive for June). So it DID exist!

Haha! I'm sure 1xRTT is faster than GPRS (as currently implemented), but it's only available in the States. It's not an option if you're an international traveler. What good is it if it's not available where you need it?

Ask someone that travels a lot if 1xRTT is better. Everyone has their own requirements. YMMV
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 07/12/2003 at 07:37 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12