1.    #1  
    Hi,

Treo 180 user since may'02.

This morning I was going to call to my office and I wasn't able, treo was freezed, what a surprise.

I soft reseted treo. Try to start wireless mode -> "Network searching ..." (usually less than 30sec) 2 minutes later I was still waiting. Oh! perhaps there is major issue with my mobile provider. I went from one area in my city to another one and still same issue.

I've got home. I tried my SIM card with another mobile phone -> "Please enter a SIM card". Oh! is a SIM card issue. I went to a distributor for a new SIM card. I put this new one in the second mobile and everything is fine. Great.

I tried with treo again "Network searching ..."

I have opened treo, clean aerial/antenna contacts.
    I have hard reseted treo.
    I've tried with another GSM provider SIM.

"Network searching ..."

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot for you time.

S.
  2.    #2  
    still searching for network and help.

S.
    I know this problem, If possible - speak to Handspring Technical Support.

They will email you a utility that will reset the radio on your Treo. That should solve your continual Network Search problem.

If it does not, then you need a replacement.

One question: Do you see the Handspring logo while the Network search is on? If you do see it then maybe something is wrong with your GSM carrier.

Regards.
    Get the radio reset application from here .

Scroll all the way down.

Follow the instructions
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you all.
    I have already downloaded the Radio Reset application.
    I will try it this weekend.
    I'm not too confindent as yesterday I disconnected the battery (I know how to open treo) and I also did a hard reset. I hope the application does something else, not only to drain battery.

Gracias a todos.
    Ya me he bajado la aplicación de reset de la parte de radio
    Lo probaré este fin de semana.
    No estoy muy seguro que funcione ya que ayer desconecté la bateria e hice un "hard reset". Espero que la aplicación haga algo más que descargar la bateria.

S.
    Oh, I did not realize my problem is already known. I downloaded it too. Tomorrow, I will find out if this thing works.
  7.    #7  
    I hard reseted and run application not once or twice but three times and I wasn't able to have my "radio" part of treo up and running. I even opened my treo and disconnected battery to be absolutely sure every piece of information was gone. No way.

ManofTrueGod: God luck!!

Ups, sorry Good luck!!

S.
    Reinstall the GPRS patch... just follow instruction during installation.

It should work.
  9.    #9  
    OK I will try it tomorrow.

Thanks for info.

S.
  10.    #10  
    I've tried to reinstall GPRS update but ...

The update software needs the SIM card "activated"

How I can activate the SIM card?
    Connecting to my GSM provider

How I can connect to my GSM provider?
    Switching the "radio part" of treo on

OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!

The issue I'm trying to solve is the treo wireless (radio) part activation, switch on the treo radio part

End of story.

Thanks for help anyway.

I'm still open to receive new ideas or tricks.

S.
    Originally posted by Sokajim
    I've tried to reinstall GPRS update but ...

The update software needs the SIM card "activated"

How I can activate the SIM card?

S.

Hi Sokajim,

Yes, this is the problem with trying to re-install the GPRS patch when you have the famous 'endless network search'.

You will need another Treo (perhaps one of your friends has one).

Perform the GPRS update on your friend's Treo BUT ONLY up to the part where it needs to read the SIM to get your Service Provider's information (this is why you need a network connection).

It doesn't matter if your friends network provider is different to yours. If it is, you may need to write down your GPRS info from your network prefs to input into your phone once the GPRS update is finished.

When it has the information, exchange your friends Treo for your Treo and finish the GPRS installation.

I may be wrong but I know of no other way to get around this problem... except sending the Treo back for repair

You say you are a Treo user since May '02. Does this mean your Treo's warranty has expired? If so and you do not have a friend with a Treo, email me at nzmoko@nzmoko.com and we can arrange for you to send me your Treo and I will do the GPRS install for you (I am in Geneva, Switzerland).
    Last edited by nzmoko; 06/17/2003 at 03:57 AM.
    www.gsmworld.com
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for your offer for treo sending.

I have a friend (we buy treo together in eBay May'02) with treo.

I will try your idea.

Thanks.

S.

P.S.
    (A little bit risky to send your treo to Madrid Spain)
    RE-INSTALL THE GPRS UPGRADE!!!

Its need a activated sim, reason is to configure GPRS. (no need to connect).

Its OK if your wireless is off... Just install It, that should fix your "network searching" problem.

Try it... then post result.

Trust me.
  14.    #14  
    The GPRS update software needs the SIM activated/the GSM provider "connected" then the wireless mode on, if not the software ends.

I will try this weekend the idea using two different treos.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

S.
    Originally posted by Alexandra
    RE-INSTALL THE GPRS UPGRADE!!!

Trust me.
    Alexandra,

Not saying you are wrong, just that what you describe simply did not work for me - but it may have worked for you...

I needed an 'active' SIM. Active meaning one which can read from a network. As I had the endless search phenomenon, my SIM was not 'active' and I could not complete the install.

If I read the post from SokaJim correctly, he has tried the install and arrived at the same problem I had.

I believe the message was something like:
    "cannot connect to Service Provider. Turn on wireless mode and restart the GPRS Upgrade Installer". You click 'OK' (the only option), the Install ends and you are back to square one.

I'm interested to know what network you are using? Maybe your GPRS network prefs are stored on your SIM, hence, no connection is necessary. With Swisscom, they are not.
    www.gsmworld.com
  16.    #16  
    I'm thinking not to get mad with this issue and buy the new treo.

Please see photo included.

S.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17.    #17  
    nzmoko I wholeheartedly thank you for your idea.

N O W M Y T R E O I S U P & R U N N I N G A G A I N

I'm so happy

S.
    nzmoko,

Appreciate clarification of what you mentioned:
    "Perform the GPRS update on your friend's Treo BUT ONLY up to the part where it needs to read the SIM to get your Service Provider's information"

I have the "network search" "flip" problem, and am trying to fix it by re-installing the GPRS 1.1.2 upgrade, using a friend's Treo 270 with my SIM card inserted.
    Got to the screen "Checking your mobile service provider".
    Do I press the HotSync button to hotsync my friend's Treo?
    Or do I unplug my friend's Treo and plug in my own Treo before HotSync?
    If I should hotsync my friend's Treo, should I plug in my own Treo before clicking on "Next" to proceed with GPRS installation?

Thanks.

Originally posted by nzmoko

Hi Sokajim,

Yes, this is the problem with trying to re-install the GPRS patch when you have the famous 'endless network search'.

You will need another Treo (perhaps one of your friends has one).

Perform the GPRS update on your friend's Treo BUT ONLY up to the part where it needs to read the SIM to get your Service Provider's information (this is why you need a network connection).

It doesn't matter if your friends network provider is different to yours. If it is, you may need to write down your GPRS info from your network prefs to input into your phone once the GPRS update is finished.

When it has the information, exchange your friends Treo for your Treo and finish the GPRS installation.

I may be wrong but I know of no other way to get around this problem... except sending the Treo back for repair

You say you are a Treo user since May '02. Does this mean your Treo's warranty has expired? If so and you do not have a friend with a Treo, email me at nzmoko@nzmoko.com and we can arrange for you to send me your Treo and I will do the GPRS install for you (I am in Geneva, Switzerland).
    Didn't hear from nzmoko or anyone else, so I tried and figured out (one) way to re-installing GPRS upgrade to fix "network search" problem:

1. Hotsync own Treo and MOVE own backup directory contents to a temporary location
    2. Hard reset own Treo to clear all applications and data (and free up 6.7mb sufficient space for GPRS updater to run)
    3. Connect another Treo and perform GPRS upgrade through the first HotSync (do NOT click "Next") - under different user name
    4. Cancel upgrade installation (instead of "Next")
    5. Copy HotSync backup directory contents under the different user name to own Treo backup directory (exclude 3rd party applications and databases to allow 6.7mb sufficient space for GPRS updater to run)
    6. Connect own Treo and perform GPRS upgrade, selecting own user name
    7. After GPRS updater completes upgrade on the Treo, do not Hotsync to restore applications and data
    8. Move own backup directory contents in temporary location (item 1 above) back to own backup directory
    8. Hotsync to restore applications and data

Originally posted by LinJS
    nzmoko,

Appreciate clarification of what you mentioned:
    "Perform the GPRS update on your friend's Treo BUT ONLY up to the part where it needs to read the SIM to get your Service Provider's information"

I have the "network search" "flip" problem, and am trying to fix it by re-installing the GPRS 1.1.2 upgrade, using a friend's Treo 270 with my SIM card inserted.
    Got to the screen "Checking your mobile service provider".
    Do I press the HotSync button to hotsync my friend's Treo?
    Or do I unplug my friend's Treo and plug in my own Treo before HotSync?
    If I should hotsync my friend's Treo, should I plug in my own Treo before clicking on "Next" to proceed with GPRS installation?

Thanks.