Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    I loved the keyboard on my Treo 90. However, OS 5 envy caught me, and I bought a Clie TG-50.

    Gah. The handheld itself is wonderful, but the keyboard sucks. Rubbery, slick keys, no seperate number row, and too many functions are hidden under both a Blue and a Red shift key.

    If the Tre 600's keyboard is supposed to be an improvement on the regular Treo keyboard, I'm sooo switching back when it comes out.
    What does this button do?
  2. #22  
    I just noticed something. I'm a proficient touch typist on fullsize keyboards, but on these thumb boards I watch the keys as I type. Never noticed that before. I can do it while only watching the screen but it's slower and less accurate.

    For best results I keep a somewhat loose stare between the T and Y keys while I type, and this let's me follow my thumbs and somewhat keep an eye on the screen.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I just noticed something. I'm a proficient touch typist on fullsize keyboards, but on these thumb boards I watch the keys as I type. Never noticed that before. I can do it while only watching the screen but it's slower and less accurate.
    Yes, that's one of my problems. With Graffiti, I can watch the screen (where the final letters appear) while I write in the silkscreen area. Because of this, I'm still not 100% sure that a thumbboard really makes me faster. That said, I'm willing to believe that if I worked at it more I could get better/faster.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  4. #24  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Yes, that's one of my problems. With Graffiti, I can watch the screen (where the final letters appear) while I write in the silkscreen area. Because of this, I'm still not 100% sure that a thumbboard really makes me faster. That said, I'm willing to believe that if I worked at it more I could get better/faster.
    I got fast enough with Graffiti, but my problem was that it was really exhausting. There was just no way to relax and maintain the speed/accuracy. With the thumb board I can cruise at any speed I feel up to.
  5. #25  
    How about voice to text for the treo? Anyone working on it? That be awesome if it works well. Back to reality, is there a foldable keyboard for the Treo?
  6. #26  
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    How about voice to text for the treo? Anyone working on it? That be awesome if it works well. Back to reality, is there a foldable keyboard for the Treo?
    That cannot be done on the current one. As for the next generation, I don't know if the sound input hardware is going to be segregated from the OS.
  7. #27  
    nrosser,

    50 WPM on the Treo? You're mot kidding right? Do you use thumb only or a combination L and R hand? I'd love to see a video of you on the thumbboard blazing at 50 WPM.
  8. #28  
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    nrosser,

    50 WPM on the Treo? You're mot kidding right? Do you use thumb only or a combination L and R hand? I'd love to see a video of you on the thumbboard blazing at 50 WPM.
    I can't point you to a video of him doing it, but at one point there were videos of the "world champs" here (I think--you can still see the speeds, though):

    http://www.textware.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm
  9. #29  
    Last time I checked, which is months ago, I was typing 25wpm when I was taking it easy and went up to 30wpm when I was seriously typing. This might have gone up since, but 25 wpm is quite good, and this is from someone who, on good, normal-sized keyboards, types as fast as he speaks (and I don't speak slowly)
  10. #30  
    Thumbboard in a nutshell: Besides scratching my nose with my thumbs I canít think of a better thing to do with them.
    Graffiti in a nutshell: Ideally graffiti meant to imitate writing but how many people ďwriteĒ when using a PC or a laptop? Personally, I canít do graffiti for my life although I did try. Maybe itís a right-brain left-brain syndrome.
    In any event, thumbboards in principal are wonderful creation. As PDA/phones get smaller (customers seem to want them petite), thumbboards go through modifications (i.e. Treo 600), a cause-and-effect procedure. But perhaps the upshot of this discussion is patience: When the T600 is out we can share our opinions regarding the mini-keyboard with more facts.
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  11. #31  
    A new Graffiti software called (recoecho) is out that you can buy for $9.99 from Handango @ www.handango.com. I've been using it for about a week and it's great. The software allows you to write directly on the screen, so if you refuse to leave Graffiti behind, you'll love this! this application is pretty comparable to the Zire 71 and Tungsten C Graffiti 2 application.

    Good Luck.

    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    What I notice with Treo 270

    * lack of full-screen management with thumbboard
    * lack of complete integration of thumbboard with menus

    You have to bring out the stylus to compensate for that. And there are times you just can't do that or won't want to do that. The next software iteration should consider that and exploit interface (thumbboard and screen) very well.
  12. #32  
    I do believe rubber keys would increase my speed. I notice the ends of my thumbs getting sore, reminds me of playing a guitar, thank goodness for grafitti anywhere. I like it much better than newpen or recoecho. I agree with many of you the keyboard is by far much better than grafitti alone. I have a tungsten t that I play with, mainly surfing via bluetooth on my home lan and games, and I have noticed after a few minutes of im with some one I put it down and find the pc - too exhausting. Seems, for me at least, a combination of grafitti and keyboard works best until we get a d pad for menu navigation. my .02

    TD
  13. #33  
    One major advantage of a keyboard, in my opinion, is being able to use the device one handed. The ability to go through my shopping list with the device in my right hand and try to keep my 2 year old son under some semblance of control with my left is a major plus to me.

    JMHO

    Gargoyle
  14. #34  
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    One major advantage of a keyboard, in my opinion, is being able to use the device one handed. The ability to go through my shopping list with the device in my right hand and try to keep my 2 year old son under some semblance of control with my left is a major plus to me.

    JMHO

    Gargoyle
    That, I think is the reason I will never go back. The speed issue isn't really that huge with me, but the convenience is great. Additionally, you can launch a ton of applications with just the one hand. Using CoLauncher on the present Treo, or using the integrated features on the new one (which will be a huge plus--one I don't think people are playing up as much as they should), it's so much easier than using a traditional launcher.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions