1.    #1  
    I've had a Treo 270 for almost a year now. My only complaint is that my phone reception is marginal at my home, although it seems to be much better other places.
    It's very frustrating to almost always have to ask people to call me on my landline or call them back on the same. Even if the signal starts out strong and clear, it almost always fades and people lose me.
    Is the Treo 300, with CDMA through Sprint, any better in this regard than the 270, with GSM through T-mobile?
    I haven't seen other complaints about reception in this forum. I can't believe it's just me..or maybe all the others have given up and switched to a different phone device.
    When I switched to Sprint (I had a Treo 180), my reception and coverage greatly improved. I'm in Houston.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Croshaven
    I've had a Treo 270 for almost a year now. My only complaint is that my phone reception is marginal at my home, although it seems to be much better other places.
    It's very frustrating to almost always have to ask people to call me on my landline or call them back on the same. Even if the signal starts out strong and clear, it almost always fades and people lose me.
    Is the Treo 300, with CDMA through Sprint, any better in this regard than the 270, with GSM through T-mobile?
    I haven't seen other complaints about reception in this forum. I can't believe it's just me..or maybe all the others have given up and switched to a different phone device.
    Differences in reception is really a matter that's very specific to carrier coverage in your local area. There are some places where T-Mobile has great coverage, and other where they dont. Same with Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Nextel. It's definitely a YMMV situation. Check out coverage where you actually have to have it by borrowing somebody's phone before you sign on the dotted line.

I'm a 270 user with T-Mobile and have noticed that their coverage is pretty good in most major metro areas and along the interstates, and almost non-existant once you go off the beaten path. I think Verizon has the best coverage overall, and Sprint is somewhere in the middle.
    I use T-Mo with the T270 and the coverage is great. I assume that with any carrier you'd find some spotty areas in which reception is poor.

A couple of things about GSM and why I like it:
    1. SIM card. If you like to switch between phones, all you have to do is take the SIM card from one phone, insert it into the second phone and viola You are ready to go. I bought my T270 on e-Bay, put in the SIM card and it works great.
    2. If you travel overseas (Europe and Asia in particular), you can use your Treo there. With a CDMA phone you can't.

OOps: 15 seconds are up
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    As others have already said, the reception on a mobile is greatly affected by several factors with with the wireless provider's coverage the most important one. You should inquire and ask other users what their experiences are with Sprint in your area. I personally have very good coverage (always at least 2 bars) in central florida where I live. Also, you should note that the Treo300 is only a monoband 1900 MHz mobile. Thus there is no analog roaming and if you don't have signal, then you out of luck. That being said, data (1xrtt) via Sprint's vision service is much faster than comparable gprs (there was a good article about this on trecentral front page). However, if you travel abroad alot, then gsm/gprs is by far the best option...

I think Verizon has the best coverage overall, and Sprint is somewhere in the middle.
    Just to clarify: You are correct to say that Verizon has the best cellular coverage in NA, but its "digital" network is still far less prevalent than Sprint. That is why when you buy a dual band/trimode cdma mobile from SprintPCS, when you roam AMPs, it is often on Verizon coverage leased to Sprint. Of course, this is changing and Verizon will undoubted improve its data coverage as it invests more into its infrastructure.