1.    #1  
    O.K., its conspiracy time. I'm going to bounce this off u guys because i want your arguments.

I dont think that Palm Solutions and PalmSource will split now that they have HAND on board.

Reasons:

1. Donna and Jeff will be majority shareholders in Palm, and in the book "Piloting Palm" they were portrayed as against the licensing of the OS to others.

2. Palms real reason for splitting the OS and hardware groups was because their hardware group was heading straight to bankrupty. So they had to split it off to keep HAND and Sony. Because why would hand and sony be willing to sign long-term licensing agreements if there was not gaurantee palm (w/OS) would have been around in 3 yrs as one company.
    Palm says the reason is they wanted a "chinese wall" between their hardware and software division to help their licensees be secure in knowing that the OS would not be designed soley w/ palms products in mind, nor would the OS side reveal the hardware designs of HAND and Sony to Palm hardware.
    With Palm and Hand as one, the only real licensee will be Sony. So whats the incentive for Palm to just keep sony? The revenues from them cannot be that great. What about 5-7 million dollars in revenue?

3. Keeping Palmsource as part of Palm will put the OS in the hands of Jeff and their development team. It will allow them too tweak it or totally recreate it for the convergent device market. The palm os was origninally designed for pda's, but now the market is shifting to communicator/smart phone devices . . . so, the os needs to be changed to match that. Giving better integration between the phone, email, camera, and pda aspects.

These are my essential arguments. What do u think? I hope they don't split it, i want to see what Jeff and his team can do w/ it in their hands.

I'm not saying this WILL happen, but that it's a possibility . . . (even one that is told as a risk in Palm most recent 10Q; they say the split may not be implemented).
    Sorry... Re-read the press release. The PSG and Handspring merger is contigent upon the spinoff of PalmSource first.

Secondly, Sony is not the only lisencee besides PSG! cdunphy, a PalmSource emplyee, gave a nice list during a discussion at ppcts:

Here is the current roster of "announced" Palm OS licensees:

+ Aceeca - Devices for the industrial and measurement market.

+ Acer - Very nifty devices for China, Asia, and Europe.

+ AlphaSmart - A cross between a laptop and a PDA, for the educational market.

+ Fossil - The worlds first full PDA-in-a-watch. On sale THIS month.

+ Garmin - The worlds first integrated GPS / PDA. Extremely cool device. On sale "soon"... (Garmin is the Id Software of the hardware world... "It is done when it is done...")

+ GSL - Doing a cool camera phone / PDA for asia and europe.

+ Handspring - Makes arguably the best converged phone / pda devices anywhere.

+ HuneTec / WebLink Wireless - Doing a small wireless messaging device that is surprisingly cool.

+ Kyocera - Cool clamshell PalmOS smartphones.

+ Legend - PDA's for China.

+ Palm SG - The worlds #1 (by far) handheld maker.

+ Samsung - Amazingly cool phones. The i500 is the first PDA / phone combo anywhere that actually looks and feels like a regular cell phone in your hand. The size is amazing.

+ Sony - Arguably the world's most inovative consumer electronics company.

+ Symbol - The world leader in industrial handhelds.

+ TapWave - This company is going to turn the gaming world on its ear...

Notice - not a clone maker in the bunch. Every PalmOS licensee is innovating, and exploring new markets, form factors, and functionality.
    The real danger here is not PSG not spinning off PalmSource, the real worrisome factor is who will try to buy PalmSource once it spins off? Nobuyuki Idei, Chairman and CEO of Sony Corporation is on record saying that he would like to buy PalmSource. That would be a bad move for the PalmOS economy IMO. Also, I would not make any assumptions regarding the lisencing fees PalmSource earns. That info has never been released...
  3.    #3  
    thanks, i guess that answers that. That's why i posted here.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Also, I would not make any assumptions regarding the lisencing fees PalmSource earns. That info has never been released...
    actually i think i saw the release somewhere, its like $4-5 per device.

and the revenue from palmsource was 26 million of its 209 million total.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic The real danger here is not PSG not spinning off PalmSource, the real worrisome factor is who will try to buy PalmSource once it spins off? Nobuyuki Idei, Chairman and CEO of Sony Corporation is on record saying that he would like to buy PalmSource.
    if thats a danger then why would they split it off and take the risk?
  5. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by craigdts

Reasons:

1. Donna and Jeff will be majority shareholders in Palm
    Far from true. After the merger, current Handspring owners will own about 32.2 percent of Palm SG (1) . That's after the spin-off of PalmSource. And Dubinsky, Hawkins and Colligan today own 37.5 percent of Handspring (2).

Sources:

(1) http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030604/palm_handspring_2.html

(2) http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5479
    Originally posted by craigdts

actually i think i saw the release somewhere, its like $4-5 per device.

and the revenue from palmsource was 26 million of its 209 million total.
    Well then you've seen info that I have never seen! Care to post a link? Also, I recall a discussion over at ppcts where Micheal Mace actually chimed in to say that PalmSource's lisencing fees are very lisencee specific and confidential. Thus not all lisencees pay the same amount depending on the type of device, version, and etc. Thus I doubt you can just give a 4-5 dollar amount to for every device sold. It just not that simple...

if thats a danger then why would they split it off and take the risk?
    Okay, its not that simple to take over a company. Sony may have the where-withall to purchase PalmSource but this also depends on the advise form the board of directors, who owns the majority stake of outstanding stock, etc.