1.    #1  
    Check out the Morningstar report:

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Sto...SA&Symbol=HAND

Looks like Mr. Hawkins is less keen on Handsprings chances than most of us are! The Morningstar link I provided shows his handspring stock transactions for the month of May. According to Cnet he has been on a steady weekly selling spree since Feb. 25.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Hawkins has a semi-startup nonprofit (or maybe not-for-profit) organization dedicated to studying the computational and "hardware" aspects of brains (!!! http://www.rni.org ), That organization needs money to exist - fairly recently Hawkins gave 2 million shares or so to that organization.

Both Hawkins for personal reason AND that origanization are selling off the same number of shares weekly until the entire 4 million are gone. A financial SEC doc was filed to that effect months ago.

Though I believe Insider sales are important to watch for various stock reason, THIS particular (set of) Insider sales are ones I don;t consider interesting! (Hawkins LONG ago said he was pulling away from Handspring to dedicate time to his Brain Institute - it's not surprising nor sinister to me at all that he's ... ahem ... diversifying his holdings by selling off HAND).

BUT ONCE AGAIN - can we keep TreoCentral semi-free of STOCK talk and restrict the discussion to the geekier side? Before we know it this message board(s) is going to decline into the namecalling that is the norm on the stock discussion boards!
    I think Handspring's stock situation is an interesting point of discussion.

Just as I don't jump in on some threads I think are not worth my time, I would suggest those that think stock discussion is a waste of bandwidth do the same.

Cluemeister
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    it's not surprising nor sinister to me at all that he's ... ahem ... diversifying his holdings by selling off HAND).

BUT ONCE AGAIN - can we keep TreoCentral semi-free of STOCK talk and restrict the discussion to the geekier side? Before we know it this message board(s) is going to decline into the namecalling that is the norm on the stock discussion boards!
    In my opinion as a long time supporter of Handspring and its products, the stock transactions may not be sinister but it is definetely interesting and relevent.

After owning several handspring products including two visor deluxes, a handspring edge (remember those), a prism, as well as a treo 270 & 180, I think Handspring is at the end of its product cycle. For many reasons mostly financial, I believe if they don't get the next one "RIGHT" it will be their last one.

We will soon see how much of this speculation is correct!
    I totally agree that HAND is in deep doo-doo and have to knock THIS not only out of the ballpark but into the NEXT ballpark!

The next product that was supposedly demonstrated has to be better than what's out there already by the dozens - =I= can't think of what that would be and, I might add, apparently whatever was demonstrated to about 300 people WASN'T knock-the-socks-off enough to leak even ONE peep of information after MANY days!

At the time of this post the only information about the supposed demonstration is that single sentence in that single article in that localnews North County (Califormnia) online paper. That's IT!

I think Handspring has to do a little better than THAT to succeed in bringing new cool devices to the market.
    gates and balmer sell stock all the time. you think they dont have confidence in MS?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7.    #7  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Felipe
    gates and balmer sell stock all the time. you think they dont have confidence in MS? [/QUOTE

Felipe are you kidding me?????

Are you trying to compare Handsprings tenative financial postition to Microsoft?

Do I give a second thought to when Bill Gates sells some of his stock, at this particular time....No!

Is it relative when the heads of companies that are in a precarious financial position sell large quantities of their stock at the time that their whole companies existence may depend on the release of their next product. "ABSOLUTELY!!!".
    Afraid your take on the conference might be inaccurate. Reporters were unable to write anything without the express consent of the speaker. Also perhaps attendees had to sign a non disclosure form. While Hawkins agreed to a mention in Brad's column. He appears to have limited the content to the superior screen and smaller form factor. That information appeared in a second article by the same newspaper lon Sunday.

I believe there is meaningful chance that more information will be revealed when Walt Mossberg writes is first article after his vacation. I think the reason more information wasn't released until now is either Hand's desire to keep its lead time intact as long as possible, and or perhaps their desire to give the news content to a friend like Walt Mossberg.

Concerning their need to "hit it out of the park" to survive, I think that is inaccurate as well. Imo, the weakness of Hand that has kept them from succeeding financially has been the lack of tier one distribution relationships, where they have custom programed the device, and the service provider, co brands, markets the product and subsidizes the price in return for attracting high end customers. Sprint as the only service provider in that category as done "light years" better than all of the tier two relationships. Donna talked about a handful of those relationship coming on stream. I contend that if you take the current Sprint revenue and multiply it by 4, and then add in some additional revenue for current Treo sales which will likely continue at a lower price point, Hand's results will be dramatically more robust than they are presently.

I believe what is required is a smooth rollout of the new technology with technical glitches. If that is achieved and the new relationships are rolled out at one a quarter until there are about 4, I happen to think, Hand will be out of the financial mud and back on "dry land".
    There was no NDA for the general press, however the press was asked to keep it offthe record. However if you were not a press agent, you have free will to do whatever. (the notes from bill gates and job's speechs are online).

I hope that walt doesn't get to scoop this, but either way we will be hearing very soon.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Of course there wasn't an NDA - this was an Open To The Public extravaganza that only required money to attend.

LOTS of money.

And 300 of the public - try taking an NDA and applying it to 300 random widely-distributed people and see just how long ANYTHING, much less anything INTERESTING, stays secret.

Handspring didn't hide anything about their new product. They want COMPANIES to buy the thing (or at least to express interest in buying the thing so carriers will buy it) so there is NO WAY they hid cool features from a very rich company-executive-packed captive audience.

And, BTW, if Mossberg is THAT close to Handspring that his writings take precedence over Handspring's marketing efforts (or are an intrinsic PART of Handspring's marketing efforts!) then Mossberg should be fired.
    All of his corporate life, Jeff Hawkins as been repeatedly asked questions about how he will be able to survive as a "Jack" in the land of corporate "Giants. Clearly if Handspring finds itself in direct competition with the big boys without strong design advantages, Hand will lose simply because of its lack of scale. So Hand must rely on its lead time, to be what tips the scales in its favor.

While Hand would clearly love to generate more enthusiasm about the new Treo, two things move them in another direction. First, they are more concerned about educating tne competion prematurely, then they are about keeping you better informed. Second, Hand is in a quarter in which the new product will be unavailable. It is clearly bad business policy to trumpet all of the details of the new unavailable product, to the detriment of current sales.

Why is it that you negatively spin every single piece of news about Hand? When good news appears, and you don't have an answer, you ask the poster to stop talking about it. because it is inappropriate for this thread. Your suggestions that Hand should be anxious for everyone to know everything about the new Treo is way off base imo. Do you actually think the reporter didn't mention whether the new Treo was OS 5 or not because he didn't think anyone would be interested?
    The new unit was described as smaller and more phone like. That concerns me from a screen real estate point of view. Do I like smaller phones? Definitely. Do I want to give up screen real estate to achieve a more stylish looking device? Absolutely not.

I know it's mostly speculation at this point, but I'm cautiously pessimistic about the new treo. The current treo's problem is marketing in my opinion, not the size of the device or that it's not "phone like" enough.

Everyone who sees my treo is amazed at what it does, and they've never heard of it before. I have never heard from someone who sees it for the first time and says, "that's pretty big and clunky for a web browser/pda/phone/email device".

They say "It does all that?!?!"

Cluemeister
    [notice how the personal attacks have started? This is why I wanted to keep the discussion away from the STOCK and more to the new device - let's keep TreoCentral geek-oriented, the personal atttacks can stay on Yahoo]

Nothing gee-whiz was mentioned at the Mossberg show. Just another smartphone from Handspring that's somewhat smaller (that is, more "mainstream form-factor" as Handspring management has said more than once they want to move toward).

We KNOW (1) Arm processor (2) Palm OS 5 (or 5+) (3) PDA (4) somewhat smaller (5) better screen (that is, not a FANTASTIC screen, just better than what the existing color TREOs have (that have been noted here as not being readable in sunlight)).

We KNOW Handspring management wants their devices to be usable quickly and easily and we KNOW Handspring management is not interested in Bluetooth/802.11whatever (Hawkins interview). We also KNOW that Handspring is trying to sell their devices to carriers and corporations AND that the NEW "TREO 2" is ALSO going to be expensive (Handspring said it was going to be "high end").

Anything else is TOTALLY groundless and PROBABLY incorrect speculation.

We KNOW (1) Arm processor (2) Palm OS 5 (or 5+) (3) PDA (4) somewhat smaller (5) better screen (that is, not a FANTASTIC screen, just better than what the existing color TREOs have (that have been noted here as not being readable in sunlight)).

We KNOW Handspring management wants their devices to be usable quickly and easily and we KNOW Handspring management is not interested in Bluetooth/802.11whatever (Hawkins interview).
    I think they may just take the architecture of the Prism screen, up the resolution and use that. I've never seen a Prism, but I hear it has a great screen. As for Bluetooth, please re-read the comments in light of what he said in the same article about infrared. When you do that, it is by no means clear they intend to forgo Bluetooth. Indeed, it almost seems like they will definitely includ it. A conservative statement would be "we don't know."
    Yeah, true enough except PALM =demonstrated= their wireless capabilities at the same show and nothing of the sort was mentioned in the North County-etc article about HAND's demo AND we know the names of the radio modules that Handspring ordered from Airprime and those names imply cellular techology, not Bluetooth/802.11-etc.
    Handspring didn't hide anything about their new product. They want COMPANIES to buy the thing (or at least to express interest in buying the thing so carriers will buy it) so there is NO WAY they hid cool features from a very rich company-executive-packed captive audience.
    Here is a quote from an email from the author of the articles you read about the form factor and the screen.

"I gave the most relevant information I was able to give, in the space permitted. Hawkins did not wish me to go into too many details, so his permission was conditional.

Does this sound like Handspring didn't want to hide anything? Please be objective Seldom. Isn't it possible that Handspring wanted to limit what people were able to learn about the new Treo?
    In the past you posted the entire email - care to do it again?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I think they may just take the architecture of the Prism screen, up the resolution and use that. I've never seen a Prism, but I hear it has a great screen. As for Bluetooth, please re-read the comments in light of what he said in the same article about infrared. When you do that, it is by no means clear they intend to forgo Bluetooth. Indeed, it almost seems like they will definitely includ it. A conservative statement would be "we don't know."
    The Prism screen is significantly larger than the Treo screen and very power hungry. It is unlikely that it will be used in a future Treo. Reading between the lines regarding Bluetooth might imply that they won't use it or that they've found a better way to use it that they will be able to brag about the way that Jeff bragged about putting IR on the map with the Pilot.
    In the past you posted the entire email - care to do it again?
    I don't prefer to do it. It isn't a very complicated point and I didn't take it out of context. But I will post it providing you respond to a couple of points for me first.

1) You thought my question about what the competition is for the new Treo was a waste of time previously. Now that we have a far more accurate list of the new Treo's capabilites, please be kind enough to respond to what companies and what product you think will provide the most competition for the new Treo and why?

2) Assuming I post the entire email and you believe it is credible, is it possible you will then agree that your previous post saying that Hand was anxious to get news out about its new product was perhaps incorrect?

3) Have you ever posted perhaps under another name on the Yahoo financial thread?

I await your response Seldom.