1.    #1  
    The good news about the takeover of Plam by Handspring is that Hawkins has more imagination than the Palm folk.

The bad news is that Plam OS itself is doomed unless they can somehow create POs 6 very quickly. PO 5 is more of a low level fix than a high level new OS. The OS needs a more complex structure to compete with Symbian and CE. Palm OS wa soK as long as CPUs etc were to samll to handle a richer environment. That is no longer true.

But cpus and RAM are getting cheap and the Redmond Megalopoly has infinite cash reserves. CE is gonna get better, and better like the bunny thing that sells batteries.

Here is a scenario:

the Fruit company has a real problem. It has lost the market for PCs permanently and is stuck in a nitch 'less it moves its real talent into new fileds .. like selling music and cell phonery.

the fruit computer company buys Palm. Stuffs the OS, and replaces it with a version of Unix that they claim is based on sysyte,m X (actually they just buy it from Casio).

The PDAs/ Phones get redsined to look like the iPOD. PC users are forced to buy iPHONES with the bittern fruit logo. PC users like the phnes and buy iPHONE compatible Macs.

wow. sounds like a great screenplay for a high tech/romantic comedy. jim carrey can play bill gates, robin williams can be hawkins... who will play steve jobs?
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    the Fruit company has a real problem. It has lost the market for PCs permanently and is stuck in a niche 'less it moves its real talent into new fileds
    What's the problem? Just because a company doesn't have market dominance doesn't automatically mean they're in trouble. Lots of successful companies operate in niche markets.

I see no indication that Apple is any sort of jeopardy. We've been listening to "experts" sing that sad song for close to a decade now and what has happend? Apple thrives and continues to innovate.

Personally, I would love to see an Apple PDA but from what I've read Jobs is not a fan of them.
    Originally posted by Stevesm

the fruit computer company buys Palm. Stuffs the OS, and replaces it with a version of Unix that they claim is based on sysyte,m X (actually they just buy it from Casio).

The PDAs/ Phones get redsined to look like the iPOD. PC users are forced to buy iPHONES with the bittern fruit logo. PC users like the phnes and buy iPHONE compatible Macs...
    NO NO NO!!!!

Apple, as you infer, buying PalmSource and replacing the OS with some type proprietary version of unix would be the WORST possible thing to happen to the Palm economy! What PalmSource, the OS platform arm that will soon spin-off into a separate company, must to is to further nuture and grow the developer base which has been withering in the recent past. The only way to do this by incorporating either Java or Windows runtime environment into the next version of OS 6 (most likely the former). If I'm a corporate developer looking for a platform with industry-wide support from both hardware and software manufacturers, Java and Windows are the hands-down winners. Simply put, there will always many many more Java developers than PalmOS developers. If you don't believe me then read this excellent article from zdnet. I've pasted a few interesting excecpts from the article below:

On the developer front, things aren't much better. Just about any platform that achieves a notable critical mass must attribute that popularity to the availability of applications and the number of developers working on them. Over the years, Palm has done a great job winning over the development community. But, based on the feedback that I've received from ZDNet's readers during the past year, Palm apparently caused some headaches for its devotees when forward compatibility problems surfaced after version 5 of the Palm OS was rolled out. (Readers have made a similar complaint against Handspring with respect to the Treo's lack of the Springboard slot that was found in the company's Visor offerings.)

However, while Palm and its customers iron out compatibility issues, the maturity of Java in the mobile environment, and its availability on many more devices than the Palm OS will ever be on, begs the question: Why would a developer target anything but a Java or Windows runtime environment? If I'm a corporate developer looking for a platform with industry-wide support from both hardware and software manufacturers, Java and Windows are the hands-down winners. Palm is a bystander...

Another important benefit of the Java environment is the hardware choice that it creates for buyers. As more handheld devices (especially phones) come out supporting Java--and even Windows--users get more choices. The leverage of that choice is what drives hardware prices down and incents manufacturers to innovate in ways that ultimately benefit buyers. The concept of this leverage brings us full circle to Palm's acquisition of Handspring.
    There is much more in the article and I heartily recommend reading the rest of it. Basically, Palmsource needs to broaden its user base and Apple is definitely not part of that equation. In fact, I doubt Apple will ever enter the handheld market again according to this report. The best thing for PalmSource is for Apple, Sony etc to leave it alone...
    Apple chose to market not only their OS, but also their hardware. That means they can get a lot more money out of their niche. I've owned three PCs and 1 mac. Jobs made a lot more money off of me than Bill Gates did.

Kevin
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Apple chose to market not only their OS, but also their hardware. That means they can get a lot more money out of their niche. I've owned three PCs and 1 mac. Jobs made a lot more money off of me than Bill Gates did.

Kevin
    Sure, but who has more capital committed to you? The return on invested capital is surely higher at MS than Apple. So even though they have more dollars from you, they had to plow a ton more into you and therefore I'd bet Apples returns are lower.
    Kurt,

I'd think that the amount of money Apple gets per user would be higher. Gates get a little bit off everybody for OS and software (even mac users), but Jobs gets the price of and OS and a computer off each of his users.

Kevin
    Right, but look at the capital committed, that is my point. Anyway, it was a fairly narrow one, and isn't important.
    Boy this flying ham is cute, Kurt

Anyhow, money-schmoney. I buy a machine based on performance. Nuff said.
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by m00se
    Boy this flying ham is cute, Kurt

Anyhow, money-schmoney. I buy a machine based on performance. Nuff said.
    m00se
    Hehe, I get a lot of good comments on it. It's amazing what you see when you look through the most emailed Yahoo stories.
  11.    #11  
    Wolfe:

MS makes a lot more on a mac than does Apple since macs /s MS softwaree are pretty useless. Moreover, since markdowns for the Mac SW are hard to get, MS or the wholesaler is very happy when you buy a Mac.

OTOH a Casio/Fruit/Os10a would be nearly pure profit for the fruit dealer. First they could get away with the usual Fruit-"quality" premium. I betcha appleoids would pay a premium of $150 to have a nice ivory white glow in the dark smooth as silk fruit labelled PDA cellphone. Seconde, in its inimitable style, Apple would then claim to have invented the genre, probably by upping the memory or adding a hard disk, or adding watchfob shaped like a cherry.

Anyhoo ... Palm oS is doomed if it does not grow. Windows is getting better and better and has a lot more upward room for growth than PalmOS. Apple can charge the premiums needed to compete with Gates, Palm OTOH needs to make $$ on a mass marketed item with thin margins
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Jobs would never be able to put up with the screwball cell carriers.
  13.    #13  
    I dunno. What is MORE of a prestige statement than a cell phone? Apple may be the only company that could charge enuff to pay for R&D.

Here is the fruitphone:

Mtt

FREEZE .... beyond COOL!

case: transluscent pearl white, glows in the dark. called "frozen white"
    car mount: magnetic suspension free in the air
    car display: virtual "heads up" display.
    car
    integration: voice command via cell phone runs iPAQ sattelradio.

moble interface 1: via modified freeze white glasses with reprojection frames.
    mobile interface 2: freezeme blue tooth via dialit ring.

female interface: pearl necklace
    hemale interface: ivory watch band modelled after shaka zulu's arm band.

Now tell me Jobs would not be interested!