Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now it won't turn off, there is no screen image, and I just want to scream. I doubt I can bring it back to CompUSA under the terms of my extended warranty and say, my Treo died because my son dunked it in his cereal so please give me a new one.

Is there any hope? Or do I have a $250 paperweight here?

Theresa
  2. jke
    Use a hair dryer on it and see if it will work after it is dry. If the milk sugar got inside and made it real sticky, you may be out of luck. Just curious, was he useing the Treo lid as a spoon?
    Good luck
    I thought TREO 90s were available for some ridiculously low price - like $40?

Probably cheaper just to get another rather than worry about the possibly-dead one.

(however, standard "fix" for wet electronic dvices is (1) do NOT turn it on (oopsie!) and (2) let it dry out for a few days.)
  4.    #4  
    The lowest I've seen the Treo 90 for is $199, new. We've had some big expenses lately, so a new Treo right now is not a purchase I can justify.

My 16yo developmentally disabled but high functioning and intelligent son "accidentally" pushed the Treo out of its case, and "accidentally" pushed a few buttons, then accidentally dunked it in his cereal. Since it was already on from the pushing of the buttons, I'm having no luck in turning the thing OFF, let alone worry about turning it ON after it's gotten wet. I think the innards are wet.

Right now, I think the sugar in his Cinnamon Toast Crunch is a bigger issue than the "milk sugars."

<Banging head on keyboard> Thank you for your advice, though!

Theresa
    At least you'd know (perhaps forever) at what time it happened
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  6.    #6  
    Very funny...no, really, I have no screen to speak of--the image is EXTREMELY faint, just a light on the top to indicate the thing is on. Sigh...

Theresa
    Originally posted by clanmesa
    The lowest I've seen the Treo 90 for is $199, new. We've had some big expenses lately, so a new Treo right now is not a purchase I can justify
    Theresa
    Purchased one a few weeks ago on ebay for $86, the unit was used but it was in like new condition.

Happy with the purchase, until the Treo 2.............

Worth taking a look at?
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I had luck with e-Bay and you can save some money.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  9.    #9  
    Can't even afford eBay right now, and I don't want a used one. I need to know that my Treo will work right out of the gate, not take a chance that someone is selling me *their* Treo which landed in someone's cereal.

While I've read lots of good things about eBay, I've also read lots of bad, and I don't know how comfortable I feel about buying electronics through them. I'm just a jaded, cynical skeptic.

Oh, well...

Theresa
    Originally posted by clanmesa
    Can't even afford eBay right now, and I don't want a used one. I need to know that my Treo will work right out of the gate, not take a chance that someone is selling me *their* Treo which landed in someone's cereal.

While I've read lots of good things about eBay, I've also read lots of bad, and I don't know how comfortable I feel about buying electronics through them. I'm just a jaded, cynical skeptic.

Oh, well...

Theresa
    extended warranty? did you pay for this? take it back, tell them it doesn't work anymore. no need to be specific, unless they ask (and maybe not even then).

see what they say.

they will probably say we don't carry this anymore, you want to get another and just pay the difference.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11.    #11  
    Don't believe I did, although I'll check it out. I do believe I am up the proverbial creek.

Thank you guys for all your help. What I'm gathering is my current Treo is dead, dead, dead...probably.

Theresa
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Once the thing dries out it may behave differently. Once upon a time I dropped my then new Nokia 6160 which I had just shelled out nearly $300 in the toilet...literally. Luckily the water was clean. It wigged out and I yanked the battery out immediately since there was no response to any keypad input. I let it dry out and whaddya know the darn thing worked!

Just a thought, let it dry out and worry about it then.
    I'm thinking you could rinse it in distilled water, because it's non electrically conductive. I've seen TV shows where they have a whole computer running inside of a tank of distilled water. I think you can buy it at grocery stores.
    I'm not sure where the 90 battery is. I'd set it upside down for a few days to let it dry out completely. Even when the battery drains completely, there's a possibility it might be okay. Usually the issue is when the battery is alive it can fry the circuits that are shorted by the liquid. If there's an SD card in it, pull it out.

Recently I got coke in a mac laptop kb. Day 3 it didn't work. Day 5 it worked fine. I'm typing on it right now. So the key is to let it dry completely before you mess with it anymore. Might be dead, but you never know.

Kevin
    Last edited by J. Kevin Wolfe; 07/02/2003 at 07:51 AM.
    Staples has it for $160 and if you use Coupon 51914 for $30 off. Don't know if that helps or not.
  16.    #16  
    Can't afford a new Treo at any price right now, but i appreciate your trying!

Theresa
    Just call up tech support and tell them that it hasn't worked since you tried to initiate a "cereal" connection.
    If it were my Treo, I'd

(1) check the terms of the warranty

(2) rinse the unit very well with lots of distilled water - a gallon ought to do it easily

(3) let the sucker dry out - change the orientation every few hours - place it in a dry place (like *near but not on* a heater)

Best of luck.
  19.    #19  
    It's working now, but the screen is fried. Kind of useless without a screen. Warranties rarely cover things like dunking the equipment in liquid. I've made other arrangements, so thank you guys for your help!!

Theresa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast