1.    #1  
    Okay, I hate to get my hopes up, but consider the timeline:

The special "D" digital conference happened this week.

The new treo was shown at this event

Treo stock is up 25% today to $1.10.

Are they connected, or is there some other force at work here?

Perhaps, is it as I hope, that the new Treo is so great that people in the "know" are buying it up?

Cluemeister
    I hope you are right. Any ratings changes by analysts? Could be that Handspring has been considered undervalued ... hmmm, this might bear looking into. The market is to unpredictable anymore most are afraid to even speculate.
    Originally posted by Llynx
    I hope you are right. Any ratings changes by analysts? Could be that Handspring has been considered undervalued ... hmmm, this might bear looking into. The market is to unpredictable anymore most are afraid to even speculate.
    Let's not go crazy here. I'm no financial expert (by any stretch of the imagination), but no one's going to change Handspring's rating just because they demoed a cool phone (unless it could cure cancer or something). Their poor rating has to do with them losing money now. If/when they get the new phone on the market and it starts selling well, then their rating might change.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    "no one's going to change Handspring's rating just because they demoed a cool phone (unless it could cure cancer or something). Their poor rating has to do with them losing money now. If/when they get the new phone on the market and it starts selling well, then their rating might change."

Actually the way it normally works, some investors generate valuations based on past results, but smart investors buy stocks based on what will happen in the future. Clearly Hand's future circumstances revolve around three issues which are interrelated. First, how good is their new product relative to the competition. I suggest that the single group of investors in the whole country best able to answer that question are the people who just attended the conference. Second, is Hand able to bring its new product to market in a timely fashion. Third, does Hand really have a "handful" of new tier one service providers that they will be ramping up over the next year? Clearly the most critical of these 3 issues is the quality of the new product. The new service provider relationships are all based on companies like Orange believing that the new Treo will sell well on its network.

Just to be clear, I am not recommending that anyone buy Hand stock. I am responding to your stock valuations statement. Investors that make decisions based on past results, are getting a highly inaccurate picture of Hand's prospects imo. Hand's prospects will rise and fall based on just how good their new Treo really is. The investors with the most insight concerning that question, may have revealed on Friday, what they think.
    Hah! The cynical side of me thinks someone knew of the Palm buyout and used the public showing of the Treo 600 to load up on Handspring equity. They can always claim in the future they made the purchases based on the Treo knowledge.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Hah! The cynical side of me thinks someone knew of the Palm buyout and used the public showing of the Treo 600 to load up on Handspring equity. They can always claim in the future they made the purchases based on the Treo knowledge.
    so does jeff still sell his stock or is that off now?

:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.