Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. vaylen's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
       #1  
    Should PalmSpring decide to make a Treo 700 using their combined knowledge from the Tungsten and Treo lines, I think they could have the ultimate device for the power cellphone user.

    http://www.members.aol.com/troykadam/treos.jpg

    I envision a phone which while not as wide as the 300 but has a larger screen so it is not as thin as the 600. But it would still be very comfortable in the hand as well as in your pocket. It would use the Tungsten slide out ability, but it would reveal the thumboard instead of a grafitti panel. When the 700 was slid closed it would extend a thin plastic film up over the screen using a gear mechanism that unrolls the film up over the screen area at twice the rate that the thumboard panel is pushed up. This film would be thin enough to use the touchscreen through but would protect the screen while the phone was in your pocket. The thumboard would have a button to extend it automatically with a springloaded mechanism for one handed use, but you would have to close it manually. Also, the arial, while not embedded as in some european phones, would be decidedly less pronounced and easier to deal with in your pocket. Other features include:

    - 320x320 Transflective TFT screen. It would be about 2.2 inches square and comparable to the Tungsten screen
    - NO CAMERA! It amazes me that people still think they are going to use these crappy cameras more than a few times before the novelty wears off and it sits there like a tit on a boar
    - SD expansion slot which would allow a bluetooth card for those who wish to pay more for this function
    - SD memory slot for additional memory for use with .mp3 player
    - Stereo headphone jack (with bluetooth ability, it's more likely this would be used for .mp3 playback than hands free phone operation, but it is definitely NOT MONO)
    - GPRS compatible out of the box with a 3G version to come out once the infastructure is available in the U.S.
    - Did I mention the plastic screen cover? Yes, it unrolls over the screen when the thumboard is closed to protect the screen

    As with anything, I'm sure some will always want something not as wide as this mockup, but you can't have a wide screen without a wide phone. The 300 is simply TOO wide and wastes too much space on the sides of the screen.

    Someone may never make a phone with these features, but if they don't we will be the worse for it.
  2. #2  
    If it unfolded into a portable toilet I would buy it.

    TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
  3. #3  
    what would e nice is if the treo was Horizontal instead of vertical.

    Shaped like a Game Boy advance not SP
    The keyboard would be larger.

    Get rid of the antenna and make it telescopic and the same color as the unit
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by vaylen
    Should PalmSpring decide to make a Treo 700 using their combined knowledge from the Tungsten and Treo lines
    Oops....read my remarks below....
    Last edited by m00se; 06/10/2003 at 08:04 AM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by vaylen
    Should PalmSpring decide to make a Treo 700 using their combined knowledge from the Tungsten and Treo lines
    Now how much knowledge exactly does Palm have in making smart phones? Isn't that's why Palm married Handspring?
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  6. #6  
    good god the treo 600 hasn't even been released yet!! I'll let you know after it comes out and I own one for a bit...
  7. #7  
    Before the Palm-HS merger announcement, I figured that Treo 600 is going to be HS's last phone offering. Now there is a merger and Hawkins is the Chief Technologh Officer, Treo 700 is a possibility unless they will rename it to Treo T, W or C instead.

    I think that Treo 700 should include the following:

    1. A direct copy of SGH-i500 form factor with Thumbboard instead.
    2. Use Intel Xscale processor (400mhz)
    3. 1.2 meg-pixel Camera
    4. Version 1.2 Bluetooth w/wi-fi
    5. Mpaq-4 Video Recording
    6. 320x320 res.
    7. SDIO
    8. Removable battery
    9. OS 6 - 64mb (Upgradable to 128 mb)
    10. Weight - 5 oz
    11. $499.00

    Is it too much to ask?
  8. #8  
    As if there hasn't been enough threads on what people want in the new Treo for the last 6 months, we need another for the next after the next Treo, before the next one is even out??
  9. #9  
    Right now, I would be happy with a Treo600 with TFT 320x320 tranflective screen. Add BT and I would be estatic...
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Right now, I would be happy with a Treo600 with TFT 320x320 tranflective screen. Add BT and I would be estatic...
    It is a wishful thinking though. You are not getting any of those from 600. The design features has been set and closed long time ago. The only hope is to look forward for the next project which might be on the drawing board. You have to tell them what you want early in the planning process.
  11. #11  
    maybe you dont need a camera but others do. In a survey conducted among young people, a camera is among the most wanted feature.
    I never thought I would be interested in a grainy low mp camera in my cellphone/pda( since I already have a small but 4 megapixel camera). but after using the 3650 I changed my mind. there are Many, many uses of camera in a phone. So treo600 is correct in adding this feature.
  12. #12  
    Your right a camera is the most looked for feature in 'new' cell phones, but thier also the least used feature.

    Just make the camera an extra feature to be purchase not standard 'include in the price'

    hand held computers needed to be more like Desktops. You should have a choice of at least
    1 CPU slower or faster
    2 Memory size
    3 Choice of External Store
    4 Screen Size
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3


    hand held computers needed to be more like Desktops. You should have a choice of at least
    1 CPU slower or faster
    2 Memory size
    3 Choice of External Store
    4 Screen Size
    You could if you get a BT phone paired with a BT PDA. Then you will have a choice for any vendor, CPU, memory, screen size or any other features.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3
    hand held computers needed to be more like Desktops. You should have a choice of at least
    1 CPU slower or faster
    2 Memory size
    3 Choice of External Store
    4 Screen Size
    You make a good point. There are too many gotchas with picking a specific PDA. You should be able to to get the Tungsten C with Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi. Or the Sony Clie TG50 with Graffiti insteead of a keyboard etc. It seems everyone has to make a sacrifice when they buy a PDA, they are always getting something they don't want, and missing a feature they do want.

    It would be really kewl if there were build your own options like a PC, with different case options as well. I wonder if it will ever get down to this.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Appleman


    You make a good point. There are too many gotchas with picking a specific PDA. You should be able to to get the Tungsten C with Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi. Or the Sony Clie TG50 with Graffiti insteead of a keyboard etc. It seems everyone has to make a sacrifice when they buy a PDA, they are always getting something they don't want, and missing a feature they do want.

    It would be really kewl if there were build your own options like a PC, with different case options as well. I wonder if it will ever get down to this.
    The problem is there is so much wasted space when you move to a piecemeal system. Just look a desktop compared to a laptop. Laptops generally aren't as amenable to switching out components of different brands because everything has been designed to physically fit together. On the handheld level it's even worse, first because of the size, and second because of the lack of mounting hardware. In a full computer, there is ample room to bolt things in, screw this to that, make sure these things interlock, etc. And even then, it isn't designed to hit against your leg with every step you take over the course of a day.

    Eventually we may get there. I'd look toward Dell (definitely not Palm because they are the Apple computer of the handheld world--and look at how hard it is to replace components of iMacs with non-Apple pieces) to make the first step.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by vaylen
    - Did I mention the plastic screen cover? Yes, it unrolls over the screen when the thumboard is closed to protect the screen
    I have a loaner Zaurus PDA. I think it was the first to have that slider pulldown for the keyboard. I really don't like it much, in fact, I think all designs which use a slider or flip mechanism are not good for primarily data centric use. Maybe as a mostly phone device, but sliding and flipping everytime you browse, make a note, or reply to email is obnoxious.

    I see that with the Zaurus, the Sidekick, and even my Treo 300 started bugging me. Finally I couldn't take it any more and I cut the friggin flip off. That was NOT a fun process, let me tell you. But you know, I'm a lot happier with the device now. The only downside has been that the OS thinks the lid is open and so it reduces the ringer volume. I was going to patch the OS to fix that, but now I think I will just do my own ringer because I don't think my smaller replacement speaker is loud enough even at full volume.. so I'll probably combine it with the piezo beeper too
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    The problem is there is so much wasted space when you move to a piecemeal system. Just look a desktop compared to a laptop. Laptops generally aren't as amenable to switching out components of different brands because everything has been designed to physically fit together. On the handheld level it's even worse, first because of the size, and second because of the lack of mounting hardware. In a full computer, there is ample room to bolt things in, screw this to that, make sure these things interlock, etc. And even then, it isn't designed to hit against your leg with every step you take over the course of a day.

    Eventually we may get there. I'd look toward Dell (definitely not Palm because they are the Apple computer of the handheld world--and look at how hard it is to replace components of iMacs with non-Apple pieces) to make the first step.
    Palm is the Apple of Handheld "that the truth"

    I don't mean a true peice system with different part made by different company, or totally interchangable.

    Example
    Treo 400

    $200.00 Ver 1 "lowest" 33mhz, 16MB, 2.5 X 2.5 screen, No SD or Blue Tooth

    $275.00 Ver 2 Med Level "66mhz, 32mb, 3.0 X3.0, SD,

    $350.00 Ver3 High "133mhz, 64, 3.0 X 3.0, SD, and Blue tooth

    $450.00 Ver4 Stupid High "200mhz, 128MB, 4.0 X 4.0, Camera, SD, Bluetooth, and MP3s

    Just make different model for different user on the same Line of a Product, Becasue there are some feature I don't want in a palm which I could trade off. They can Start with a Super Device that has all the popular features, then just removel features to create lower models

    We just don't want bundled feature, which increase the price which we will not use.
  18. vaylen's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
       #18  
    Originally posted by potatoho

    I have a loaner Zaurus PDA. I think it was the first to have that slider pulldown for the keyboard. I really don't like it much, in fact, I think all designs which use a slider or flip mechanism are not good for primarily data centric use. Maybe as a mostly phone device, but sliding and flipping everytime you browse, make a note, or reply to email is obnoxious.

    I see that with the Zaurus, the Sidekick, and even my Treo 300 started bugging me. Finally I couldn't take it any more and I cut the friggin flip off. That was NOT a fun process, let me tell you. But you know, I'm a lot happier with the device now. The only downside has been that the OS thinks the lid is open and so it reduces the ringer volume. I was going to patch the OS to fix that, but now I think I will just do my own ringer because I don't think my smaller replacement speaker is loud enough even at full volume.. so I'll probably combine it with the piezo beeper too
    You would be able to use the phone and palm without sliding the thumboard out. That's the beauty of it. The sceen is protected and it's usable. The protective film only scrolls off the screen when you eject the thumboard at the bottom. No flip, and you only need one hand to eject the thumboard.

Posting Permissions